Sponsored

Tire Pressure - rely on TPMS or old fashion manual air pressure gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

signals34

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Do you guys use the tire pressure monitoring system to set tire pressure , or do you use an old fashion manual tire pressure gauge...reason i'm asking, i'm getting different readings from both, and the manual says "
The TPMS should not be used as a tire pressure gauge
while adjusting your tire pressure."...i get that, but i set it with a manual tire pressure gauge at 38 cold, and the next morning, after using it for a day so the system can set, i check it again with the tire gauge, it reads 38, and on the tpms when i start the truck, it reads 41...not sure whats right ..??...i would like to keep it at 38 cold....
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Do you guys use the tire pressure monitoring system to set tire pressure , or do you use an old fashion manual tire pressure gauge...reason i'm asking, i'm getting different readings from both, and the manual says "
while adjusting your tire pressure."...i get that, but i set it with a manual tire pressure gauge at 38 cold, and the next morning, after using it for a day so the system can set, i check it again with the tire gauge, it reads 38, and on the tpms when i start the truck, it reads 41...not sure whats right ..??...i would like to keep it at 38 cold....
For me , I always trust the regular tire gauge, I use the tpms just to see if they’re all pretty equal, but I set my pressures manually... just my.02...:)

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
The TPMS seems very accurate, but it takes a little while to update. The pressure you see in the morning is the pressure of your tires from the last time you drove it. Check again after a mile and it should agree with your gauge.

In my experience it’s accurate but you still need a gauge to actually set your tires.

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
38 cold?? Holy sh#$ that's high

Should always adjust or set psi to target psi after driving once tire is warm

Last edited:

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
When you turn on the engine it will display the last reading before engine shutdown. When you drive around a mile you should see the current reading. You are still probably at 38 cold.

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara

Should always adjust or set psi after or while tire is warm
Tire pressures should be set cold or after the vehicle has sat for at least 3 hours. If you do need to adjust when tires are hot then you should adjust up by 4 psi then recheck when cold.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Should always adjust or set psi after or while tire is warm
Totally disagree that you "set psi after or while tire is warm". No way..

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Since the weather has warmed up, I set my OEM KO2s at 32/33 cold using a PowerTank analog gauge. The said plays nicely with the TPMS.

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Totally disagree that you "set psi after or while tire is warm". No way..
Of course you do @Rhinebeck01

Your psi will rise a few points after warming up.

If you set your psi to your liking while the tires are cold then then your psi will rise above that once they are warmed up.

Psi will rise 2-3 points

For example, if you set your psi to 37 cold and drive around thereafter your psi will rise to 40(ish)

If you set your psi to 37 warm then you know your psi will never go over that. They will just lose some pressure once they cool down again i.e being parked for the night or being at work.

Come on @Rhinebeck01 this tire pressure 101 stuff

Sponsored

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Correct. Setting it warm is really bad. It will increase as you drive, even on cold days.
Your missing my point.. by setting it warm I mean after driving around and allowing the tire to warm up then set it.

I'm not saying set it after just sitting in the sun all day then driving.

Proper way is to drive around for about 20mins then set peak tire pressure desired

@Rhinebeck01 this above further clarifies my statement

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Northeastbst

You are so wrong, so off base that it is not worth arguing with you. Laughing at you...

Seriously, all you are saying is wrong.

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Tire pressures should be set cold or after the vehicle has sat for at least 3 hours. If you do need to adjust when tires are hot then you should adjust up by 4 psi then recheck when cold.
No that's not true at all...why set or check when cold???

Your tires will warm up and increase in pressure when you drive...this makes no sense???

You want your peak desired tire pressure to be set after the tire is warmed up from driving. This will allow the pressure to go down while its parked. Then again rising to your preference once you start driving again.

It's not rocket science here guys

@Rhinebeck01
@Shooting or Jeeping

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
@Northeastbst

You are so wrong, so off base that it is not worth arguing with you. Laughing at you...

Seriously, all you are saying is wrong.
If I want my tires at 35psi while I'm driving, then I set psi to 32 while cold

Once I begin to drive and my tires warm up the psi will rise to my desired psi of 35.

I'm not arguing with you I'm teaching you

Laughing at me??? Come on, be serious

Your obviously misunderstanding everything your looking up on google.

I'm telling you you set your desired peak psi AFTER you drive around for about 30 mins and warm the tire first to maintain that pressure setting while you drive.

If I set in morning while they are cold then that means after driving my psi will rise ABOVE my desired level.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-22338-1362155139-8.gif

This truly is common sense

Are you ok?!?

Last edited:

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Your missing my point.. by setting it warm I mean after driving around and allowing the tire to warm up then set it.

I'm not saying set it after just sitting in the sun all day then driving.

Proper way is to drive around for about 20mins then set peak tire pressure desired

@Rhinebeck01 this above further clarifies my statement
Well yes, this. If you warm them and then fill- that’s ideal. I read the OP as saying he tried to balance it out first thing in the morning.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.