Sponsored

Nissan to make bid for FCA merger

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
New engine coolant! Incompatible with the old engine coolant!

Sponsored

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Quality will definitely get worst with Nissan.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Three weeks ago Mike Manley told reporters, “I want to find areas where cooperation — whether it is partnerships, whether it’s joint ventures or whether it is deeper levels of equity cooperation that makes sense for us and whoever that is — [will] give better vehicles to our customers and a better return to our shareholders, I’m very open to it.”
I think it is not a sale. There is also talk about a joint effort on some EV vehicles with the PSA group in Europe which is Puegeot

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Never been a fan Nissan or not. Too much of this leads to bad news for competition and the pricing and quality that drives. You see this all the time when companies just continue to buy all their competition. Someone has to pay for those purchases and it is always the consumer.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Three weeks ago Mike Manley told reporters, “I want to find areas where cooperation — whether it is partnerships, whether it’s joint ventures or whether it is deeper levels of equity cooperation that makes sense for us and whoever that is — [will] give better vehicles to our customers and a better return to our shareholders, I’m very open to it.”
I think it is not a sale. There is also talk about a joint effort on some EV vehicles with the PSA group in Europe which is Puegeot
Puegeot??? Oh, no!!! Get ready for Lefty-Tighty, Righty-Loosey!!! :giggle:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
There is a lot of panic for something that is basically speculation. PSA and Nissan have been in a partnership for years but that is starting to fall apart over the controversy with former PSA (and Nissan) CEO Carlos Gosen. While PSA wants them to have a full blown merger, the Japanese board of Nissan wants nothing to do with it. A divorce between them is possible. Either way, any merger talks with FCA will go nowhere until that mess is worked out.

IMO, if anything does happen between FCA and PSA, it will be a partnership and not a merger. The main reason for that is the French government, which is the largest stock holder of PSA. A PSA/FCA merger will heavily dilute their ownership stake and give them much less say in how PSA is run. A partnership, however, will give PSA access to the US market and give FCA access to some pretty good automotive platforms in Renault’s inventory. It would give both a better chance to compete with the real elephant in the room, VW.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Personally I have no issues with Nissan. I had an '02 Altima SE (first year of gen. 3) and had zero issues with it. Owned it for 8 years and never had to do anything to it except regular maintenance and replace some wearable parts (brakes, tires, etc). Well, and a few customizations. It's my second-favorite of all vehicles I've owned - first being my JL of course!

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
Nothing wrong with Nissan, overall, in my opinion.
Had 07 G35x (4 years) and have an 11 G37S 6MT with every option. Never an issue with either of them. It's a solid machine. Changed the oil and brakes. Wear and tear items only.

That being said, it doesn't necessarily mean it would automatically be a good business relationship.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
There is a lot of panic for something that is basically speculation. PSA and Nissan have been in a partnership for years but that is starting to fall apart over the controversy with former PSA (and Nissan) CEO Carlos Gosen. While PSA wants them to have a full blown merger, the Japanese board of Nissan wants nothing to do with it. A divorce between them is possible. Either way, any merger talks with FCA will go nowhere until that mess is worked out.

IMO, if anything does happen between FCA and PSA, it will be a partnership and not a merger. The main reason for that is the French government, which is the largest stock holder of PSA. A PSA/FCA merger will heavily dilute their ownership stake and give them much less say in how PSA is run. A partnership, however, will give PSA access to the US market and give FCA access to some pretty good automotive platforms in Renault’s inventory. It would give both a better chance to compete with the real elephant in the room, VW.
Well said. Well said.

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Here is a problem with Renault and a merger with FCA. They are 15% owned by the French government.

I'll leave it at that.
Sponsored