Sponsored

Broken Windshield Survey

Pick all that apply to your Jeep (multiple answers)

• Total voters

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
With all the people getting broken windshields I was wondering what combination is better or worse between trim levels and the upgraded sound system with the acoustical glass. Granted any windshield can get broken on the highway, especially it being a Jeep with a flat rectangle as the windshield. But also people have talked about the glass cracking by just turning on their defrost, or just a small pebble at low speed.
I have a 2018 JL 2 door Rubi with 8.4" touchscreen which has the upgraded sound and supposedly has acoustical glass.
I have just over 3000 miles and mine hasn't broke yet but I may also be just lucky.

Feel free to chime in with your story on how yours got broke.
Sponsored

Lgarman

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
With all the people getting broken windshields I was wondering what combination is better or worse between trim levels and the upgraded sound system with the acoustical glass. Granted any windshield can get broken on the highway, especially it being a Jeep with a flat rectangle as the windshield. But also people have talked about the glass cracking by just turning on their defrost, or just a small pebble at low speed.
I have a 2018 JL 2 door Rubi with 8.4" touchscreen which has the upgraded sound and supposedly has acoustical glass.
I have just over 3000 miles and mine hasn't broke yet but I may also be just lucky.

Mine cracked by turning the defrost on high and it was 34 degrees outside

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
I have 8,000 miles in nearly 4 months on a Rubicon with the original windshield and premium sound.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
JLUR 1yr, 20k miles, premium sound system and original windshield. Also I live in socal

USMCBK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
I learned this forum is cursed, so for those who like to post about their 0 issues..you might as well walk under a ladder, cross paths with a black cat, a break a mirror...because your jeep is now jinxed...sorry next time don't boast on how perfect you and your jeep are in front of others that aren't so fortunate ....

Sponsored

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
I learned this forum is cursed, so for those who like to post about their 0 issues..you might as well walk under a ladder, cross paths with a black cat, a break a mirror...because your jeep is now jinxed...sorry next time don't boast on how perfect you and your jeep are in front of others that aren't so fortunate ....
Did you read the OP? Itā€™s asking about different trim levels and if maybe thereā€™s a correlation with glass fragility and/or acoustic vs non-acoustic glass. I donā€™t think anyone is intentionally posting how perfect their Jeep is or, strangely as you mention, how perfect they are.

USMCBK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Did you read the OP? Itā€™s asking about different trim levels and if maybe thereā€™s a correlation with glass fragility and/or acoustic vs non-acoustic glass. I donā€™t think anyone is intentionally posting how perfect their Jeep is or, strangely as you mention, how perfect they are.
Calm down and donā€™t read to much into it.. if you read through most of the surveys the negative usually out weighs the positive.. and if you follow the forums, people who state they have no problems usually come back eventually stating they now have a problem.. but to each there own....have a nice day ...

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
Calm down and donā€™t read to much into it.. if you read through most of the surveys the negative usually out weighs the positive.. and if you follow the forums, people who state they have no problems usually come back eventually stating they now have a problem.. but to each there own....have a nice day ...
Iā€™m calm. Iā€™m not the one who took this so personally. And youā€™re missing what the poll is asking.

Iā€™d be surprised if the glass is different among different trims. However, maybe there is a difference in quality with acoustic vs non-acoustic. Who knows...

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
18 Rubicon, premium sound, original windshield.

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
2018 JLU Rubicon, 8 months, 9000ish miles, original windshield, premium sound. Windshield cracked while sitting at end of driveway with the defroster running.

IMG_20190314_175032.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
19 JLUR, standard Sound system, 3 months with original windshield before crack. I believe it cracked from the heat/defroster and temp issue. getting replaced under warranty.

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
18 JLUR with 22k miles. Took a Rock at the bottom of the windshield passenger side. Crack ran up and halfway across. I took a windshield repair kit and stopped the run. Sealed some of the crack as a stop gap. If I can get the weather and work to cooperate, iā€™ll Work on the rest of the crack and see what results I get. Itā€™s not in my line of vision, and since the accoustical glass is quite expensiveā€”-I donā€™t want to replace the glass until I have too!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I'm on my third windshield. Rubicon with acoustic glass.

Edit: these windshields chip VERY easily, and chips propagate quickly with changes in temperature.

Shakey Graves

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport Unlimited (JLU)
Occupation
Data Analysis, Photographer

2300 miles, the smallest stone ever and I was driving under 35MPH. That small crack spread within hours across half my windshield. I have a JLU, SPORT S, with standard sounds system/windshield.

winorthwoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
2018 JLU Rubicon, 8 months, 9000ish miles, original windshield, premium sound. Windshield cracked while sitting at end of driveway with the defroster running.

IMG_20190314_175032.jpg
The windshield on our new (less than 500 miles) JLU cracked sitting in the driveway warming up with the defroster on. Based on the number of posts with the same issue, I'm wondering if Jeep is going to do the right thing here or pass the buck. I live in northern Wisconsin where the winters are always cold (air temp as low as -30F is very common at night) so clearly this is going to continue to happen unless Jeep is willing to offer a fix. Any responses with suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. (0)|||||(0)
Sponsored