How to add / install hardtop and rear wiper to a soft top JL

the_weekender

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
I ended up picking up the hardtop brackets and installing them myself. Took about 30-40 min just needed a T-20 T-25 and the T-40 torx bits. Also got the rear window wiring kit. Here are some part numbers for you. I Also took photos of everything. Will upload in a few days and the Rear Wiper kit comes with a installation guide (IKEA Instructions) It involves removing the Steering wheel, Dash board, Panels all the way back , Drilling and Cutting. I feel it will take me 5+ hours. I would let the dealer do it but since the car is the new model I definitely do not want to be the test subject for it.

Brackets and Bolts for hard top:

Above Mirror
Front Left: 6830 5371 AB
Front Right: 6829 3600 AB

Above sound bar:
Left: 6829 0527 AA
Right: 6829 0524 AA

Bolt Kit:
0651 2230 AA

Rear Wiper Wiring kit:
8221 5312 AB

Install Instructions:

IMG_20181121_135046.jpg

Installing the Two Front Brackets:
- Pull down the paneling above the dash board
- You my need to take out the front mirror so you have enough room

IMG_20181121_135500.jpg

- Remove the little plastic filler pieces that are screwed in
- Bolt in the front brackets. Left = Drivers Side, Right = Passenger side .
(Once the hard to is installed you might need to adjust the adjustment screws in the front as you can see if you have excess wind noise coming in)

IMG_20181121_142042.jpg

Put it all back up

IMG_20181121_142451.jpg

Here is a video I found to get the mirror off and panels:

Next up: Brackets above front seats

IMG_20181121_140403.jpg

You need to remove panel near sound bar.
- There are 3 screws on the side you need to take off then pull down
- Then install the brackets.
- Then push it back up and install the 3 bolts. Didn't have the right yet since they gave me two lefts... but you get the idea.

IMG_20181121_144138.jpg

Notes: Make sure before you push it back up you look inside there are some set pins (yeah I broke one).

Took about 30 - 40 min.

Photos of the Hard top inside:

IMG_20181202_180647.jpg

IMG_20181202_180719.jpg

IMG_20181202_180640.jpg

Enjoy!

Rear Wiper Installation

For wiring in the rear wiper took me around 9 Hours it looks easy enough in the booklet. But, it looks like an Engineer wrote it and didn't actually have to do it. Best advice take it slow.

Here is the Instruction booklet form jeep:

Notes from doing it:
- Have someone else help you to check your work and in transcribing the instruction manual (Especially the wiring)
- Remove Driver, Passenger, Door Behind Driver (This will make it so you wont have to walk around them)
- Passing through the firewall on the driver side us a coat hanger to find where to cut.
- Passing through the firewall on the passenger side coat hanger thought the wheel well.

Whats involved:
- Removing all the paneling from the drivers side from from the front to the truck
- Removing passenger side paneling.
- Removing the window washer reservoir
- Plugging and re-pinning wires in the fuse box
- Removing the Steering wheel & Air Bag

Videos I used to help:

Photos of the box:

115414-44f24243e89e510e019d99149d2a3815.jpg

115415-3423a9e590b84e6efe545413ddd143f2.jpg

Enjoy!
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary_S

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Mojito Green - 2019 JL Wranger Sahara Billet Silver
Thanks for the post. I want to save in case I ever want to add a hardtop.

Hartdt

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
Update for everyone:
I ended up picking up the hardtop brackets and installing them myself. Took about 30-40 min just needed a T-20 T-25 and the T-40 torx bits. Also got the rear window wiring kit. Here are some part numbers for you. I Also took photos of everything. Will upload in a few days and the Rear Wiper kit comes with a installation guide (IKEA Instructions) It involves removing the Steering wheel, Dash board, Panels all the way back , Drilling and Cutting. I feel it will take me 5+ hours. I would let the dealer do it but since the car is the new model I definitely do not want to be the test subject for it.

Brackets and Bolts for hard top:

Above Mirror
Front Left: 6830 5371 AB
Front Right: 6829 3600 AB

Above sound bar:
Left: 6829 0527 AA
Right: 6829 0524 AA

Bolt Kit:
0651 2230 AA

Rear Wiper Wiring kit:
8221 5312 AB

Happy Holidays Everyone!
I am supposed to pick up my hardtop at a dealer tmrw am. 5.5 hour drive one way. They said all I needed was the 8 bolts for the back portion. No mention of the mounting plates on the sport bar or above the mirror/visors. You prob just saved me a long trip for nothing. My Jeep is a soft top JLU and will be adding the hard top. Should I assume that my Jeep prob does not have the plates?

Thanks in advance for you help.

OP
OP
the_weekender

the_weekender

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am supposed to pick up my hardtop at a dealer tmrw am. 5.5 hour drive one way. They said all I needed was the 8 bolts for the back portion. No mention of the mounting plates on the sport bar or above the mirror/visors. You prob just saved me a long trip for nothing. My Jeep is a soft top JLU and will be adding the hard top. Should I assume that my Jeep prob does not have the plates?

Thanks in advance for you help.
Hi Hartdt,

Sorry for the supper late response. Hope this isn't to late.
You will need the brackets to get the front panels to stay on. You will be able to bolt on the rear part without any issues (The 8 bolts). But as said you will need the 4 brackets for the front ones.

The 4 Front Panel brackets Right and Left. You can't mix then up they have a Giant L and R on them. Yes in the photo are two left of behind the brackets (some one put the part in the wrong bag =( so had to go back)
115342-cc98b40a26033cb43a4679dfd633667c.jpg

Installing the Two Front Brackets:
- Pull down the paneling above the dash board
- You my need to take out the front mirror so you have enough room
115345-1d826a227e819abe16bbdb663612912a.jpg

- Remove the little plastic filler pieces that are screwed in
- Bolt in the front brackets. Left = Drivers Side, Right = Passenger side .
(Once the hard to is installed you might need to adjust the adjustment screws in the front as you can see if you have excess wind noise coming in)

115346-21b6e00c500cf4c91abac61b2353bb7f.jpg

Put it all back up
115347-e6e58ced4e7e9d74a66973a18500de48.jpg

Here is a video I found to get the mirror off and panels:

Next up: Brackets above front seats

115349-14718f1eb2aed67d3ab2fbceeb8d2f99.jpg

You need to remove panel near sound bar.
- There are 3 screws on the side you need to take off then pull down
- Then install the brackets.
- Then push it back up and install the 3 bolts. Didn't have the right yet since they gave me two lefts... but you get the idea.
115350-1f7ec34f70045247a4d8cdfa62c4b498.jpg

Notes: Make sure before you push it back up you look inside there are some set pins (yeah I broke one).

Took about 30 - 40 min.

Photos of the Hard top inside:

115362-12a659c4f5454ddd61ad8abe9279f112.jpg

115360-7bdd9aca4af90f6b82abff3cadced66d.jpg

115361-4a033f339e4d502bb88be24d47d777f9.jpg

Enjoy!

IMG_20181121_135046.jpg

IMG_20181121_135500.jpg

IMG_20181121_142042.jpg

IMG_20181121_142451.jpg

IMG_20181121_140403.jpg

IMG_20181121_144138.jpg

IMG_20181202_180647.jpg

IMG_20181202_180719.jpg

IMG_20181202_180640.jpg

OP
OP
the_weekender

the_weekender

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello All,

For wiring in the rear wiper took me around 9 Hours it looks easy enough in the booklet. But, it looks like an Engineer wrote it and didn't actually have to do it. Best advice take it slow.

Here is the Instruction booklet form jeep:

Notes from doing it:
- Have someone else help you to check your work and in transcribing the instruction manual (Especially the wiring)
- Remove Driver, Passenger, Door Behind Driver (This will make it so you wont have to walk around them)
- Passing through the firewall on the driver side us a coat hanger to find where to cut.
- Passing through the firewall on the passenger side coat hanger thought the wheel well.

Whats involved:
- Removing all the paneling from the drivers side from from the front to the truck
- Removing passenger side paneling.
- Removing the window washer reservoir
- Plugging and re-pinning wires in the fuse box
- Removing the Steering wheel & Air Bag

Videos I used to help:

Photos of the box:

115414-44f24243e89e510e019d99149d2a3815.jpg

115415-3423a9e590b84e6efe545413ddd143f2.jpg

Enjoy!

Attachments

Sponsored

Hartdt

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
Thank you! Great info.

BaylorJL

First Name
Baylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-Door JL
Thank you @the_weekender . I'm not sure how you were able to install the wiring harness and steering column stalk with those instructions. Question: was your part number for the bolts a single bolt or a set? Looks like it was a single bolt and washer to me based on the $0.88 price I was quoted, so I ordered 12.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Dan @the_weekender this is super strong work: even as a Dual Top Owner not needing this for myself.

A question and a comment: Perhaps I missed it, or it is otherwise included, say, with the 8221 5312 AB MOPAR Wiper Kit, but 1) what provisions if any can or have been effected to permit windshield wiper fluid to spray on the back window(?), and 2) the video on accessing the mirror, while excellent, is for those with the power mirror.

If anyone comes to the thread and says hate like: "what moron would spend all their time doing this," as if they are forced to, just ignore it. You're awesome for not only doing but writing this up. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~

jf8042

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Very nice thread. Super helpful, and something to consider for my JL.

OP
OP
the_weekender

the_weekender

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dan @the_weekender this is super strong work: even as a Dual Top Owner not needing this for myself.

A question and a comment: Perhaps I missed it, or it is otherwise included, say, with the 8221 5312 AB MOPAR Wiper Kit, but 1) what provisions if any can or have been effected to permit windshield wiper fluid to spray on the back window(?), and 2) the video on accessing the mirror, while excellent, is for those with the power mirror.

If anyone comes to the thread and says hate like: "what moron would spend all their time doing this," as if they are forced to, just ignore it. You're awesome for not only doing but writing this up. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Rehneld,

You are correct I did not say what was included in the kit: ( It can be found in the installation Manual as well)

- JL Hard top Harness
- New “SCCM” (Not sure what it stands for) Wiper controls - Left and Right Blinker controls.
- Dummy Cap for when the hard top is not on the car.
- LHD Bottle Jumper ERC 3.6L/EC1 2.0L
- Dual Outlet Washer Pump
- AC Hose ERC 3.6L /EC1 2.0L
- Non- AC Hose ERC 3.6L / EC1 2.0L
- Diesel Hose EXJ 3.0L
- Cable Ties x20
- Curve Tire FIR Tree Clip x3
- Nut (For the steering wheel)
- Plastic Rivets x4 (purchased a plastic rivet gun off amazon)

Reasons for installing the wiper wiring and rear defroster + Fluid line is. If I’m not at work in the winter I will be in the Mountains snowboard. Installing the harness was fun. My Brother in-law was over for thanks giving so we got some beer and we cranked it out on Black Friday. And after seeing what has to be done to complete this. There is no way I would trust anyone to do this.

For getting the rear wiper to work.

- Make sure you take your time and have someone helping you to double check the wiring.

o When you are finished check to see if everything still works. It should. Front Wipers, Window washer fluid and defroster for the mirrors (if you have them). You do not have to do this right away but, you will need to drive to the dealership and have them re-program the computer to get the rear wiper, rear sprayer and defroster to work. (Charge me for an hour of labor)

Which brings me to the one mistake I made. Which was, I had the lines from the washer fluid pump switched. To fix this I used some of the extra parts left over to and swapped the fittings in the engine bay. Rather than having to pull the entire window washer reservoir out again.

For the Powered Mirror I did place that video there since it showed how to take the mirror off, which should be the same on the other models. You just will not have the wires, which for the hard-top install should make it easier. As well for my dash camera I did not use the wires in the mirror for it.

When I did this entire install. I also hard wired my Think ware F800 Pro with rear camera. Since I had to run the lines for the rear window anyways, why not add in the wire for the rear camera. For my Dash Cam I ran the lines into the engine area just like the ones from the rear wiring harness.

After doing this If you think you will want a hardtop in the future. Just buy a car with the dual top group.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask away. And yes, I do wish I made a video on this but it would have taken me much longer.

-Dan

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
the_weekender

the_weekender

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you @the_weekender . I'm not sure how you were able to install the wiring harness and steering column stalk with those instructions. Question: was your part number for the bolts a single bolt or a set? Looks like it was a single bolt and washer to me based on the $0.88 price I was quoted, so I ordered 12.
Hi BaylorJL,
Since I had the dealership order the bolts. I am not sure if they came in one bag or they had to order them individually. At $0.88 it definitely seems like they are each. So how did they end up coming?

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
SCCM = Steering Column Control Module

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
This is way more in depth than I thought. I wasn’t even thinking about taking the steering wheel/column apart. Sounds like a weekend project. Do you have a rough estimate of the cost for everything needed for completion?

CBurrr23

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I installed my wiring harness 6 months ago and at the time there was no option to make the rear defog work as my jeep did not come with heated mirrors. Do you know if theres an update to this? Or was your vehicle equipped with heated mirrors?

SubZero_JL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Military
Hi Rehneld,

You are correct I did not say what was included in the kit: ( It can be found in the installation Manual as well)

- JL Hard top Harness
- New “SCCM” (Not sure what it stands for) Wiper controls - Left and Right Blinker controls.
- Dummy Cap for when the hard top is not on the car.
- LHD Bottle Jumper ERC 3.6L/EC1 2.0L
- Dual Outlet Washer Pump
- AC Hose ERC 3.6L /EC1 2.0L
- Non- AC Hose ERC 3.6L / EC1 2.0L
- Diesel Hose EXJ 3.0L
- Cable Ties x20
- Curve Tire FIR Tree Clip x3
- Nut (For the steering wheel)
- Plastic Rivets x4 (purchased a plastic rivet gun off amazon)

Reasons for installing the wiper wiring and rear defroster + Fluid line is. If I’m not at work in the winter I will be in the Mountains snowboard. Installing the harness was fun. My Brother in-law was over for thanks giving so we got some beer and we cranked it out on Black Friday. And after seeing what has to be done to complete this. There is no way I would trust anyone to do this.

For getting the rear wiper to work.

- Make sure you take your time and have someone helping you to double check the wiring.

o When you are finished check to see if everything still works. It should. Front Wipers, Window washer fluid and defroster for the mirrors (if you have them). You do not have to do this right away but, you will need to drive to the dealership and have them re-program the computer to get the rear wiper, rear sprayer and defroster to work. (Charge me for an hour of labor)

Which brings me to the one mistake I made. Which was, I had the lines from the washer fluid pump switched. To fix this I used some of the extra parts left over to and swapped the fittings in the engine bay. Rather than having to pull the entire window washer reservoir out again.

For the Powered Mirror I did place that video there since it showed how to take the mirror off, which should be the same on the other models. You just will not have the wires, which for the hard-top install should make it easier. As well for my dash camera I did not use the wires in the mirror for it.

When I did this entire install. I also hard wired my Think ware F800 Pro with rear camera. Since I had to run the lines for the rear window anyways, why not add in the wire for the rear camera. For my Dash Cam I ran the lines into the engine area just like the ones from the rear wiring harness.

After doing this If you think you will want a hardtop in the future. Just buy a car with the dual top group.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask away. And yes, I do wish I made a video on this but it would have taken me much longer.

-Dan

So I recently ordered a new hard top from my dealer. They told me all applicable hardware and everything minus the wiper/defroster wiring kit is included. They said all bolts and pieces to hold freedom panels on are included as well.

How true is this? When you got yours what part # for the top did you order? Did you order from dealer or from an individual? Looking forward to seeing your replies!
Sponsored