Sponsored

If you're going off-road, protect that front differential from damage/leaking!

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I really like the build quality of the Next Venture Motorsports. I hope they release a Front Diff Skid soon.
Sponsored

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
That's not a solution, that's a cop out.
Not at all, that's a joke!

Of course this is a stupid place for the drain, bangs like that can happen anywhere with serious off road travels! I do believe however for serious rock crawling/climbing, one should have a dedicated vehicle and with that all things would be protected!

Go Jeep!!!

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Wish someone would make a slider for the rear dif for my 2018 Sahara JL Rancho doesn’t and neither does metalcloak. Rancho does make the front but not the rear

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
It would have been fine if they just protected the bolt better/created a shoulder/recessed the drain plug. Maybe a shorter plug could be designed that prevents direct rock contact.

Sponsored

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Wish someone would make a slider for the rear dif for my 2018 Sahara JL Rancho doesn’t and neither does metalcloak. Rancho does make the front but not the rear
Rancho makes one for the rear too. (Do they not make one for the Sahara axle?) I went with the MetalCloak one though.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Rancho makes one for the rear too. (Do they not make one for the Sahara axle?) I went with the MetalCloak one though.
So the Sahara and sport both have the Dana M200 axle which according to Rancho is an odd size so right now nobody makes one for the rear

Last edited:

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm struggling to see EXACTLY the problem? In Post #1 the plug looks recessed as it is .

I mean sure there's rock rash but what's the complaint? That the plug was loose? Isn't it easier to just check it occasionally and carry a spare pipe plug? I'm guessing this is NPT?

I mean I'm not in favor of dumping gear oil on the trail but the skidplate solutions look to eat up valuable ground clearance (and like they came from the AutoZone "tuner" aisle) and IME when 'crawling even 1/4" matters

What's the worst anyone has seen here? Anything beyond a loose plug?

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Benefits Manager
So the Sahara and sport both have the Dana M200 axle which according to Rancho is an odd size so right now nobody makes one for the rear
That's unfortunate.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I was wondering if it would be possible to weld up the drain hole?

Sponsored

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Benefits Manager
I'm struggling to see EXACTLY the problem? In Post #1 the plug looks recessed as it is .

I mean sure there's rock rash but what's the complaint? That the plug was loose? Isn't it easier to just check it occasionally and carry a spare pipe plug? I'm guessing this is NPT?

I mean I'm not in favor of dumping gear oil on the trail but the skidplate solutions look to eat up valuable ground clearance (and like they came from the AutoZone "tuner" aisle) and IME when 'crawling even 1/4" matters

I believe it was Eddie from [Banned Site] that damaged the plug almost beyond repair. It was leaking and he couldn't tighten or loosen the bolt due to the rock rash. That in their opinion and mine is the reason the slider is worth it. If it is too damaged to remove the plug, that extra plug you suggest isn't going to do you any good. I have the Rancho diff slider on my rig, I go wheeling often and the lost clearance hasn't been an issue for me. The slider does it's job well. Again, this is my opinion. The slider is a little pricey at a cost of approximately $150 but it's worth my piece of mind.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure

Damaging the drain plug is only one element of concern. Damaging the diff covers is another real concern for many.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I was wondering if it would be possible to weld up the drain hole?
Short answer: yes

Longer answer: successfully welding cast is kind of a hassle. I agree that tacking a plug in place would be best. To fully weld it you'd want to pre-heat, post-heat and use a high nickel rod. I'd hate to sink that much heat into an expensive, new housing (that's just me). I've done it with junkyard 14 bolts without worry :)
Sponsored