Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
So I've seen a lot of negative comments about ESS and I don't get it....

For me personally my experience of ESS is:

1 - it saves fuel and money
2 - it reduces emissions that contribute to climate change
3 - I actually like sitting at junctions or in traffic without the noise and vibration of the engine running (it's hardly the smoothest engine in the world)
4 - it reduces engine wear
5 - the engine always starts within the split second of taking my foot off the brake and moving to the accelerator so quickly and smoothly it's never an inconvenience

I don't subscribe to the view that the constant stop start increases wear on the starter motor etc to any great degree - pretty much every new car here in Europe comes with this system, but if there are other real life experiences I'll listen...

So what's not to like...?
Manufacturing that 2nd battery caused more "climate change" than ESS would ever save.

"Reduces engine wear"...by turning the jeep on/off 50X a day? You dont understand how engines work do you? I dont care what they tell you.

"Noise and vibration"...what the heck do you have under the hood of your Jeep?

"Saves fuel and money"...and how much do you think you paid for that system( standard, yes, but you paid for it one way or another). You think it ESS saves you more than it cost?

"Climate change"....:CWL::CWL: the clothes you wear, the food you eat, things like simply going to a mall causes more "climate change" than your vehicle.

You may ask going to the mall?? Yes, your a consumer...so to keep the mall open they must heat it, or cool it, they need to power the building, mall produces waist(garbage), just about every store has deliveries and shipments, etc etc etc etc.....every aspect of keeping, just one mall open, branches off into thousands of other equal or greater effects. Try to wrap your head around what I'm trying to say and you will notice the hypocracy in your argument.

"Climate change" oh please

Theres a very valid argument for littering and excessive garbage and what to do about it, but "climate change" caused by us is absolute non sense

Wind, water and fire are the most powerful and influential forces on this earth, not humans.

Last edited:

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Personally, I feel that the ESS causes more harm to certain vehicle components than the fuel it attempts to save.

With respect to climate change, if one is so inclined to believe, this is the wrong vehicle.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Well I gave you a reasoned argument and you gave...well hardly a reasoned argument. Happy to listen to different views, but facts and logic are always preferable to simple abuse
It could be that no one cares if you like it.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Personally, I feel that the ESS causes more harm to certain vehicle components than the fuel it attempts to save.

With respect to climate change, if one is so inclined to believe, this is the wrong vehicle.
I think a few engineers would disagree with you.

However, anthropogenic climate change is weak science at best.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
To heck with ESS and all it’s BS, the only real reason for ESS is government mandates and demanding better mpg’s for vehicles and if I wanted better mpg’s I would have purchased this

DB739696-36F2-45D7-BFFE-7BF128E32874.jpeg

That I can park here

0A576200-8D52-4102-9296-F20DC54A9D0D.jpeg

But I will sure take this and lose the mpg’s, for one thing it’s alot cooler looking and I have ESS disabled and don’t have much use for it and have a ESS battery bypass in my glove box that I can use when that pissy battery craps out and keeps my JL from starting

6BB5558C-A7C8-4759-B284-C53AE76A732B.jpeg

Sponsored

ETCMSSRetJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR Hella Yella, 6 spd, loaded, Warn Zeon 10S, otherwise stock
Occupation
Trainer. Retired Navy Submarine Nuke
I don't mind it on my JL, which is a manual. I hardly notice it because it takes me a second or so between releasing the brake pedal and engaging the clutch. I'm getting old and slow. However I can tell you in full honesty that the same feature on a couple of my past auto transmission vehicles (one of them a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk) nearly killed me - or at least nearly caused an accident. I often didn't realize the engine shut off. If I was trying to turn onto a busy road from a full stop and needed to launch into a tight merge, that delay for the engine to start was long enough to be a problem. There were several instances where it was absolutely panic inducing. Not something you want in that situation when there is traffic inching up behind you and traffic bearing down from the side and you are committed with no way out. I'm not a fan of it as a feature and I'm dubious about any effect on efficiency. If there was an OWNER option to disable it - I would.

BCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99TJ, 2019JLURubicon
Just a note for ETCMSSRetJoe:

On a 2019 JLU Rubicon w/ a manual transmission there is a button which disables ESS, it just needs to disabled each time you start the vehicle.

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

So I've seen a lot of negative comments about ESS and I don't get it....

For me personally my experience of ESS is:

1 - it saves fuel and money
2 - it reduces emissions that contribute to climate change
3 - I actually like sitting at junctions or in traffic without the noise and vibration of the engine running (it's hardly the smoothest engine in the world)
4 - it reduces engine wear
5 - the engine always starts within the split second of taking my foot off the brake and moving to the accelerator so quickly and smoothly it's never an inconvenience

I don't subscribe to the view that the constant stop start increases wear on the starter motor etc to any great degree - pretty much every new car here in Europe comes with this system, but if there are other real life experiences I'll listen...

So what's not to like...?
Sponsored