Sponsored

Running wires from back bumper to Auxiliary switches

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Do you need diodes if installing to Aux Switch?
if so why?
@pcpopcorn

If you are running a wire directly from the Aux switch wire to your b/u light(s) and that is the b/u lights only source of 12v power, then no you do not need to use a diode(s).
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would not run them in the frame. If you ever want to lift the body to do some serious mod or work it will be a pain. From the factory, there are a few things to disconnect (brake lines, fuel filler, wire harness connectors, etc.) and the body can be lifted. This will not be possible with wires run inside the frame and then into the body. There are wiring channels inside the body with factory wiring. I think it's best to put any additional wiring in the same channels as the factory wiring.
We are talking one single 16g wire, that you will have slack in.. Even if it eventually had to be replaced it would be no big deal to do so...

We'll let you do as you say. 8-) ............... No way would I do that in this particular case.

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLR HellaYella!
I ended up using a wire from the Trailer Plug. I have the trailer tow package but I will never ever ever tow anything with my Jeep.. so I used the left-turn tow plug wire from the power distro box under the hood to power my new lights under the rear bumper :)

I wired my new rear-end lights to power on with Reverse gear or from Aux switch 2 on the dashboard.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ended up using a wire from the Trailer Plug. I have it but I will never ever ever tow anything with my Jeep.. so I used the left-turn tow plug wire from the power distro box under the hood to power my new lights under the rear bumper :)
@LagunaJim1

Huh.......... you lost me on this one... please explain, I'm curious as heck.

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@LagunaJim1

Huh.......... you lost me on this one... please explain, I'm curious as heck.
Ok, so I have the Trailer Tow package which includes the 7-pole trailer plug receptacle under the rear bumper. That 7-pole is normally used to drive the lights and maybe a braking system on a trailer. Each of the leads in it go back to a fuse in the fuse box under the hood.

I steal that connection from the back to the front and use it for my purposes. In the back I cut into the harness just behind the trailer receptacle housing. In the fuse box, I've got a hack I've used many times before: I take one of those little "Add A Circuit" fuse taps and cut off one of the two prongs. Then I use the remaining prong in the fuse socket to connect to the lead that goes to the rear. You have to be competent with a voltmeter because you must determine which pin of the fuse is "hot" with whatever the factory designs it for and the "cold" side which is simply the lead that runs to the back of the vehicle.

I used the Ground wire at the rear end of the trailer harness without modification, and also the "Reverse" wire that is present there.

So I only needed one lead from front to back so I could drive the rear lights from the Aux 2 power source.

Try to process what I've written here, and if you still aren't quite there I'll be happy to help further :)

Sponsored

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
@Maddingo
I installed Rigid b/u lights on my back bumper. I ran the wire from AUX 3 connection in the engine compartment, through the frame rail on the passenger side.

You can access the frame rail right below the JL's main battery. Just drop the wire straight down to the hollow frame rail... Running the wire through the frame rails is easy ... it iss a straight shot. Just fish it through. Took me about 10 mins to do.

You are only running a single wire from upfront through the frame rail.. You ground your Rigids right at the rear bumper.

Sure you could pickup an Aux in the passenger foot well but for exterior lights, it makes little sense to do this.

rigid-lites.jpg

This is how I did my light bar on the rear bumper.

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's how my lights are in -- I realize it blocks the tow outlets ;)

About the only thing you could tow with a Jeep is a single Jet-Ski or maybe a single dirt bike on a tiny trailer, so . . .

p.s. the dual exhaust is a Magnaflow, and I love it!!

IMG_1616.JPG

IMG_1617.JPG

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
@Maddingo
I installed Rigid b/u lights on my back bumper. I ran the wire from AUX 3 connection in the engine compartment, through the frame rail on the passenger side.

You can access the frame rail right below the JL's main battery. Just drop the wire straight down to the hollow frame rail... Running the wire through the frame rails is easy ... it iss a straight shot. Just fish it through. Took me about 10 mins to do.

You are only running a single wire from upfront through the frame rail.. You ground your Rigids right at the rear bumper.

Sure you could pickup an Aux in the passenger foot well but for exterior lights, it makes little sense to do this.

rigid-lites.jpg

I'd go with this method.

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase
there are some 12v in the back if you have an Unlimited. you could power the fuse with the aux switch.
Screenshot_20180816-204423_Chrome.jpg
I have the JLU I'm gonna find those cables tonight! I hope I can use them to connect the Trailer Wiring Harness.

PunknU

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Here's how my lights are in -- I realize it blocks the tow outlets ;)

About the only thing you could tow with a Jeep is a single Jet-Ski or maybe a single dirt bike on a tiny trailer, so . . .

p.s. the dual exhaust is a Magnaflow, and I love it!!

IMG_1616.JPG

IMG_1617.JPG
Nice Lights!! What brand/model are they?

Sponsored

LagunaJim1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
This may be a stupid question, but if I tap into the 7 PIN trailer tow HOT will it still work for lighting my trailer?

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
This may be a stupid question, but if I tap into the 7 PIN trailer tow HOT will it still work for lighting my trailer?
Shouldn't be a problem as long as the combined load doesn't exceed the maximum rating for the 7-pin hot.

ericpascual

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
@Maddingo

rigid-lites.jpg

What kind of wire gauge and length did you need for the power wire and did you use any wire loom to protect the wire from exterior elements?

LVZen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 Door 3.6L
@Maddingo

Jeep Wrangler JL Running wires from back bumper to Auxiliary switches IMG_1617.JPG

Thanks for this. Worked great.
Sponsored