Sponsored

If you're going off-road, protect that front differential from damage/leaking!

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Another confirmation that one of the few things Jeep got wrong on the new JL is the front diff drain plug. If you are going off-road, especially in rocks, get a rock slider under there. Mine took some hits, it turned and started a slow leak. Could of been much worse! I was able to get over a full rotation on it before it started getting tight again. Hopefully we'll see more vendors release diff sliders for the front soon. Right now, Rancho is the only one I know about.

IMG_6681.JPG
Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
And a heavy duty diff cover front and rear. Was wheeling with a buddy one time, and he backed into a big rock. His stock cover caved in on his ring gear, breaking the teeth off, and putting a hole in the cover.

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Another confirmation that one of the few things Jeep got wrong on the new JL is the front diff drain plug. If you are going off-road, especially in rocks, get a rock slider under there. Mine took some hits, it turned and started a slow leak. Could of been much worse! I was able to get over a full rotation on it before it started getting tight again. Hopefully we'll see more vendors release diff sliders for the front soon. Right now, Rancho is the only one I know about.

IMG_6681.JPG
Dumbest location to put a drain plug

Come on Jeep!!

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
I have the Rancho one, it's pretty sturdy and easy install. It's also a lot better than nothing.

20190113_121431.jpg

Sponsored

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
I know the obvious is a skid plate, but I wonder if some genius somewhere has a simple-but-highly-effective solution to this problem. Is a skit plate it???

OP
OP
TxJeepers

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I know the obvious is a skid plate, but I wonder if some genius somewhere has a simple-but-highly-effective solution to this problem. Is a skit plate it???
Maybe not simple but an upgrade to a Dynatrac Prorock 44 can also solve it. Lol.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
It seem so TOTALLY SCREWED UP--JEEP spent 10 years CORRECTING the JK problems and then they issue this KINDERGARTEN OBVIOUS front DIFF. DRAIN PLUG--

I gotta go with the RANCHO SKID PLATES--I used them for 8 years on my '08 JKUR and SPECTACULAR !

W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
I have been waiting for @Metalcloak for this as well. Hopefully soon..
Matson from Metalcloak said that their front diff skid would be in production in another month or so.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Metalcloak rear ordered, and the Rancho front. once Metalcloak comes out with the front I will swap out the Ranco one for the Metalcloak one. I also have the full Undercloak skid system, and the Rock Hard LCA skids ordered.

after sliding under the JLUR, I was shocked at how exposed everything was. seems like FCA got everything wrong in regards to rock protection.

1. front and rear diff, easy to trash due to drain plug location and ridges.
2. no skid for oil pan or transmission.
3. exhaust loop vulnerable
4. FAD not the best protection
5. STEERING STABILIZER LOCATION SUCKS
6. muffler easy target
7. coolant lines on the 2.0 rear battery. (I have the 3.6, so the one does not impact me)

I'm sure I am missing more, and not counting how the rear bumper and Rubicon rock rails damage the body tub due to flex.

while the Jeep can do so much off-road, there is a good chance of damage that you would expect would be protected against (especially in a Rubicon)

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I have the Metalcloak rear ordered, and the Rancho front. once Metalcloak comes out with the front I will swap out the Ranco one for the Metalcloak one. I also have the full Undercloak skid system, and the Rock Hard LCA skids ordered.

after sliding under the JLUR, I was shocked at how exposed everything was. seems like FCA got everything wrong in regards to rock protection.

1. front and rear diff, easy to trash due to drain plug location and ridges.
2. no skid for oil pan or transmission.
3. exhaust loop vulnerable
4. FAD not the best protection
5. STEERING STABILIZER LOCATION SUCKS
6. muffler easy target
7. coolant lines on the 2.0 rear battery. (I have the 3.6, so the one does not impact me)

I'm sure I am missing more, and not counting how the rear bumper and Rubicon rock rails damage the body tub due to flex.

while the Jeep can do so much off-road, there is a good chance of damage that you would expect would be protected against (especially in a Rubicon)
One of the very first things I'm doing when I get my JLUR in two weeks is adding all the necessary skid plates and replacing the stock rock rails. I'm honestly surprised that Jeep doesn't offer an upgraded skid plate option for the Rubicons as a factory option, but it probably wouldn't be nearly as good as aftermarket.