Sponsored

Anyone removed the windshield?

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Has anyone fully removed (not just folded down) the windshield for off roading? Folding down is great, but some view of the ground is blocked. Any issues with removing and reattaching?
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Has anyone fully removed (not just folded down) the windshield for off roading? Folding down is great, but some view of the ground is blocked. Any issues with removing and reattaching?
Probably not a great idea since the hinges are painted over, you'd surely damage the paint by taking them off. Other than that it would theoretically not be a big deal.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
The glass repairman removed my windshield, and I would say he’ll do it again sometime.:(
Not the frame though ;)

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yup, I’ve done it, just lay a couple of towels on your hood first. Once the bolts are off(one bolt per hinge) and you have it laying down flat, push or pull it to the drivers side and then pick it up and off. I found it very easy to do.

5E635941-41FA-4D2C-B435-E7F9C2BE08A8.jpeg

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Probably not a great idea since the hinges are painted over, you'd surely damage the paint by taking them off. Other than that it would theoretically not be a big deal.
There is only one bolt per hinge to remove. This separates the hinge in half. You don’t take the hinges off. Just like the doors.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
There is only one bolt per hinge to remove. This separates the hinge in half. You don’t take the hinges off. Just like the doors.
Fair enough, I stand corrected. I'll admit I've never looked that closely.

OP
OP

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Great! Thanks for the picture. I checked my bolts, and they are painted. Did the the wrench scratch the inside of the bolt’s head, or did it come off without damage? Just wondering if there is some trick to it.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Great! Thanks for the picture. I checked my bolts, and they are painted. Did the the wrench scratch the inside of the bolt’s head, or did it come off without damage? Just wondering if there is some trick to it.
I don’t recall it being that hard to remove the bolts. Just make sure you use the correct torx size. I haven’t noticed scratches in the inside of the bolt head but I wasn’t really looking at the time. Couldn’t be that bad or I would have freaked out. There is always touch up paint.

Edit: just checked and they look fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ArchAngel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I don’t recall it being that hard to remove the bolts. Just make sure you use the correct torx size. I haven’t noticed scratches in the inside of the bolt head but I wasn’t really looking at the time. Couldn’t be that bad or I would have freaked out. There is always touch up paint.

Edit: just checked and they look fine.
Excellent. Thanks again.