Sponsored

EAG Matrix Tube Half Doors Review (with Pics)

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I looked all over for reviews of these budget priced tube half doors for the JL with no luck so I decided to bit the bullet and give them a try. For me living in Washington half door use will be a few months a year and even then just occasionally so cost was a factor. The 3 reviews I did find were all very good.

They arrived well packages and the only assembly was install the hinges and the mirrors, which took about 1 hour from box to jeep.

The powdercoat finish was in flawless condition and matched my steps and Bumper perfectly, he screws and bolts were all Stainless, the mirrors were decent with great rear view. The Mesh are all velcro heavy duty straps, the Velcro allows you to keep them tight.. I like the mesh as we have a small dog and this will keep him safe and in the Jeep. Overall I give them a 9 out of 10.

The fit was easy and required NO adjustment, however there is adjustment on the latch mechanism if needed. They close nice and so far no rattling except maybe of an aggressive bump.

I looked at all the Tube doors most were $800 to $1000 and beyond, I tried to figure out what was so special about them that justified the cost and I just cold not see the cost justification especially without mirrors or a screen or mesh filler

The EAG set of 4 Doors including mirrors $439 (I ordered from Amazon)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GCD43YW/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have dual tops however my hard top will stay on till late April so here are a couple pics with the hard top on

half%20doors%201_zpssphpnq1h.jpg

kalf%20doors%202%20-%20Copy_zpsrckt7jxl.jpg

half%20doors%203%20-%20Copy_zpslxsf4d0a.jpg
Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Good review. I’ve considered those as well. I’m using their tire relocation bracket and it is very well made and hard to beat for the price. Thanks for posting the review with good pics.

JLRoachicon

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo, 2006 Ducati 999S (RIP)
Vehicle Showcase
I looked all over for reviews of these budget priced tube half doors for the JL with no luck so I decided to bit the bullet and give them a try. For me living in Washington half door use will be a few months a year and even then just occasionally so cost was a factor. The 3 reviews I did find were all very good.

They arrived well packages and the only assembly was install the hinges and the mirrors, which took about 1 hour from box to jeep.

The powdercoat finish was in flawless condition and matched my steps and Bumper perfectly, he screws and bolts were all Stainless, the mirrors were decent with great rear view. The Mesh are all velcro heavy duty straps, the Velcro allows you to keep them tight.. I like the mesh as we have a small dog and this will keep him safe and in the Jeep. Overall I give them a 9 out of 10.

The fit was easy and required NO adjustment, however there is adjustment on the latch mechanism if needed. They close nice and so far no rattling except maybe of an aggressive bump.

I looked at all the Tube doors most were $800 to $1000 and beyond, I tried to figure out what was so special about them that justified the cost and I just cold not see the cost justification especially without mirrors or a screen or mesh filler

The EAG set of 4 Doors including mirrors $439 (I ordered from Amazon)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GCD43YW/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have dual tops however my hard top will stay on till late April so here are a couple pics with the hard top on

half%20doors%201_zpssphpnq1h.jpg

kalf%20doors%202%20-%20Copy_zpsrckt7jxl.jpg

half%20doors%203%20-%20Copy_zpslxsf4d0a.jpg
I just received the Body Armor trail doors and mirrors. I had them on my JK and really liked them. If I had seen these on a Jeep, I probably would have bought them instead. They look pretty darn good! :like: And the price, man that’s a great price for everything.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Did you compare build materials?

Type of metal used, paint, powder coat, where made?

I'm big on "buy cheap = get cheap"

Not saying that's your case, I really hope it isnt - just bring things to light that you may not have even thought about.

99% it's worth saving or spending a little extra on top quality parts for your Jeep...trust me.

Truly hope those doors work out bud, let us know...shoot, if they do I may get em'!

It is steel tubing that is powder coated, with a fabric mesh and a simple latch mechanism it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out this is not a complex component to manufacture. It is from China hence the cost. Buy Cheap does not mean get cheap that is extremely short sighted especially with no baseline to establish cheap, one could say the rest is all over priced.... Example US companies that sell LED fixtures for the wranglers charge more than most of the imported LED products however those US companies import all the LED electronics they use in their fixtures, they make you think made in the US so it is worth more when in fact the core electronics are made outside the US (mostly in China). Do not think for a minute that Mopar does not import and significant portion of the components in the Wrangler, Why do they import, to manage cost.

Quite often US companies charge more and deliver equal quality product compared to lower cost imported product. This is why I wrote this review I am providing my hands on experience and share my opinion of the quality.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Rugged Ridge Tube doors however for $900 Delivered they are just the tubed doors and latch, no mirror (optional) and NO fabric filler (not even available), can someone explain why more than double the cost? it is just powder coated steel with a basic latch mechanism.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I just received the Body Armor trail doors and mirrors. I had them on my JK and really liked them. If I had seen these on a Jeep, I probably would have bought them instead. They look pretty darn good! :like: And the price, man that’s a great price for everything.

I figured what did I have to lose at this price, however to my surprise I am more than pleased, I also liked and looked at the Body Armour (also made in China) the only reason I tried these was the price, I assume it is all equal quality since it is just powder coated tubing and fabric.

Sponsored

JLRoachicon

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo, 2006 Ducati 999S (RIP)
Vehicle Showcase
I figured what did I have to lose at this price, however to my surprise I am more than pleased, I also liked and looked at the Body Armour (also made in China) the only reason I tried these was the price, I assume it is all equal quality since it is just powder coated tubing and fabric.[/QUOTE

I do believe sometimes you do get what you pay for, but that’s not always the case. I believe (hoping)this is not the case with these.
Smittybilt is made in China now too but I like their product, the looks and durability.

Bottom line is ultimately you have to be happy :like:

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
It is steel tubing that is powder coated, with a fabric mesh and a simple latch mechanism it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out this is not a complex component to manufacture. It is from China hence the cost. Buy Cheap does not mean get cheap that is extremely short sighted especially with no baseline to establish cheap, one could say the rest is all over priced.... Example US companies that sell LED fixtures for the wranglers charge more than most of the imported LED products however those US companies import all the LED electronics they use in their fixtures, they make you think made in the US so it is worth more when in fact the core electronics are made outside the US (mostly in China). Do not think for a minute that Mopar does not import and significant portion of the components in the Wrangler, Why do they import, to manage cost.

Quite often US companies charge more and deliver equal quality product compared to lower cost imported product. This is why I wrote this review I am providing my hands on experience and share my opinion of the quality.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Rugged Ridge Tube doors however for $900 Delivered they are just the tubed doors and latch, no mirror (optional) and NO fabric filler (not even available), can someone explain why more than double the cost? it is just powder coated steel with a basic latch mechanism.
There are many different types of steel my friend. Some have very high carbon some dont, etc, etc...more suseptable to rusting and holding its shape due to rockwell hardness off the metal. Could dent and ding much easier than others(or not).

Powder coating is actually very tricky to do. Yes, it may look good out of the box but was the metal prepared as well as it should have been to get powder coated? How high a quality is the actual powder coat material? Is it powder or wet spray? All factors that play in to how long the finish and components will last. Same with the latches and mesh, and quality of the welds, etc, etc, etc..

Like I said I hope it works out, keep me posted...if all good i may get em'

Stretcher

I VERY much like the look of these 'basket-style' doors man! Much better than full tube.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
There are many different types of steel my friend. Some have very high carbon some dont, etc, etc...more suseptable to rusting and holding its shape due to rockwell hardness off the metal. Could dent and ding much easier than others(or not).

Powder coating is actually very tricky to do. Yes, it may look good out of the box but was the metal prepared as well as it should have been to get powder coated? How high a quality is the actual powder coat material? Is it powder or wet spray? All factors that play in to how long the finish and components will last. Same with the latches and mesh, and quality of the welds, etc, etc, etc..

Like I said I hope it works out, keep me posted...if all good i may get em'
You must be referring to the Rugged Ridge doors at more than twice the cost that ship with non stainless hardware that are reported to rust within days. Price is not always a baseline of quality. Are these the best quality out there I am sure they are not however are the reasonable quality for my use and budget so far so good. By your standards the Bestop doors at $2000 (set of 4) must use steel and powdercoat that is 4 times better... Or Best Top is relying on their name recognition to drive higher profit margins...

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
You must be referring to the Rugged Ridge doors at more than twice the cost that ship with non stainless hardware that are reported to rust within days. Price is not always a baseline of quality. Are these the best quality out there I am sure they are not however are the reasonable quality for my use and budget so far so good. By your standards the Bestop doors at $2000 (set of 4) must use steel and powdercoat that is 4 times better... Or Best Top is relying on their name recognition to drive higher profit margins...
If they are using there name, must be because they provide great products. You dont get a reputable name just because.

Once you get big enough as a company, you are then able to invest more in what matters most...quality! And with bigger purchasing power a company has means lower prices when they buy from suppliers. Lower prices for great quality is a gold mine.

Then able to sell at a lower cost to there customers. That's every companies goal!

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about...I own one.

Sponsored

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Without purchasing power those $2000 doors would cost you more. Have to spend a little for good quality.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
If they are using there name, must be because they provide great products. You dont get a reputable name just because.

Once you get big enough as a company, you are then able to invest more in what matters most...quality! And with bigger purchasing power a company has means lower prices when they buy from suppliers. Lower prices for great quality is a gold mine.

Then able to sell at a lower cost to there customers. That's every companies goal!

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about...I own one.

Sorry to inform you Profits are every company's goal, often company;s with less name recognition have to sell lower to overcome lack of brand awareness.

This is so stupid anyway as we are talking about Tube Doors, if you want to discuss quality well there is a whole forum here with people endlessly complaining about the build quality of their Wranglers and the factory components (including Bestop). So in your infinite wisdom what does that suggest?

Just let people take my first hand review for what it is worth and they can decide for themselves with out your speculations based on NO experience...

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Sorry to inform you Profits are every company's goal, often company;s with less name recognition have to sell lower to overcome lack of brand awareness.

This is so stupid anyway as we are talking about Tube Doors, if you want to discuss quality well there is a whole forum here with people endlessly complaining about the build quality of their Wranglers and the factory components (including Bestop). So in your infinite wisdom what does that suggest?

Just let people take my first hand review for what it is worth and they can decide for themselves with out your speculations based on NO experience...
Your review is welcome as I first said. Just throwing in some advise from being a business owner and past EXPERIENCES with Jeep parts.

"No experience" :CWL:

Good luck with the doors, I truly mean it. Dont like seeing anyone spend money and things dont work out.

I agree with you though that they're only tube doors, so even if sub par quality they're still only tube doors

Good luck, keep us posted!

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum
Member Patinito also has these same doors on his Sting Gray Moab. He also got them from Amazon and says he’s happy with them.

I noticed yours has the EAG logo cutout into the front doors. Patinito’s doesn’t. I think it looks nicer without the logo. Highly considering these for our Rubicon.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Member Patinito also has these same doors on his Sting Gray Moab. He also got them from Amazon and says he’s happy with them.

I noticed yours has the EAG logo cutout into the front doors. Patinito’s doesn’t. I think it looks nicer without the logo. Highly considering these for our Rubicon.
I agree about the cutout however being black on black it is not too obvious. I am clear or flat black wrapping the wrangler next month and will be de-badging at that time only leaving the Jeep logo in flat black.

Also seeing Patinito's also played in my decision.
Sponsored