Sponsored

Rear Bumper/Tire Carriers that you have bought and thoughts on them.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have been trying to find a rear bumper/tire carrier for the JL and I am hesitant to pull the trigger for several reason.

1. Many are not available for purchase
2. There are no reviews or feedback on their quality, or ease of install
3. Cost is all over the place from 300 dollars to 2000+ dollars...So I don't know what I am paying for.
4.most do not say what they do with the license plate and light for the plate. I do not want to get pulled over all the time here in Michigan.
5.I do not want something that clanks and clicks on the back.

I want something that back up lights can be accommodated as well as the back up camera.

So if you have a rear bumper with tire carrier sound off what it is and your likes and dislikes. And maybe a link where you got it.

Big Thanks.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
We’re anxiously awaiting our roam rear bumper/tire carrier. When it comes in I’ll give you our assessment. For the price, nothing can touch it

Brett

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I have been trying to buy the Roam bumper/tire carrier since July 18, 2018. I got an email the other day saying, maybe the end of next month. I want to off road. I just can not wait any longer. I did some more searching on this site, and ran across ACE Engineering. Unknown to me, they are a Company located in Michigan. About an hour after I posted this, I contacted them, drove to their facility. AJ, gave me a tour of their manufacturing center, and showed me how all their products were made. I purchased their stand alone tire carrier. and their new JL rear bumper. I I can pick it back up in two weeks. So I should be ready for my first true off roading outing in three weeks.

I have put off going on jeep outing as I did not want to off road with the 37 in tire on the stock tailgate. It is really to bad as I love the Roam front bumper and side steps.

This is what I ended up with.

jk_stand_alone_tire_carrier_dfcd7775-683b-4bd6-9be1-5a8f8f0734a4_1024x1024.png

and the rear bumper will look like this. Note the pic is from a JK version. They just have not put up the JL version on the web site yet and it is slightly different.

jk_pro_series_rear_bumper_1024x1024.png

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I am very happy with my LOD set up. I did their whole set up; rear bumper, tire carrier, license plate relocation. They do not include anything to handle the 3rd brake light with my set up so I did buy the molar one. The license plate bullet lights are not high enough so you have to modify a standard frame to still use it. Having said that I will tell you it is a tank. Construction is amazing and I bet the bumper lasts longer than the Jeep.

IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_4223.jpg

IMG_5738.jpg

IMG_7366.jpg

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I am very happy with my LOD set up. I did their whole set up; rear bumper, tire carrier, license plate relocation. They do not include anything to handle the 3rd brake light with my set up so I did buy the molar one. The license plate bullet lights are not high enough so you have to modify a standard frame to still use it. Having said that I will tell you it is a tank. Construction is amazing and I bet the bumper lasts longer than the Jeep.

IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_4223.jpg

IMG_5738.jpg

IMG_7366.jpg
That looks tuff.

Sponsored

clobato

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 392
I have been trying to buy the Roam bumper/tire carrier since July 18, 2018. I got an email the other day saying, maybe the end of next month. I want to off road. I just can not wait any longer. I did some more searching on this site, and ran across ACE Engineering. Unknown to me, they are a Company located in Michigan. About an hour after I posted this, I contacted them, drove to their facility. AJ, gave me a tour of their manufacturing center, and showed me how all their products were made. I purchased their stand alone tire carrier. and their new JL rear bumper. I I can pick it back up in two weeks. So I should be ready for my first true off roading outing in three weeks.

I have put off going on jeep outing as I did not want to off road with the 37 in tire on the stock tailgate. It is really to bad as I love the Roam front bumper and side steps.

This is what I ended up with.

jk_stand_alone_tire_carrier_dfcd7775-683b-4bd6-9be1-5a8f8f0734a4_1024x1024.png

and the rear bumper will look like this. Note the pic is from a JK version. They just have not put up the JL version on the web site yet and it is slightly different.

jk_pro_series_rear_bumper_1024x1024.png
Nice choice! I’m running the Ace carrier and their halfback rear bumper. The bumper install was straight forward without any issues. The fit was spot on. The carrier was a little challenging to figure it out, but shortly after I installed mine, they released their JL install video, and that addressed all the stumbling blocks I ran into.

EF0DA059-A5C1-471F-AD48-48358F7E0B0E.jpeg

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door

IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_4223.jpg

IMG_5738.jpg

IMG_7366.jpg
That looks good

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Another vote here for the LoD destroyer. I had one of theirs on my TJ too and it was great, but this one is leagues ahead. Rock solid and tons of options for accessories.

And they do have 3rd brake light relocation kit as well.

2FF5C539-A3FA-4FA3-A0A3-95AA575F895A.jpeg

Rigby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubi OB
I've been waiting on the Roam as well and have given up. The lod looks really nice, I might have to bite the bullet and get it. Just not comfortable with a gate mounted hinge bouncing on these Michigan roads. Looks like it could deal some punishment if you get rear ended as well.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not wanting to derail but I spoke with Anthony today about our rear bumper. It’s been pushed back again. They are having some fitment concerns. The fact that they are continually improving and updating is encouraging albeit frustrating. I’m staying the course even though I hate the naked rear look. He told me it won’t be ready before ejs so that was disappointing too.

Brett

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Not wanting to derail but I spoke with Anthony today about our rear bumper. It’s been pushed back again. They are having some fitment concerns. The fact that they are continually improving and updating is encouraging albeit frustrating. I’m staying the course even though I hate the naked rear look. He told me it won’t be ready before ejs so that was disappointing too.

Brett
Are they sticking with that weird three hitch design?

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I love my Roam front bumper. With that said, I think Roam is making a business mistake. As I cruise this web site, I see they introduced a new gas tank,new drive shafts, new aluminum front bumper, bike rack.....etc.... They are all over the place. The majority of them are NOT available for purchase. The stuff they are making looks great, but like anything in life, a project should be completed then off to the next project.

They have a bunch of projects, but can you buy them? There are 14 products listed on their web site that you can not buy and this does not include the gas tank or drive shafts that I seen on this site yesterday. They are basically all over the place in design and nowhere in the manufacturing aspect of it. Their designs are great. just wished I could have purchased them.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are they sticking with that weird three hitch design?
As far as I know they are. I personally don’t care for it and wish it would be a single. That’s a whole lot easier to make a slider plate for but apparently the feedback on the three was positive.

I love my Roam front bumper. With that said, I think Roam is making a business mistake. As I cruise this web site, I see they introduced a new gas tank,new drive shafts, new aluminum front bumper, bike rack.....etc.... They are all over the place. The majority of them are NOT available for purchase. The stuff they are making looks great, but like anything in life, a project should be completed then off to the next project.

They have a bunch of projects, but can you buy them? There are 14 products listed on their web site that you can not buy and this does not include the gas tank or drive shafts that I seen on this site yesterday. They are basically all over the place in design and nowhere in the manufacturing aspect of it. Their designs are great. just wished I could have purchased them.
This is exactly what I brought up to them last week. They are getting caught up and will be able to support what they are designing soon. I asked Anthony why keep teasing people with products they can buy them have lead times that keep getting pushed back. We’ve been waiting on a tire carrier since nov I believe. That said, after working with them a bunch and tons of communications we are staying the course. We believe in the product but more importantly the company. They are getting things more streamlined while turning out awesome stuff at a great price point. The frustrating part is just riding out the growing pains

Brett
Sponsored