First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Commercial Project Superintendent
I had 5:13 gears put into my 2019 JLUR today. When I got to the shop to pick it up they had it on the lift still. They wanted me to hear something in the transfer case while in 4 wheel drive. It defiantly had a knock in it at about 30 miles an hour in 4hi. I crawled underneath it could not see anything obvious. Went for a test drive, everything was fine in two wheel drive. At 30mph let off the gas and engaged 4 hi, everything felt ok, took it up to 40 and let off the gas and you could hear and feel a little knock (for better lack of any other description). He said he heard the same thing and that is why he put it on the left. I have it off road in 4HI, on road in the snow in 4HI, and crawling in 4low, never heard a noise out of the transfer case. Told him I would drive it home and find a gravel road just to make sure it did not have anything to do with being on pavement. I did and the noise was still there. Tried to shift into 4HI at about 50 and it sounded like the gears were not meshing. I do have the Tazer JL and did set the gear setting to 5:13 when I dropped it off this morning. Any advise would be great! This is my first Jeep and have never gone this far in a build with a 4 wheel drive before, please tell me myself or the mechanic didn't grenade the Transfer Case, which by all the mods is properly not even close to being covered under a warranty.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions
Travis
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I had 5:13 gears put into my 2019 JLUR today. When I got to the shop to pick it up they had it on the lift still. They wanted me to hear something in the transfer case while in 4 wheel drive. It defiantly had a knock in it at about 30 miles an hour in 4hi. I crawled underneath it could not see anything obvious. Went for a test drive, everything was fine in two wheel drive. At 30mph let off the gas and engaged 4 hi, everything felt ok, took it up to 40 and let off the gas and you could hear and feel a little knock (for better lack of any other description). He said he heard the same thing and that is why he put it on the left. I have it off road in 4HI, on road in the snow in 4HI, and crawling in 4low, never heard a noise out of the transfer case. Told him I would drive it home and find a gravel road just to make sure it did not have anything to do with being on pavement. I did and the noise was still there. Tried to shift into 4HI at about 50 and it sounded like the gears were not meshing. I do have the Tazer JL and did set the gear setting to 5:13 when I dropped it off this morning. Any advise would be great! This is my first Jeep and have never gone this far in a build with a 4 wheel drive before, please tell me myself or the mechanic didn't grenade the Transfer Case, which by all the mods is properly not even close to being covered under a warranty.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions
Travis
Ouch, sorry this happened, 5.13 is massive though, you could send @chevymitchell a pm and see if he can help you out.
He recently wrote a in-depth guide on gear swaps.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-gear-swap-step-by-step-ish-rubi-4-88s.24719/

OP
OP
TDS

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
I will, and thanks for the link!

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Gear swap has nothing to do with your transfer case.. I would drain the fluid through a screen or cloth and see if any metal comes out .. you may have to get it looked at if it continues or gets louder .. would hate to see it fail on you

OP
OP
TDS

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Gear swap has nothing to do with your transfer case.. I would drain the fluid through a screen or cloth and see if any metal comes out .. you may have to get it looked at if it continues or gets louder .. would hate to see it fail on you
I know one really doesn't have anything to do with the other, was just kinda hoping it was a computer thing or something. Talked to Chevy Mitchell about, we think the installer probably did something while on the test drive. I will talk to the shop that did the work and see what they say in the morning

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Well yes and know. Not trying to be a Debbie downer but if the gears weren’t set up properly and it was placed in 4wd there could be a transfer case issue. For example, the rear was done but the front wasn’t and it was driven around in 4wd. It would be hopping like crazy and the TC could take the brunt of the damage.

The fact it was fine when you dropped it off and now it’s not is suspicious. It making noise on a lift means the damage wasn’t done in some capacity prior to the. Running it on a lift with mismatched gears wouldn’t hurt anything.

Could all be a terrible coincidence but everyone views those differently. Like someone said, drain the fluid and possible inspect inside the case

Brett

OP
OP
TDS

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Well yes and know. Not trying to be a Debbie downer but if the gears weren’t set up properly and it was placed in 4wd there could be a transfer case issue. For example, the rear was done but the front wasn’t and it was driven around in 4wd. It would be hopping like crazy and the TC could take the brunt of the damage.

The fact it was fine when you dropped it off and now it’s not is suspicious. It making noise on a lift means the damage wasn’t done in some capacity prior to the. Running it on a lift with mismatched gears wouldn’t hurt anything.

Could all be a terrible coincidence but everyone views those differently. Like someone said, drain the fluid and possible inspect inside the case

Brett

I agree, it was fine this morning and not this afternoon. Hopefully they are a stand up shop. If they don't seem willing to help then I will drain and check for metal

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree, it was fine this morning and not this afternoon. Hopefully they are a stand up shop. If they don't seem willing to help then I will drain and check for metal
Man honestly I hope it’s just a bad coincidence and something minor. Good luck and please let us know how it goes. TC is around $1500ish for a Rubis 4:1

Brett

OP
OP
TDS

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Man honestly I hope it’s just a bad coincidence and something minor. Good luck and please let us know how it goes. TC is around $1500ish for a Rubis 4:1

Brett
I hope its minor too! Is the transfer case really only about 1500? Not that 1500 isn't a lot of money, but better then I was expecting.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope its minor too! Is the transfer case really only about 1500? Not that 1500 isn't a lot of money, but better then I was expecting.
That’s what a guy paid for a used one. He was building his sport up with Rubi axles and now TC. I wouldn’t take that price to the bank but hope it’s a reference point. Never know, warranty could surprise you. For the shop to have damaged it they would’ve really had to have screwed up. Like world class screw up and I can’t fathom that level of incompetence.

Brett

Sponsored

OP
OP
TDS

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
That’s what a guy paid for a used one. He was building his sport up with Rubi axles and now TC. I wouldn’t take that price to the bank but hope it’s a reference point. Never know, warranty could surprise you. For the shop to have damaged it they would’ve really had to have screwed up. Like world class screw up and I can’t fathom that level of incompetence.

Brett
I cant ether, really nice guy who has been in business for 20+ years and great reviews

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I had a rubi t case installed yesterday on my sport. They are $2k new....I searched salvage yard data bases for a while and finally found a takeoff for $1475 delivered.

OP
OP
TDS

TDS

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
I had a rubi t case installed yesterday on my sport. They are $2k new....I searched salvage yard data bases for a while and finally found a takeoff for $1475 delivered.
That is encouraging! How did you search the data bases. You are seeing the extent of my computer skills, LOL

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Are you 100% sure it the noise isn’t coming from the new gears? I’ve had aftermarket gears that were a lot noiser than stock. Might not have been set up perfect.
Sponsored