Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

We are now able to share the following regarding the steering system for the JL and JLU.

The JL/JLU will feature Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering and the Sahara & Rubicon models will feature Telescope/Tilt Steering Column.

Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering

The goal of an electro-hydraulic power steering system (EHPS) is to combine the advantages of both hydraulic power steering and electric power steering -- natural steering feel and improved fuel efficiency.

The difference between EHPS and hydraulic steering lies in how the hydraulic pressure is generated. Where traditional hydraulic systems generate pressure with a belt-driven pump, EHPS use electric motors.

With EHPS, improved fuel efficiency can be achieved by activating the steering motor only when the driver is steering. Also, the system draws power from an electric motor and not the engine directly.

Another added advantage to EHPS over hydraulic system is that the electric motor is operated and controlled by the ECU unit which controls the motor very precisely by accurately monitoring the steering force, vehicle speed and steering angle. This advantage could potentially have a side benefit to JL/JLU Wrangler owners who upsize their tires. On past Wranglers, the larger the tire size upgrade, the more difficult and less responsive the steering became. With an adaptive ECU controlling the steering motor's level of power assist however, it's possible that the system may help mitigate against the negative steering characteristics from upsizing tires.

How does EHPS compare to a fully electric power steering (EPS) system? Unlike EHPS, EPS doesn’t use any form of hydraulic pressure to provide steering assistance. With EPS, the technology is fully electronic, so it uses an electric motor to provide direct assistance. Since there is no power lost generating and transmitting hydraulic power, these systems are typically more efficient than either hydraulic or electro-hydraulic steering.

Telescope/Tilt Steering Column

The current JK/JKU Wrangler features a tilting steering wheel, but the JL/JLU Wrangler will feature a telescoping (and tilting) steering wheel column for the first time. This feature should be very welcomed by both taller and shorter drivers.

Here is a look at the new telescoping steering wheel/column from the previously posted interior spy photos.

JL-JLU-Wrangler-Steering.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Oh please please please tell me this firms up the steering. One of my biggest gripes about my JKU is the fact it has so much play in the steering. There are countless other threads on the Wrangler forums complaining about this as well.

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
Oh please please please tell me this firms up the steering. One of my biggest gripes about my JKU is the fact it has so much play in the steering. There are countless other threads on the Wrangler forums complaining about this as well.
+1. Hope the new steering gets rid of the off-center slop! Telescoping wheel is long overdue.

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
Is it too much to hope that the aggregation of all these changes yield a 20 / 27 fuel efficiency?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Will it help mitigate the death wobble?

Sponsored

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Will it help mitigate the death wobble?
The death wobble was so ballyhooed for the JK I'm sure Jeep is making sure the JL won't exhibit the same issue. Just like a leaky roof... *I HOPE* :fingerscrossed:

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
Seriously, the death wobble needs to go. *fingers crossed*

With a 36" inseam, a telescoping steering wheel will be greatly appreciated. I don't understand why the til/telescope steering wheel will be available on higher trims only, though. I guess FCA is really that cheap on an already expensive product. :facepalm:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

With a 36" inseam, a telescoping steering wheel will be greatly appreciated. I don't understand why the til/telescope steering wheel will be available on higher trims only, though. I guess FCA is really that cheap on an already expensive product. :facepalm:
That's one of those things that seems easier in manufacturing to have in all, rather than just the high end.

Then again, it's just 2 sub-assemblies on the build. So nevermind this post...

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Not a steering issue, it's a connector issue. Get CVs (edit) and it disappears completely, so changing the steering may help deal with it, but won't eliminate it.

I don't understand why the til/telescope steering wheel will be available on higher trims only, though. I guess FCA is really that cheap on an already expensive product.
Because there are folks who want the cheapest Wrangler they can buy, and making these features standard across all platforms means the entry MSRP goes up by $xxx which more people moan about. Heck people about LED fender lights.. for when you need to fix or replace them.

That you can buy a more bare bones Wrangler is a plus to many. Even the Sport-B vs Sport-S difference in minimal features shows pretty clearly in the number of folks around there driving around with 16" steelies and basic soft top with manual transmission, doors and locks. Start making everything available on every trim level, then you end up with cookie cutter 'entry level' of 17" Rims, Auto Transmission, Power Windows/Lock and EVIC, and AC, etc and an extra $2,000 to the price tag.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
CVTs?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd

Sorry, CV Bearing Joint, typing from the cottage, brain added the T while typing with iOS keyboard. :blush:

The U-joints and bushings are the weak points.

An example of a popular CV version.

http://www.rcvperformance.com/category.aspx

There are others, not promoting anyone, these guys just pop to mind, and have a good exploded picture to see the parts.

Aaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Corvette Stingray
It's a way to get more money out of people than they want to spend. For example, if you are a tall person who prefers to save money and buy a sport, by not allowing telescoping steering as an option on the sport, FCA forces you to drop $7k+ more just for that highly desired option.

LordEgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Death wobble isn't a steering. Asked problem in my experience. Atleast not the column. It's cvs and or other connections.

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
Because there are folks who want the cheapest Wrangler they can buy, and making these features standard across all platforms means the entry MSRP goes up by $xxx which more people moan about. Heck people about LED fender lights.. for when you need to fix or replace them.

That you can buy a more bare bones Wrangler is a plus to many. Even the Sport-B vs Sport-S difference in minimal features shows pretty clearly in the number of folks around there driving around with 16" steelies and basic soft top with manual transmission, doors and locks. Start making everything available on every trim level, then you end up with cookie cutter 'entry level' of 17" Rims, Auto Transmission, Power Windows/Lock and EVIC, and AC, etc and an extra $2,000 to the price tag.
This...

It's a way to get more money out of people than they want to spend. For example, if you are a tall person who prefers to save money and buy a sport, by not allowing telescoping steering as an option on the sport, FCA forces you to drop $7k+ more just for that highly desired option.
If you have a 36" inseam -and you're 6'5"- and you've tried fitting in more than a few cars only to realize you don't fit in most -comfortably- you "get it". Otherwise, you can't appreciate "the struggle";)
Sponsored