First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
So I'm just putting the clamps from the charger directly on the clamps of the main battery? Doing this will not harm my electrical system? Thanks
See in your owner's manual:
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
JUMP STARTING

Just like any other vehicle, except it may take longer because of two discharged batteries. Also, for safety you may want to put the negative lead on a good ground away from the batteries on the vehicle with the discharged batteries.
Sponsored

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
After some additional work with the batteries, I realized there is a better way to isolate the batteries to check the individual voltages. Instead of removing the main battery positive terminal and risking shorting it out, the same thing can be accomplished by removing the aux battery ground cable from the main battery negative terminal. Doing it this way eliminates the risk of shorting anything out.

Here's the aux battery voltage - positive terminal to aux battery ground.
aux bat gnd.jpg

Here's the main battery voltage
main bat gnd.jpg
Can you then jump start the aux without removing pos cable?

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Can you then jump start the aux without removing pos cable?
Yes, and upon further review it's probably better to remove the main battery ground cable. My suggestion in another thread to remove the positive cable was due to thinking the ground cable setup was more complicated, but after checking I see all you have to do is remove one nut to detach both ground cables from IBS. Reconnecting while running still gets the warning of the possibility of sparks igniting discharged battery fumes.

battery main ground.jpg

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Yes, and upon further review it's probably better to remove the main battery ground cable. My suggestion in another thread to remove the positive cable was due to thinking the ground cable setup was more complicated, but after checking I see all you have to do is remove one nut to detach both ground cables from IBS. Reconnecting while running still gets the warning of the possibility of sparks igniting discharged battery fumes.

battery main ground.jpg
So after removing nut at green arrow....BOTH come off?

Sponsored

euells

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport JLU
Hopefully this is not too off topic but I have a couple of questions....
I want to hook up a power distribution block under the dash - this will provide power to a powered sub, a trailer hitch electrical connection, and some additional lighting. I bought an insulated block that allows a 4 Gauge input from the battery, and 4 8-10 gauge connections out. I have penetrated the firewall and have the block installed, but after seeing this diagram I am wondering if I should tap the N1 terminal so that the sub, hitch electrical connections and lights stay alive during an ESS event. Is this a valid approach or will everything stay up if I make the connection to the main battery terminal? I'm no EE so sorry for the questions in advance....

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully this is not too off topic but I have a couple of questions....
I want to hook up a power distribution block under the dash - this will provide power to a powered sub, a trailer hitch electrical connection, and some additional lighting. I bought an insulated block that allows a 4 Gauge input from the battery, and 4 8-10 gauge connections out. I have penetrated the firewall and have the block installed, but after seeing this diagram I am wondering if I should tap the N1 terminal so that the sub, hitch electrical connections and lights stay alive during an ESS event. Is this a valid approach or will everything stay up if I make the connection to the main battery terminal? I'm no EE so sorry for the questions in advance....
Both batteries are live during an ESS event, they are just disconnected from each other. It just depends on which battery you want to drain. I need to do the same thing for the same reasons and I will be connecting to the main battery.

euells

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport JLU
Both batteries are live during an ESS event, they are just disconnected from each other. It just depends on which battery you want to drain. I need to do the same thing for the same reasons and I will be connecting to the main battery.
Thanks Jebiruph! I'll make the connection tomorrow and post some pics.

Sponsored

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
I just had my Aux. Battery Replace 5 days ago. I was getting ESS won’t work battery charging error. After the aux. battery was replaced I’m still getting that warning 5 days later.

Any idea what might be the problem? Thanks!

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just had my Aux. Battery Replace 5 days ago. I was getting ESS won’t work battery charging error. After the aux. battery was replaced I’m still getting that warning 5 days later.

Any idea what might be the problem? Thanks!
I would let the dealer know you're still having problems.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
I would let the dealer know you're still having problems.
I did, I have an appointment for Monday. Was just hoping to have something to tell them when I go in.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did, I have an appointment for Monday. Was just hoping to have something to tell them when I go in.

Thanks!
My dealer really pushes back if I try to tell them anything. If you have a battery charger, I would get the batteries charged up and see if that helps. Using the Aux battery bypass jumper to temporarily remove the Aux battery from the system is also a good trouble shooting tool.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL