Sponsored

FYI found the cause of my death wobble

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
That's the thing, we know there is no difference between the models as far as all the steering linkages, but they would try to tell me otherwise.
That’s when you have to school the service department.

The Rubicon tie rod is longer than the other models due to the wider axles.
Sponsored

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Hey supermike. Did you get the new part installed? If so, did it fix your death wobble for good?

It happened to me in the highway for the first time this weekend. A 2.5 inch spacer lift is the only suspension mods that have been installed. Having a hard time believing that caused it. Going to check the pitman’s joint after reading your post today. Thanks

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
Hey supermike. Did you get the new part installed? If so, did it fix your death wobble for good?

It happened to me in the highway for the first time this weekend. A 2.5 inch spacer lift is the only suspension mods that have been installed. Having a hard time believing that caused it. Going to check the pitman’s joint after reading your post today. Thanks
Did you get an alignment check after the spacer install?

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
Would the energy suspension Rock Flex kit help since it replaces all the bushings with polyurethane? Not sure when it will be out but just a thought.

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
The JL uses crossover steering, so a lift doesn't affect the alignment other than caster (which is not adjustable so). It does affect steering wheel centering, which in turn could cause the electronic stability system to do weird things.

Sponsored

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
what about Steer Smart ?

I read & hear nothing but 5 star ratings with there parts

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
The JL uses crossover steering, so a lift doesn't affect the alignment other than caster (which is not adjustable so). It does affect steering wheel centering, which in turn could cause the electronic stability system to do weird things.
Right, but if, say for instance the toe was out a bit, the effects could be exacerbated once other dynamics are changed after a lift.

MarJeep

First Name
Marji
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler sport unlimited

MarJeep

First Name
Marji
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler sport unlimited
My death wobble occurred within the first few weeks of owning my 2018 JL. Long before I even knew what it was, and it terrified me! Then it took another month and 20 days with a loaner to find out very little. I know Chrysler was involved. And I filed with NHTSA. It's my first Wrangler, too. I knew nothing about all of this.

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Not yet. I will be doing that after going to 35s. I did have the Jeep loaded for a camping trip. Seeing that it’s never done it before I was wondering if the added weight contributed to the wobble. Maybe if the drag link was off then the added weight helped get it going. I don’t know

Sponsored

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU S24
Occupation
CIO
Purchased my JLUS in June 2018. Steering was tight, no issues. I have owned many straight front axle vehicles and did not expect it to handle like an independent suspension'd sports car, but it's steering was more than adequate. Until, Sept 2018 I started experiencing "the wobble", never felt in danger of loosing control of vehicle but it was a violent shake. Took to dealer and they replaced the steering stabilizer. Problem solved...until Jan 2019 "the wobble" returned. Dealer promptly replaced the steering stabilizer again. This is still a BONE STOCK vehicle, no lift, street tires. Since I have a little experience with straight axle vehicles, I know that the vehicle should steer just fine without a steering stabilizer, given all other parts are functioning properly. I think the steering stabilizer is just masking the actual problem. I will check my ball joints and links as the OP suggests. Just wanted the forum to know "the wobble" occurs on un-lifted, un-oversized tires, un-modified JL's as well.

RajCaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimited - Sahara Trim
.... Just wanted the forum to know "the wobble" occurs on un-lifted, un-oversized tires, un-modified JL's as well.
I got my JLU Wrangler in May 2018 and have had a similar experience. The Jeep is completely stock, with the stock tires that come on a Sahara.

I've not taken it off-road yet, and use it as a daily driver to bop around town, and for road trips. From city to highway driving, it handled really well until it didn't, and the front end went into a violent shake after hitting a patch of asphalt on the HWY @ about 75 mph. Since then, anything above 70 mph feels like a different vehicle than running below that speed.

My local dealer was surprised to hear that a new stock JL was having this issue. This post is just to second your experience, with wobbling being an issue for new, unmodified jeeps.

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
This is to third your experience.....I have a fully stock Sport S. Stock everything with only 2500 miles. Had the DW around 1000 miles and the dealer put a new stabilizer and it worked for about 2 months. Last weekend, hit a bridge joint and it shock violently. I have an appointment tomorrow - so frustrating. One more thing I have to deal with that I shouldn't have to deal with. Not thrilled about this.

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
This is to third your experience.....I have a fully stock Sport S. Stock everything with only 2500 miles. Had the DW around 1000 miles and the dealer put a new stabilizer and it worked for about 2 months. Last weekend, hit a bridge joint and it shock violently. I have an appointment tomorrow - so frustrating. One more thing I have to deal with that I shouldn't have to deal with. Not thrilled about this.
To everyone recently encountering these errors, please review the number of other examples of this. I'm not sure if it's this thread, or another similar however there's a recently updated Star Case that addresses this with the dealer doing a front end check, over center steering box check, and replace with updated track bar. Pitman arm end of the drag link has also shown issues, however isn't identified in the Star case from what I've seen:
Star case # S1819000004

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
To everyone recently encountering these errors, please review the number of other examples of this. I'm not sure if it's this thread, or another similar however there's a recently updated Star Case that addresses this with the dealer doing a front end check, over center steering box check, and replace with updated track bar. Pitman arm end of the drag link has also shown issues, however isn't identified in the Star case from what I've seen:
Star case # S1819000004
Here is a link to the star case. It addresses the steering stabilizer for the "shimmy"

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-end-jan-31-2019-star-case-s1819000004.25550/
Sponsored