OP

FlyByU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
My guess is over boosted some how with the boost controller setup.
Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
My guess is over boosted some how with the boost controller setup.
His post made no sense. He has a manual boost controller but its "shut off". He was going to add boost after testing the "new" tune if he liked what he saw, however it never made it that far. Sooo if he didn't add boost, and he was testing the "new" tune and it wasn't the tune, then was it a waste gate issue??? No boost solenoid?

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
His post made no sense. He has a manual boost controller but its "shut off". He was going to add boost after testing the "new" tune if he liked what he saw, however it never made it that far. Sooo if he didn't add boost, and he was testing the "new" tune and it wasn't the tune, then was it a waste gate issue??? No boost solenoid?
He's not telling the full story or has been misinformed by someone but IMO somebody made a boo boo.

OP
OP

FlyByU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
What it all boils down to, the Prodigy kit works well and what Jim did was work outside of the kit and likely pushed the motor well beyond its capabilities. Not an apples to apples, but Ive seen plenty of HEMI motors fail in conditions that were deemed "safe" so it does happen. I did ask Prodigy about the elephant in the room, "are you guys seeing failures with your kits at its set boost levels?" They confidently answered "no and in fact we do feel the boost limit is closer to 12 psi".

I wonder if Jim was logging when his motor popped, would love to see what was going on.

Reactions: aai

Outlaw

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1992 YJ Wrangler, 1995 F350 Powerstroke, 1994 Ford Bronco
I like the idea except for the heat. The alternator gets to hot to hold my hand on already.
For awhile everything I had was turbocharged including VW, F150, Branson Tractor but not the Jeep. Then I traded the VW in on a Tesla. No turbo, just faster.
Maybe someone will make a good kit to make those fake Rubicon hood louvers functional.
Dremel makes a kit.

Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
Can you post the link in here? Tried to search and couldn’t find it....
I'm pretty sure he's saying you have to cut out the lower part of the vents with a dremel tool to make them functional......

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Windowed the block from what prodigy told me.
Going back to my turbo racing days, a "windowed block" could be several things. But at the low boost levels discussed here, I'm thinking blown head gasket...water intrusion....hydraulic lock....broken rod thru the block. Ask me why I think that. LOL.

A head gasket can creep or just get pushed out hard from very large boost numbers or more likely, detonation.

Sponsored

jimlove9771

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Retird
All right guys, I WAS recording when disaster struck. I can’t say why but the boost spiked to 29 psi. No wonder the engine failed. I will send the data log to both Prodigy and my tuner. I suspect they will see the same results. The only thing that seems probible is that the controller failed.

Jnrscaping

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara
All right guys, I WAS recording when disaster struck. I can’t say why but the boost spiked to 29 psi. No wonder the engine failed. I will send the data log to both Prodigy and my tuner. I suspect they will see the same results. The only thing that seems probible is that the controller failed.
Keep us updated because we’re all curious. Not to throw anyone under the bus but for anyone looking to add boost these are the kind of things we need to know.

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
Keep us updated because we’re all curious. Not to throw anyone under the bus but for anyone looking to add boost these are the kind of things we need to know.
For anyone looking to add boost you should know that FI is great when everything is working together but can be very unforgiving when something is not right. If you are going to play with the boost, fuel, or timing it is critical to monitor things in real time to make sure whatever changes you made are doing what they are supposed to do. If not you can break things.

OP
OP

FlyByU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
The kit is plenty of power and should be kept in its delivered state in my opinion.

29 psi lol.

OP
OP

FlyByU

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Jim post a screen shot of that log if you dont mind.
Sponsored