Sponsored

More JLU spy shots to tide us over

MLPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Willys JK 6M
Jeep Wrangler JL More JLU spy shots to tide us over {filename}

It looks like the Freedom top front panels is a straight line across on this prototype? I think the earlier ones showed it was curved like the current ones on the JK. I'll see if I can find those pics.

kacper244

First Name
Kacper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2016 VW Jetta, 1993 Wrangler YJ (Sold)
How do you get so close and not get pictures of the interior? :angry:

MLPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Willys JK 6M

This is the best one I could find. Inconclusive I would say.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Yeah, as I said it's questionable due to the lighting, but it does look like there is something like black mesh on the inside, that is strapped to the inside of the fender.

You can see by the body colour bit that something is cutting that piece at the halfway mark, still looks more like black camo than solid fender, but could be either.

OP
OP
MockBarbecue82

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
Unless that fender has some camo on the inside, I don't see a cut out/vent
That's what I was thinking at first, but if you look at the renderings, the fender vent is up much higher. The pictures we have don't give us an angle to see where the wheel well vent would be, if there actually is one,

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
Unless that fender has some camo on the inside, I don't see a cut out/vent
Why would there be a vent inside the wheel well? If the front quarter panels do have vents, and they're functional, they'd likely be to expel air/heat from the engine bay, not air from the wheel wells.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Why would there be a vent inside the wheel well? If the front quarter panels do have vents, and they're functional, they'd likely be to expel air/heat from the engine bay, not air from the wheel wells.
Well, the front wheel wells are open in front, creating huge parachutes (bad aerodynamics). Relieving some of the built up pressure in there would theoretically aid MPG numbers.

Conversely, heat from the engine bay wants to go straight up, and is mainly an issue at slow speeds, so the fancy hood is the best solution for that.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
Well, the front wheel wells are open in front, creating huge parachutes (bad aerodynamics). Relieving some of the built up pressure in there would theoretically aid MPG numbers.

Conversely, heat from the engine bay wants to go straight up, and is mainly an issue at slow speeds, so the fancy hood is the best solution for that.
Ah, true. I'd forgotten about the wheel wells acting as sails thing. I guess I'd think you'd have to have a pretty good sized vent inlet in there to make an appreciable difference though, but maybe not.

For MPG they'd probably be better off simply using the export-spec bumper that wraps up to meet the flares, and make flared-up portions semi-easily removable (either unbolt or cut/trim off) for customers that don't like the look. Full with bumpers are becoming more and more popular for the JK, and many of them rise to meet the flares, so I don't think there'd be too many pitchforks and torches raised if they did make that change.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I'd think you'd have to have a pretty good sized vent inlet in there to make an appreciable difference though, but maybe not.
Agreed. Personally I like the AEV bumper that closes the gap, but still has good approach angle and ruggedness.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I'm just furthering a discussion that was started before I got here. If you look at all the renderings, including the ones on extremeterrain.com, you will see a cutout in the fender. So basically, it is the currently accepted theory. I'm not 100% sure myself. I guess we will find out soon enough however.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
For MPG they'd probably be better off simply using the export-spec bumper that wraps up to meet the flares, and make flared-up portions semi-easily removable (either unbolt or cut/trim off) for customers that don't like the look. Full with bumpers are becoming more and more popular for the JK, and many of them rise to meet the flares, so I don't think there'd be too many pitchforks and torches raised if they did make that change.

D@mn right. I couldn't believe the first "official-Ish" leaked pic, showed open space there. It made me so mad. Like why go to all this trouble to increase mpg, but don't make the front bumper a more rounded aerodynamic version of the euro spec JK bumper ?

Ignorant.
Sponsored