Sponsored

Loving my ROAM frame-mounted side steps/rock sliders

Claptovaughn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door 6-Speed
I ordered the Roam sliders for my 2-door Wednesday. Got an email from Anthony at Roam that they were available for purchase the day before.

Haven't received a tracking number yet. How long did it take you guys to receive yours?
Sponsored

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
I ordered the Roam sliders for my 2-door Wednesday. Got an email from Anthony at Roam that they were available for purchase the day before.

Haven't received a tracking number yet. How long did it take you guys to receive yours?
Well, I ordered mine (frame mount) when they were on backorder back on 11 Dec and got a tracking notice a couple of days ago but things might be better by this point.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
For the frame mounted rock rails there are 4 brackets used to attach the steps. Iā€™m adding a pic and hope it helps. I think this was passenger. Driver is the same.

Brett

4A7780BE-40A5-40D9-987C-8BDE38994151.jpeg
What size are those rivnuts?

Greenegg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
I love the look nd fit of my Roam steps, but they are collecting a ton of rust, the last thing I wanted to do is take them off and have them sprayed!!!

Needalife

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ, 2019 JLU Rubican
Got my tracking number for frame mounted steps. Hope to install next weekend.

Reactions: G13

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
And here is a picture of the damaged body seam from these frame mounted side steps.

received_319402578702678.jpeg
This is not entirely unique to the step or body roll. I experienced similar contact with stock Rubicon "sliders" If you hit something hard enough contact may occur.

LS7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 CJ5, ā€˜18 JLUR
Just a follow up. They still haven't made instructions for these and they have been out for at least 6 months. Ha

Second. I got rid of mine. The individual I sold the set to got some body damage after doing some rock crawling. Theory is that the body roll allowed the body to roll into the step itself, causing contact.

Glad I got rid of them before that happened to my rig.

One of the most unresponsive companies I have ever dealt with. These steps are a rip off of an original design be another company.

I'm a little salty, but frame mounted seems to be a bad idea for the JL, unless there is reasonable clearance between the slider and the body. Because the body is allowed to shift on the frame a bit, ie body roll.
Sound like you should add ā€œNo Longerā€ to the name of this post. Thanks for the update.

ROAM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.roamoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Just a follow up. They still haven't made instructions for these and they have been out for at least 6 months. Ha

Second. I got rid of mine. The individual I sold the set to got some body damage after doing some rock crawling. Theory is that the body roll allowed the body to roll into the step itself, causing contact.

Glad I got rid of them before that happened to my rig.

One of the most unresponsive companies I have ever dealt with. These steps are a rip off of an original design be another company.

I'm a little salty, but frame mounted seems to be a bad idea for the JL, unless there is reasonable clearance between the slider and the body. Because the body is allowed to shift on the frame a bit, ie body roll.

Hi simpleJL,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with our frame mounted side steps, and I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

Please understand that the set of side steps that you received were from a preproduction batch (in August/September 2018) because you specified that you did not want a set of body mounted steps. I believe that this was mentioned when sending them and that also that the version sent may be revised before mass production. The steps were also sent before any sort of pricing was finalized on the frame mounted version (ROAM JL Rock Rails).

Again, I'm sorry that you've had a bad experience with our stuff: please let me know how we can make this up to you.

Also not to contend vs what you've said, but in my opinion our side steps are an original design by us because:

1. Our JL Side Armor Steps were released in March of 2018. Here's a thread showing them off on March 16th 2018: <link redacted due to forum rules linking to other forums>

At the time, no other side steps really existed for the JL. Our frame mounted hardware prototype design (ROAM JL Rock Rails) was first shown on April 18th 2018: <link redacted due to forum rules linking to other forums>

In the thread referenced, our frame mounted side steps mounting the frame bracketry to the two bolt hole locations next to the main body bolt (without needing to remove or loosen the JL body mount bolts) can be clearly seen in the pictures. Our designs and engineering is unique to us and if anything our stuff was copied by others. I can not find any other design for the JL that precedes ours that looks even remotely similar.

What sets our design, build process, and quality apart isn't just how strong our JL Side Armor Steps are, but rather how they're designed and built. They're not just straight square tubes, but profiled and precision laser cut on the interior edge to evenly and consistently follow the curvature of the vehicle. When we first released our body mounted side steps, this was an industry first.

Our Side Armor Steps also have full width egress step plates and LEDs where the recesses are and at the time no one else had that. Our Side Armor Steps also do not angle the edge of the top surface at a slant (where the step plates are) or expand the opening outwards. During our own testing, we've found that if the top edge was slanted it adds to a false sense of where someone could step without slipping or rolling their ankle. We've also built our step plate at full width (the width of the doors) so that you wouldn't be limited to where you can step. Also, on our Side Armor Steps, the indent edges are concave and the B pillar indent is there for structural reasons and not for aesthetics.

2. Our side steps were first launched as a body mounted solution for this exact reason and we still recommend them over our frame mounted version because of the frame movement vs the JL vehicle body. We recommend an increased gap (via the adjustable mounting holes on the brackets) vs our body mounted side steps to the JL body on these. To clarify, please maintain an 1/4" gap on these vs the JL body as opposed to the body mounted version which only requires a 1/16" gap. If you are experiencing increased body movement on your JL, our frame mounted side steps (ROAM JL Rock Rails) can be installed with up to a 1/2" gap vs the body. Although they can be adjusted to have move gap vs the JL body sheetmetal, a 1/2" gap should be enough to cover all known torsional and transversive movement. We specify the minimum clearance of our frame mounted version vs the JL body at 1/8".

To clarify, the advantage of our frame mounted side steps (ROAM JL Rock Rails) vs our JL body mounted side steps (ROAM JL Side Armor Steps) is that the frame mounted version uses four frame mounted brackets of which the JL frame uses a much thicker gauge metal than the JL body sheetmetal; however our JL body mounted side steps do have the advantage of not needing anywhere near as much clearance as the frame mounted side steps and they are also designed to carry the weight of the vehicle as well with a significant safety margin.

3. I also need to apologize to everyone for not responding for a while, I was on maternity leave for the last two months or so and then I think the other girl that was tasked to the forums took personal leave. If you have any concerns, definitely email us instead.

Thanks,

Tara @ ROAM

-

jmkling

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rvgreenboard.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR with Sky Top
Occupation
Retired Navy Commander
Hi simpleJL,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with our frame mounted side steps, and I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

Please understand that the set of side steps that you received were from a preproduction batch (in August/September 2018) because you specified that you did not want a set of body mounted steps. I believe that this was mentioned when sending them and that also that the version sent may be revised before mass production. The steps were also sent before any sort of pricing was finalized on the frame mounted version (ROAM JL Rock Rails).

Again, I'm sorry that you've had a bad experience with our stuff: please let me know how we can make this up to you.

Also not to contend vs what you've said, but in my opinion our side steps are an original design by us because:

1. Our JL Side Armor Steps were released in March of 2018. Here's a thread showing them off on March 16th 2018: <link redacted due to forum rules linking to other forums>

At the time, no other side steps really existed for the JL. Our frame mounted hardware prototype design (ROAM JL Rock Rails) was first shown on April 18th 2018: <link redacted due to forum rules linking to other forums>

In the thread referenced, our frame mounted side steps mounting the frame bracketry to the two bolt hole locations next to the main body bolt (without needing to remove or loosen the JL body mount bolts) can be clearly seen in the pictures. Our designs and engineering is unique to us and if anything our stuff was copied by others. I can not find any other design for the JL that precedes ours that looks even remotely similar.

What sets our design, build process, and quality apart isn't just how strong our JL Side Armor Steps are, but rather how they're designed and built. They're not just straight square tubes, but profiled and precision laser cut on the interior edge to evenly and consistently follow the curvature of the vehicle. When we first released our body mounted side steps, this was an industry first.

Our Side Armor Steps also have full width egress step plates and LEDs where the recesses are and at the time no one else had that. Our Side Armor Steps also do not angle the edge of the top surface at a slant (where the step plates are) or expand the opening outwards. During our own testing, we've found that if the top edge was slanted it adds to a false sense of where someone could step without slipping or rolling their ankle. We've also built our step plate at full width (the width of the doors) so that you wouldn't be limited to where you can step. Also, on our Side Armor Steps, the indent edges are concave and the B pillar indent is there for structural reasons and not for aesthetics.

2. Our side steps were first launched as a body mounted solution for this exact reason and we still recommend them over our frame mounted version because of the frame movement vs the JL vehicle body. We recommend an increased gap (via the adjustable mounting holes on the brackets) vs our body mounted side steps to the JL body on these. To clarify, please maintain an 1/4" gap on these vs the JL body as opposed to the body mounted version which only requires a 1/16" gap. If you are experiencing increased body movement on your JL, our frame mounted side steps (ROAM JL Rock Rails) can be installed with up to a 1/2" gap vs the body. Although they can be adjusted to have move gap vs the JL body sheetmetal, a 1/2" gap should be enough to cover all known torsional and transversive movement. We specify the minimum clearance of our frame mounted version vs the JL body at 1/8".

To clarify, the advantage of our frame mounted side steps (ROAM JL Rock Rails) vs our JL body mounted side steps (ROAM JL Side Armor Steps) is that the frame mounted version uses four frame mounted brackets of which the JL frame uses a much thicker gauge metal than the JL body sheetmetal; however our JL body mounted side steps do have the advantage of not needing anywhere near as much clearance as the frame mounted side steps and they are also designed to carry the weight of the vehicle as well with a significant safety margin.

3. I also need to apologize to everyone for not responding for a while, I was on maternity leave for the last two months or so and then I think the other girl that was tasked to the forums took personal leave. If you have any concerns, definitely email us instead.

Thanks,

Tara @ ROAM

-
Thanks for the update

Sponsored

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
Well now I'm re-thinking the frame vs body mount. My frame mounted ones will be here Tuesday and I thought they were the superior of the two versions.

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
Well now I'm re-thinking the frame vs body mount. My frame mounted ones will be here Tuesday and I thought they were the superior of the two versions.
According to Tara's lengthy post, in some ways they are better.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
They are. I donā€™t think youā€™re loosing out on anything by going to the frame, if anything youā€™re gaining strength and adjustability

Brett

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Just read through this thread, quite the read btw. Im on the fense between the LOD sig series or the frame mounted roam sliders/steps. My concern is I have been out before in my JK and have rubbed/hit my rock sliders before. I dont do any serious rock climbing but do the occasional off roading and do tackle a few rocks now and again.

Reading through the last little bit and then Taraā€™s response, if i understand it, these will protect the rocker panels from ā€œhits/rocksā€ and as long as you give enough of a gap for movement, should work just fine. Am I understanding that correctly? So these can be used to protect the rocker panel from rocks? I do love the step function but that really is secondary for me as i do want to protect my panels.

Needalife

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ, 2019 JLU Rubican
I prefer the frame mounted ones. With the body roll that is talked about, when you mount rigid steel to the body it reduces the body roll or body flex (in certain directions) and can lead to damage in another area. Frame mount with proper gap will prevent the damage shown above. Hell get the rocker skins that companys have out and prevent even more damage.

Just my opinion and experience.
Sponsored