Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Railroader
Vehicle Showcase
Aside from the front ring, is there any way to identify the sport from the pro versions?

Back story:
Tuesday I ordered the Squadron Pros off Amazon. Found a heck of a deal & ordering the cowl mounts from BD & the squadron lights separately ended up saving me quite a bit of money. Just before I pulled the trigger I found a better price, also thru Amazon on a pair of “used/like new” lights. I expected like-new to mean a return item so they may or may not have been mounted, possibly some minor scratches.

Well what arrived we’re some sun bleached looking cubes with rub marks & hard water stains (around the threads where water would sit). The Amber (not clear) lens & lens rings look brand new & “Sport” not Pro. The wire coming off the cube looks like it’d been in the sun as well, and is really apparent when you look at the new parts bag.

This shipped from Amazon. Could it have been some knucklehead with a parts bag “replacing” damaged looking pieces so they can re-list as “like new” and just put the wrong part on? One thing is pretty obvious, some $h!thead returned their used lights in place of a brand new set. Just wondering if these are actual Pros or not. Either way they’re going back to Amazon. I can order a new set & have them Sunday.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DezertTitan

DezertTitan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Railroader
Vehicle Showcase
Have had some time to cool down... still pissed tho. Submitted the return request with Amazon on these lights & ordered a new set. Whatever application these were hooked up for before they were Returned, the mouth breather cut the damn cable awfully short. There's barely 6" to work with. Makes me wonder if there's enough to cleanly tuck & hide a splice. I reviewed a couple unboxing videos trying to find a way to tell the two apart. Besides having a full pigtail, with a connector still present, I'm seein housings that are still semi glossy. These ones I received have the same dull, weathered look as the Rigids on my work truck which are a few years old.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Have had some time to cool down... still pissed tho. Submitted the return request with Amazon on these lights & ordered a new set. Whatever application these were hooked up for before they were Returned, the mouth breather cut the damn cable awfully short. There's barely 6" to work with. Makes me wonder if there's enough to cleanly tuck & hide a splice. I reviewed a couple unboxing videos trying to find a way to tell the two apart. Besides having a full pigtail, with a connector still present, I'm seein housings that are still semi glossy. These ones I received have the same dull, weathered look as the Rigids on my work truck which are a few years old.
ya that sucks, amazon returns are amazingly smooth atleast.

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Aside from the front ring, is there any way to identify the sport from the pro versions?

Back story:
Tuesday I ordered the Squadron Pros off Amazon. Found a heck of a deal & ordering the cowl mounts from BD & the squadron lights separately ended up saving me quite a bit of money. Just before I pulled the trigger I found a better price, also thru Amazon on a pair of “used/like new” lights. I expected like-new to mean a return item so they may or may not have been mounted, possibly some minor scratches.

Well what arrived we’re some sun bleached looking cubes with rub marks & hard water stains (around the threads where water would sit). The Amber (not clear) lens & lens rings look brand new & “Sport” not Pro. The wire coming off the cube looks like it’d been in the sun as well, and is really apparent when you look at the new parts bag.

This shipped from Amazon. Could it have been some knucklehead with a parts bag “replacing” damaged looking pieces so they can re-list as “like new” and just put the wrong part on? One thing is pretty obvious, some $h!thead returned their used lights in place of a brand new set. Just wondering if these are actual Pros or not. Either way they’re going back to Amazon. I can order a new set & have them Sunday.
There are a few other methods for determining what model the light is. We can look at the LEDs and tell you if it's a Pro or Sport. It sounds like you received Sports and already started the return process. Let us know if you have any questions once you receive the Pros. Sorry about the inconvenience. Hopefully, Amazon gets it resolved ASAP

Sponsored

OP
OP
DezertTitan

DezertTitan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Railroader
Vehicle Showcase
There are a few other methods for determining what model the light is. We can look at the LEDs and tell you if it's a Pro or Sport. It sounds like you received Sports and already started the return process. Let us know if you have any questions once you receive the Pros. Sorry about the inconvenience. Hopefully, Amazon gets it resolved ASAP
Thanks for the response. I did get the return started with Amazon, but I didn't want to mail it off until I could compare the two. I'll be mailing the first set off tomorrow. Bit frustrated over getting screwed on a good deal but I can't blame you guys for that. The new set, however, looks great! I'm still waiting on the mounting brackets. Ordered them last Tuesday.

Anyhow, here are some side-by-sides of the two.

New vs Used.jpg

New vs Used 2.jpg

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Thanks for the response. I did get the return started with Amazon, but I didn't want to mail it off until I could compare the two. I'll be mailing the first set off tomorrow. Bit frustrated over getting screwed on a good deal but I can't blame you guys for that. The new set, however, looks great! I'm still waiting on the mounting brackets. Ordered them last Tuesday.

Anyhow, here are some side-by-sides of the two.

New vs Used.jpg

New vs Used 2.jpg
Definitely Pros vs. Sports. I can't believe someone cut the cord on the Sports. Definitely seems like a return that Amazon didn't inspect before re-shipping out.

OP
OP
DezertTitan

DezertTitan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Railroader
Vehicle Showcase
Such is my luck LOL. So I called BD's customer service to find out whats goin on with the mounts I ordered. Only thing I've received since I ordered them was an Email confirming my purchase. Turns out they're out of stock & sounds like if i'm lucky, mid next week to April before I'll receive them. Unfortunately there was nothing on the website stating as much. I found them on another website that says they're in stock. and placed an order. Once I get confirmation they're shipped I'll cancel the first order.

thundermuffin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Soft top
Sport on the left, Pro on the right main visual difference is the black thing in the center of the sport circuit board.
F74D7000-FF1E-4674-801F-5AF0CBD02964.jpeg

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I ordered mine direct from baja for reasons like this. I got the XL PROS and wow at 9800 lumens are bright and really good looking lights. They are just right with the spot on the pillars. its like i can see a long way out. Whats really nice and better then Rigid is tgis lights can be changed to a different pattern or change form clear to amber or the other way with just 4 screws it so so easy. and for some reason a lens gets broke or chipped Baja will send you a new lens cover for free. life time warranty on these cool lights. I also had the big brackets that have to hold them and all the hard ware powder coated black. Its looks a lot better with them all black. Even Paul their tech support guy said he was going to talk to Baja about doing this since it does look better all black he said

20190314_130030.jpg

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I know this is a baja thread, but I gotta say...The light output of baja lights when compared to rigid is definitely superior given an equal footprint, and I myself will most likely go with the LP6s when I get my rig, however, I don't know what Rigid uses to coat their lights, because it's probably the best coating used in the industry. My dually D2s on my JKUR are now 7 years old and they are as black as they were when I got them, and looking at the photo the OP posted, it looks like the baja's have already faded, and they are probably nowhere near 7 years old.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I know this is a baja thread, but I gotta say...The light output of baja lights when compared to rigid is definitely superior given an equal footprint, and I myself will most likely go with the LP6s when I get my rig, however, I don't know what Rigid uses to coat their lights, because it's probably the best coating used in the industry. My dually D2s on my JKUR are now 7 years old and they are as black as they were when I got them, and looking at the photo the OP posted, it looks like the baja's have already faded, and they are probably nowhere near 7 years old.
Yes those LP 6s are bad ass lights. I want to go with the LP6 on the bumper next

OP
OP
DezertTitan

DezertTitan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Railroader
Vehicle Showcase
Sport on the left, Pro on the right main visual difference is the black thing in the center of the sport circuit board.
I peeked behind the lens, but I forget if there was one or not. I believe there was. I’ve got the pros mounted now.

I ordered mine direct from baja for reasons like this. I got the XL PROS and wow at 9800 lumens are bright and really good looking lights. They are just right with the spot on the pillars. its like i can see a long way out. Whats really nice and better then Rigid is tgis lights can be changed to a different pattern or change form clear to amber or the other way with just 4 screws it so so easy. and for some reason a lens gets broke or chipped Baja will send you a new lens cover for free. life time warranty on these cool lights. I also had the big brackets that have to hold them and all the hard ware powder coated black. Its looks a lot better with them all black. Even Paul their tech support guy said he was going to talk to Baja about doing this since it does look better all black he said
Those look great! I’m a bit torn on the cubes. I wanted these for more visibility to side roads/trails. However, they do light up the hood some - not a fan of that. Not sure if I want to just grab spot lens’ or wait. I’d like to get the LP6’s for the bumper later, so I would angle these further out then.. or a 10” light bar... so many great options! :)

I’ve got Rigids on my work truck. They’re great - and yeah, about as faded as those “like new” lights. They’ve got a good 5-ish years. I originally planned to get Rigids, but decided to go this route. No complaints! These lights are great. Used them on a road trip this week, on long stretches of Utah/Arizona highways. Of course nobody else was on the road ahead of me. Spotted some deer in the ditch, they ran the opposite direction but I was slowing down just incase...

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I guess my main point was, if Baja improved their coatings, they would be just about perfect.

OP
OP
DezertTitan

DezertTitan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Railroader
Vehicle Showcase
I guess my main point was, if Baja improved their coatings, they would be just about perfect.
I gotcha. I dont know if the coating is good/bad tho. In this situation, I think somebody got away with scamming Amazon by returning Sports in a pro box. I also have a sneaking suspicion they were stolen because the wiring harness was cut so short. Pretty much about the length of harness exposed on the lights mounted on my Jeep now.
Sponsored