Sponsored

Help: How much gas does your tank let you fill?

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Brand new JLUR.

Same issue. Will be going to dealer this week.
Light came on. 20+ miles later I stop to fill.
16.5 gallons. Now I get in and it shows full.
How is that 21.5 gallons.
I plan to Roadtrip quite a bit. Major concern for me.
Sponsored

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So I had my Jeep in this week and asked them to look at the tank. I explained I couldn’t put more than 17 gallons in once I hit empty. At first they said this was normal. As I questioned it more he said he would run it up the chain and see if they had a solution. I was guessing it was the tank or evap system. He called me back yesterday and said Jeep approved a new fuel pump..... don’t know how this will fix anything but I guess I’ll let them try.
Did this solve the issue?

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
Did this solve the issue?
No. My case is still open and I haven’t heard from my dealer for 2 weeks. I’m following up tomorrow. I’ll let you know what they say.

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer wants me to come back on empty. They will go watch me fill the tank. Then they will put it on the lift and check part numbers. 3 weeks out.

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My advice is try to go there ASAP after you register low miles on your range. DO NOT SHUT OFF THE ENGINE WHEN YOU GET THERE. I turned mine off and got the guy. When I started it back up it read 19 miles.

At least my dealer filled my tank right there at his pump. I offered to pay but he was cool. I called him again yesterday but he still hasn’t heard anything.

Sponsored

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
So......

Is it safe to summarize that, if operating properly, the fuel gauge measures:

full when approximately 21.5 gallons are in the tank, and
empty when approximately 3.5 gallons are in the tank.

Is it accurate to also say that the round fuel low indicator light comes on when there are 5.5 gallons left, and
the Jeep will likely die when there is 0.5-1 gallons in the tank (because presumably that fluid cannot be pumped).

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nobody knows yet. This is different for different jeeps. I’m assuming is still have 4.5 gallons in the tank when my range goes to 0. Do I really want to drive it 75 more miles to find out....

For those who have this issue, when was your Jeep made? Mine was July.

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
So......

Is it safe to summarize that, if operating properly, the fuel gauge measures:

full when approximately 21.5 gallons are in the tank, and
empty when approximately 3.5 gallons are in the tank.

Is it accurate to also say that the round fuel low indicator light comes on when there are 5.5 gallons left, and
the Jeep will likely die when there is 0.5-1 gallons in the tank (because presumably that fluid cannot be pumped).
Youre pretty close. I summarized throughout my original posts when I started the thread:

- fuel low light comes on for me with about 38-40 miles left on the range
- once the range goes to 9 miles or less (the reading says LOW MI) at this point you have 2 USABLE GALLONS
- I ran it dry and ran out of gas at that point
- filling up on a fully empty tank after running out of gas the most I can get it to take is 20.5 galllons
- escalated all the way Up to FCA engineers and they state this is “normal” and the last gallon is in the fuel lines (whatever that means)
- so really it sounds to me like the tank is closer to a 20.5 gallon tank
- in my JK I was frequently able to fill over 21 gallons

Nobody knows yet. This is different for different jeeps. I’m assuming is still have 4.5 gallons in the tank when my range goes to 0. Do I really want to drive it 75 more miles to find out....

For those who have this issue, when was your Jeep made? Mine was July.
Mine was May 2018. As I mentioned above, when your range goes to below 10 and reads LOW MI and no longer shows a countdown you have 2 gallons left. I confirmed this by running it fully dry to where the engine shut off.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Stupid thread. Why wait until you are that low on gas? When the light comes on or before then put gas in. Drive until low and put gas in. No purpose in seeing if you can get the last drop of gas out of the tank.

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Stupid thread. Why wait until you are that low on gas? When the light comes on or before then put gas in. Drive until low and put gas in. No purpose in seeing if you can get the last drop of gas out of the tank.
Stupid comment. If you have nothing useful move on to the next thread.

If you took a second to read it has nothing to do with running every drop of gas. If you gas up when it’s “low” like you say but can’t fill the tank each time to full then you’re getting less range out of each tank than you could be.

Obviously enough people care that this thread has a handful of people with the same concern. If it’s not a concern for you then great, no one asked your opinion.

Sponsored

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine was May 2018. As I mentioned above, when your range goes to below 10 and reads LOW MI and no longer shows a countdown you have 2 gallons left. I confirmed this by running it fully dry to where the engine shut off.
Our issues are different. When mine goes to low range and I fill up my tank I can only pump 16.5-17 gallons in my tank. I clearly don’t have 2 gallons at that time.

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Our issues are different. When mine goes to low range and I fill up my tank I can only pump 16.5-17 gallons in my tank. I clearly don’t have 2 gallons at that time.
I wonder if maybe you do have 2 gallons left but the tank isn’t filling up as much as it should be?

I’m only able to put in more now after having the tank and evap canister replaced. Might be an issue with your evap system

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really stupid comment. Nobody is trying to get the last drop of gas out of their tank. I simply don’t want to consistently stop 75 miles earlier for gas than I need to.

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Possibly. My dealer tries to slowly force more gas in and it began pouring out. Did your tank show full when it began clicking off?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Stupid comment. If you have nothing useful move on to the next thread. +1
Sponsored