Sponsored

Dual Top Owners - When do you switch to Soft Top?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
What is the downside of running a soft top year round? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm about to order my first Wrangler.
None. I live in Ohio and have a soft top only. Just personal preference.
Sponsored

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2ā€ Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
I was just explaining to my wife why I need to order a garage hoist. Gotta be ready for the swap...:fingerscrossed:
No need for a hoist. Four ratchet straps a couple 2 x 4s and lag bolts and your set. Been using that set up for years on my JKUR and now my JLUR. Less than $40 in material and bullit proof. Iā€™ve even been able to store my hard top with an 80 lb roof rack mounted no problem.

Last edited:

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2ā€ Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
What is the downside of running a soft top year round? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm about to order my first Wrangler.
Sound bar rattles a lot less with the hard top mounted and honestly the hard top looks cooler to me but thatā€™s a matter of preference and once you flip the top down in warm weather the conversation is over

880F0B99-6C13-4054-93E3-562F4E9C97E7.jpeg

7E3B09E0-D3D2-4101-9496-AEADA2F73776.jpeg

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
:like:
To add to my last...having run both for years I always switch to my hard top in cold winter months. Generally the Jeep is more liveable with the hard top. Warmer or cooler inside depending on the season, can actually use your Bluetooth phone connection at highway speeds, and Lastly the sound system is better. Of course in warm weather months itā€™s easier to flip the top back or go fully topless. Many in the hardtop camp would argue the freedom tops work just fine or roll the Bestop sunrider aftermarket soft top filler panel. However there is nothing quite like rolling around with the full top retracted. I ran my JKUR with only a hard top for a year and a half but would pull the top off completely for long periods of dry weather. However your kind of anchored near your house for fear of getting caught in a storm (e.g. you couldnt roll 200 miles to the beach with no top at all). Anyway...there is no bad decision. Just preference. I like my cake and eat it to.

Reactions: eck

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I went dual tops really just to have defroster and wiper on the back window in the winter. I really like the hard top with Mopar headliners, not much of a difference in sound and ability to control temperature than most other vehicles I've owned.

I have yet to use the soft top (just bought my JLU in November) but looking forward to using it for convertibility in warmer weather :rock:

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Sound bar rattles a lot less with the hard top mounted and honestly the hard top looks cooler to me but thatā€™s a matter of preference and once you flip the top down in warm weather the conversation is over

880F0B99-6C13-4054-93E3-562F4E9C97E7.jpeg

7E3B09E0-D3D2-4101-9496-AEADA2F73776.jpeg
I agree, hard top looks better but the soft top is so much more fun.

20190310_160756.jpg
20190309_095430.jpg

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I agree, hard top looks better but the soft top is so much more fun.

20190310_160756.jpg
20190309_095430.jpg
War Eagle! Sorry, couldn't resist ;) Not a "fan" of either personally, but would probably lean Crimson Tide I guess. Go Hawkeyes! :rock:

BTW - like the flags on your side vents :like:

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
War Eagle! Sorry, couldn't resist ;) Not a "fan" of either personally, but would probably lean Crimson Tide I guess. Go Hawkeyes! :rock:

BTW - like the flags on your side vents :like:
LOL no worries, I learned to ignore that dumb a$$ battle cry years ago! I'm still sad about that Natty title game though :(

Roy_Hobbs

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue Sky One-Touch
In my test drives of both hard and soft top the sound bar didn't rattle at all. Maybe something is wrong with your sound bar?

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I got dual tops because i love the look of the matching hard top for the cold months. Not sure if its any quieter or not but i have a DB meter so I will test it both.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Beautiful, albeit still chilly, day in New England. Made me start thinking about the soft top. What time of year do you all switch from Hard to Soft Top?
Hey neighbor, S NH here.

On my JK I would wait anywhere between April and May because the warmer sun would help with stretching the top.

This past weekend on our JL we just put a bestop freedom top on. I've seen no issue with the cold air trying to keep the jeep warm.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Beautiful, albeit still chilly, day in New England. Made me start thinking about the soft top. What time of year do you all switch from Hard to Soft Top?
I had both tops for my '13 JK. I went from soft to hard in mid-October. Back to soft in mid April.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I got dual tops because i love the look of the matching hard top for the cold months. Not sure if its any quieter or not but i have a DB meter so I will test it both.
Curious to what you find when you test. Please post. I have dual tops because I couldnā€™t imagine a soft top in winter. Thatā€™s before I knew what an oven the Jeep is. (First Jeep)
I havenā€™t switched the tops yet so donā€™t know about noise. Hard top is pretty quiet especially with the hotheads in it.

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In my test drives of both hard and soft top the sound bar didn't rattle at all. Maybe something is wrong with your sound bar?
Well full disclosure I have the Alpine system with the base turned all the way up blasting Lil Wayne so in that scenario the sound bar rattles pretty badly with the soft top on:rock: For some reason not when the hard top is on. There are multiple threads here with others complaining about the sound bar rattling so I donā€™t think itā€™s just me. Iā€™m in the process of trouble shooting the situation and may pull the sound bar apart to fill it with acoustical material.
Sponsored