Sponsored

Soft top question. What do you do with your rear window when you put your soft top down?

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
With the JK it was very common to remove the rear window form the rear window bow and then roll the window in a soft towel with a cut down pool noodle in the center to keep the roll round. Window bow went back into its spot on the Jeep. I don’t have my JL yet but I don’t know why that wouldn’t work.
I had a towel and piece of pool noodle in a sleeping bag pouch so I could get it contained in the back. The side windows used to fit in there too but now with the molded corners I doubt it would.
The roll-up method probably will not work with the JL top having a more rigid c-channel guide, no zippers. Get a Mopar soft top window storage bag.
Sponsored

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I love the slipstream though. It is definitely on my list of purchases.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Don’t overthink it, just get the Mopar bag and call it day. If you’re worried about it creasing, don’t stand it upright. Or leave it at home.
1st off the Mopar bag is nearly 3 times the cost and not any better quality. The Mopar bag is designed to stand up and bend at the ends, it also when standing is above the back seats so always in sight. It is a huge bag sized for the back window. The $50 bag will also stand however again there is a big problem with standing the bags in warm weather and the windows falling down in the bag and possibly creasing them. That is not only a expensive bag but also an expensive less if you damage your windows...

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
Other users have reported putting a nylon tie down strap (or similar) around the Mopar bag to keep the windows from sagging.

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
A solution for the mopar bag could be to cut 2 - 4 large pieces of cardboard to use as ridgid inserts to prevent sagging. I dont have the bag so not sure how the sides that roll around would be affected for the back window.

I would use my enormous soft top box for the cardboard cutouts. Could even use pieces of felt and some hot glue to the cardboard for added protection. I like the amazon bag and the price, only downside is it just leaves no room for storage since it lays down flat. Not a deal breaker but just something to think about.

Also with a 15% coupon you can print out on the jeep website the mopar bag would be around $100 from my dealer. Still more than the amazon bag but not 3Xs the price as mentioned.

Last edited:

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
A solution for the mopar bag could be to cut 2 - 4 large pieces of cardboard to use as ridgid inserts to prevent sagging. I dont have the bag so not sure how the sides that roll around would be affected for the back window. I would use my enormous soft top box for the cardboard cutouts. Could even use pieces of felt and some hot glue to the cardboard for added protection. I like the amazon bag and the price, only downside is it just leaves no room for storage since it lays down flat.

The Amazon Bag can also stand but would have the same issue at the Mopar Bag. Keep in mind the Mopar bag issue is not the rigidity of the bag, regardless how rigid the bag is when the panels get hot the plastic becomes soft. So you could have the cardboard but the plastic is still going to slump in the storage slot/sleeve. It would require the bag be rigid as well a way to attach the panels to the top so they hang, but that is not how it works.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
The Amazon Bag can also stand but would have the same issue at the Mopar Bag. Keep in mind the Mopar bag issue is not the rigidity of the bag, regardless how rigid the bag is when the panels get hot the plastic becomes soft. So you could have the cardboard but the plastic is still going to slump in the storage slot/sleeve. It would require the bag be rigid as well a way to attach the panels to the top so they hang, but that is not how it works.
Yeah i was thinking about that also, the sagging. Are there straps on the amazon bag to hook it up to the seats? Amazon sells 6' hook and loop velcro straps, could tie the windows together with the cardboard i guess, then it should stay put.

May be easier to just lay the damn thing down....lol.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Yeah i was thinking about that also, the sagging. Are there straps on the amazon bag to hook it up to the seats? Amazon sells 6' hook and loop velcro straps, could tie the windows together with the cardboard i guess, then it should stay put.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

This is more of an issue for the 2 door guys as their bed is smaller so standing is their only option. While the Amazon bag could also loop the handles over the head rest the Mopar bag is a better solution for the 2 doors.

There is a handle that would fit over the headrest

Windows%206_zpsuxsy8ej8.jpg

It is a perfect fit laying into the cargo bed of the JLU

Sponsored

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I wonder if the bag was left unzipped and the windows were clipped to the top of the bag on both sides with something like binder clips to hold them up so they don't fall and crease.
shopping.jpeg

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I wonder if the bag was left unzipped and the windows were clipped to the top of the bag on both sides with something like binder clips to hold them up so they don't fall and crease.
shopping.jpeg
That plastic is very vulnerable when it gets hot, I would be concerned with leaving any permanent marks.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
No, I meant that maybe the fabric could be clipped. I wouldn't want to clip the plastic windows themselves because I think they would be permanently misshapen after that.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

This is more of an issue for the 2 door guys as their bed is smaller so standing is their only option. While the Amazon bag could also loop the handles over the head rest the Mopar bag is a better solution for the 2 doors.
The roll-up method probably will not work with the JL top having a more rigid c-channel guide, no zippers. Get a Mopar soft top window storage bag.

The back window once removed from frame is very flexible, sides not at all

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Used the MOPAR bag for months and never got this “sag” that you’re all talking about. Mine’s a 2dr, if that’s a factor.

Keep in mind that a short time in the hot sun, after reinstalling windows, is going to sort out any sag/bend.
Sponsored