Water dripping from exhaust pipe?

AEB64

First Name
AB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited
Just picked up my 2019 Sahara with retractable top yesterday.....love it......but I’ve noticed that water is dripping from the exhaust pipe. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or knows if this is a concern?
Sponsored

suzookus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Does it stop a short while after startup? Prob no problem.

If it’s persistent while running check cylinder head gaskets on engine.

Also make sure the fluid is water and not something else like antifreeze.

OP
OP

AEB64

First Name
AB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited
Does it stop a short while after startup? Prob no problem.

If it’s persistent while running check cylinder head gaskets on engine.

Also make sure the fluid is water and not something else like antifreeze.
It only has 82 miles and I just started to notice. I started it in the garage and saw it dripping from inside the pipe. Doesn’t appear to be coming from anywhere else. It does seem to stop once I drive a few miles.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Probably just accumulated condensation in high humidity. It should stop after it all evaporates by running the engine and heating up the exhaust system. If you have a stream flowing, you got a problem!

OP
OP

AEB64

First Name
AB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited
I’m in CT where it is cold. Does it make sense that it drips until the engine warms up?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I’m in CT where it is cold. Does it make sense that it drips until the engine warms up?
Normal. You will see it stops when the vehicle warms up. You will see it again in the morning. NO, you will not usually see in the Summer months.

You just picked up the vehicle so it has been sitting at the dealer and this will also factor in..

I'm in NY right now and my JL does this every morning.

OP
OP

AEB64

First Name
AB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited
Normal. You will see it stops when the vehicle warms up. You will see it again in the morning. NO, you will not usually see in the Summer months.

You just picked up the vehicle so it has been sitting at the dealer and this will also factor in..

I'm in NY right now and my JL does this every morning.
Thank you...makes me feel much better! It was also a build, which i’m assuming may also come into play.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't matter how long a vehicle sits. What matters is physics. See that cloud coming from every car thats running when its cold............steam caused by hot air being spewed into cold air. it condensates on the inside of the cold exhaust pipe and turns into water droplets. Once the exhaust is hot it condensates after leaving the exhaust. You still get a cloud of steam from the exhaust especially when its very cold but the dripping stops once the exhaust pipes are hot.
This is also why they tell you short trips in cold weather shorten your exhaust system life, because the pipes don't get hot enough to dry out all the condensation and your exhaust rusts sooner than those that drive longer periods before shutting off the car.

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Doesn't matter how long a vehicle sits. What matters is physics. See that cloud coming from every car thats running when its cold............steam caused by hot air being spewed into cold air. it condensates on the inside of the cold exhaust pipe and turns into water droplets. Once the exhaust is hot it condensates after leaving the exhaust. You still get a cloud of steam from the exhaust especially when its very cold but the dripping stops once the exhaust pipes are hot.
This is also why they tell you short trips in cold weather shorten your exhaust system life, because the pipes don't get hot enough to dry out all the condensation and your exhaust rusts sooner than those that drive longer periods before shutting off the car.
It's actually chemistry, but right on. :like:
More specifically, water and carbon dioxide are the products the combustion of hydrocarbons and oxygen. The water has to come out the exhaust pipe somehow. Usually it's water vapor, but sometimes it's liquid when the system is cold.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Wow, some real asshole replies, here. Way to welcome people to the forum.

OP, I’m glad that at least @Rhinebeck01 gave you a polite answer.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@OldGuyNewJeep

To me, no question is a stupid question.

Obviously, the OP did not know and geeeez, he/she came to a forum of fellow Jeeper's and asked a question.

I mean this is a forum and questions and answers are common place here.

Yup, a real shame that the poor guy/gal .. the OP was berated... chastised.

Ya know I can be a real prick, I can be condescending and .... but you would never catch me piling on someone that is just politely asking a simple question.

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Alright... I was being a dick.

My bad.

I just would really hope that people would learn to search things up rather than ask others to answer their questions for them. Frustrates the hell out of me.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Alright... I was being a dick.

My bad.

I just would really hope that people would learn to search things up rather than ask others to answer their questions for them. Frustrates the hell out of me.
You do realize the world we live in now, right?

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
Exhaust systems have holes in mufflers and resonators specifically for letting water drain out of them. Some fancier mufflers use syphon tubes instead of drain holes, to avoid the sputter sound a drain hole can make. Most OEMs have requirements for condensate evacuation, it's something that's tested during development.

At least the OP didn't say it was unburnt fuel... I've seen that complaint before.
Sponsored