Sponsored

JLU Rubicon - 35 Inch tires with no Lift?

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
2019 JLU Rubicon, (steel bumpers) is ordered - I'm considering changing rubber to 35's right out of the gate. I like the meatier look, and it will add an inch of ground clearance. If I'm going to order tires, it needs to be before end of the year.
My variables:
Keeping stock base rims
No lift (Don't want one)
Don't care about fuel economy
Road noise (Initially and when they get more worn) is a concern
Don't want spacers

Pondering:
BFG KO2 in 315 70 17
Nitto Ridge Grappler 35 12.5 17

Can I do these without rubbing?
Will the tailgate and spare tire carrier function properly?
Load Range C,or E?

Given my parameters, is there any reason not to do this?

Appreciate your input.

Cheers,
James

Yep, your good. Ran 35's for a while before I threw a lift on.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Yep, your good. Ran 35's for a while before I threw a lift on.
If you run 35s without a regear in a rubicon does it damage your transmission if you donā€™t off road? Manual if that makes any difference?

Sponsored

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you run 35s without a regear in a rubicon does it damage your transmission if you donā€™t off road? Manual if that makes any difference?
Nope, that's what the 4.10 gears are for. No need to bother regearing. What you may notice is that the 8-speed tranny might slip in and out of 8th on the highway depending on the grade. However really hasn't hurt my MPG much, if at all. The lower gearing is meant to help out with bigger tires. Keep in mind too, that the JL was designed around 35's.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to kn
No. Wonā€™t damage it if you do, either.
Nope, that's what the 4.10 gears are for. No need to bother regearing. What you may notice is that the 8-speed tranny might slip in and out of 8th on the highway depending on the grade. However really hasn't hurt my MPG much, if at all. The lower gearing is meant to help out with bigger tires. Keep in mind too, that the JL was designed around 35's.
That's good. I have a manual tranny and i notice only a slight change in when to shift, but otherwise seems to be ok. But it's only been a few days with the 35s so still getting used to it.
I am not spending any more money on this jeep. lol. I think if i told my husband i needed to regear, he'd divorce me.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good to kn

That's good. I have a manual tranny and i notice only a slight change in when to shift, but otherwise seems to be ok. But it's only been a few days with the 35s so still getting used to it.
I am not spending any more money on this jeep. lol. I think if i told my husband i needed to regear, he'd divorce me.
Too funny, and all quite understandable. Either way, enjoy! The only other reason to regear is to get some really low gearing while offroading. I do offroad a few times a month but will never likely regear since I don't rock crawl, just trails.

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have another question. I know I have to get the speedometer calibrated. Does the recalibration help with the tachometer and shifting? It's a little confusing because i know it helps with the automatic because of the electronics with the transmission but does it help on a manual?
I do feel it's a bit sluggish. will recalibration help?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Youā€™ll do much better selling those wheels and tires yourself as a set, as new take offs, than whatever the dealer will give as credit. The upgraded wheels with tires and tpms you could sell for $1500+ I bet. I sold my standard rubi wheel setup for $1,100 and the sold the same day I listed it for sale.
Marky, you have a 6 speed manual like me. Did you notice a change in acceleration and shifting with your KO2 upgrades?

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have another question. I know I have to get the speedometer calibrated. Does the recalibration help with the tachometer and shifting? It's a little confusing because i know it helps with the automatic because of the electronics with the transmission but does it help on a manual?
I do feel it's a bit sluggish. will recalibration help?
Not sure about the sluggishness as I drove mine around before I installed the TazerJL, and, of course after, for the speedometer calibration. I did not notice any change in the vehicle being sluggish, however, I do have the automatic. Calibrating the speedometer will help, but I doubt it has an effect on the tranny in a manual vehicle. If your unhappy with the fact that it seems sluggish to you, a regear will help with that, perhaps stepping into 4.88 gears but I would do a bit of research if that's the route you'd like to proceed with. Your gas mileage on the highway will suffer from a regear, but it would feel better around town.

FPrice

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon 4D
Ok so hereā€™s mine. Method 305ā€™s 17ā€ 4.5 backspace, 35x12.50 Toyo MTs. No rubbing, but itā€™s too close for me when turned and stuffed. Iā€™ll probably order the Dynatrac EnduroSport 2ā€. I donā€™t want my center of gravity too high, I tend to drive too fast in the desert.

9065BC16-382C-4E1D-A6C5-1C1F491DEB02-L.jpg

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Marky, you have a 6 speed manual like me. Did you notice a change in acceleration and shifting with your KO2 upgrades?

I swapped my tires out when it had like 21 miles, and half of those miles were from dealer prep/test drive. I donā€™t really know any different than what it is like now.

I know for certain that the acceleration is WAY better than the Jeep I sold when I got the new one. The old one was a 2011 with the 3.8L, 33ā€ tires, and 3.73 gearing.

This new Rubicon accelerates plenty good in my opinion with the manual transmission, 35ā€ tires, and 4.10 gears.
Sponsored