Sponsored

Do I need to re gear my sport s?

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I have a sport running 35s and it drives fine for now. It's a little more sluggish but it isn't killing me to regear right away.
I'm saving my regearing money for when I burn out my 35's and move to 37's where its basically mandatory.
I have a 3.5in Metal cloak lift on mine with Nitto trail grappler tires and I love it.

Jp (3).jpg
Do you have a side view of your Jeep? It looks great.
Sponsored

RedJeep78

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport 2018
Not presently, just one from the back. I'll have to take a side profile when I get it back tonight. Quake Halo's headlights are being installed as we speak yay!

Jp3.jpg

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I wouldn't call it sluggish...

Sponsored

First Name
Calaveras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door
You will certainly notice a drop in take off speed and low end torque. On an automatic transmission, you will lose 8th gear and a bit of 7th. In a manual, you will find it difficult to have any pickup or power in the top gear. For some, this is acceptable and they simply "get used to it". For others, like me, it is unbearable and we must fix it immediately.
I have not modified my JL Sport 2 door at all yet (eventually want to put 34-35" tires on factory rims but wont be at least untill the factory tires are worn out). Was just given my parents old camp trailer that when loaded will be near the max tow weight of my JL. Upon double checking and seeing it has 3.45 gears factory, I am wondering if I should be concerned about that for towing. Since I drive freeway a lot and only would be towing on occasion, my thinking would be that regearing to something like 3.73 might be a decent compromise between low end pull for towing and daily driving. Thoughts?

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I have not modified my JL Sport 2 door at all yet (eventually want to put 34-35" tires on factory rims but wont be at least untill the factory tires are worn out). Was just given my parents old camp trailer that when loaded will be near the max tow weight of my JL. Upon double checking and seeing it has 3.45 gears factory, I am wondering if I should be concerned about that for towing. Since I drive freeway a lot and only would be towing on occasion, my thinking would be that regearing to something like 3.73 might be a decent compromise between low end pull for towing and daily driving. Thoughts?
I’m interested in knowing as well, though my thought is if I’m going to go through the cost of a gear change, might as well go to something like 4.10 or 4.56 for 35” tires alone, not to mention towing. Buy once, cry once.

First Name
Calaveras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m interested in knowing as well, though my thought is if I’m going to go through the cost of a gear change, might as well go to something like 4.10 or 4.56 for 35” tires alone, not to mention towing. Buy once, cry once.
After doing some math, it seems that 3.73 gears with 35 inch tires would be around the equivalent to running 3.41 gears on factory tires. So you are probably right and the 4.10 may be the way to go. I have a limited slip in my rear axle, should be a Dana 35 since i have a Sport S. At this time at least Yukon is only listing 4.10 rear for Dana 35 with open diff. Am i correct on axle type with limited slip? If so, any idea on where to get a gear set that will work?

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
After doing some math, it seems that 3.73 gears with 35 inch tires would be around the equivalent to running 3.41 gears on factory tires. So you are probably right and the 4.10 may be the way to go. I have a limited slip in my rear axle, should be a Dana 35 since i have a Sport S. At this time at least Yukon is only listing 4.10 rear for Dana 35 with open diff. Am i correct on axle type with limited slip? If so, any idea on where to get a gear set that will work?
Hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe limited slip comes with D44. I think there are options for a Sport on Northridge’s site and probably Quadratec, CJ Pony, etc.

Here are some examples. Look at Dana and Yukon, for example. I don’t initially see 4.10, though.
https://www.northridge4x4.com/search?q=gears&hPP=21&idx=products&p=0

First Name
Calaveras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe limited slip comes with D44. I think there are options for a Sport on Northridge’s site and probably Quadratec, CJ Pony, etc.

Here are some examples. Look at Dana and Yukon, for example. I don’t initially see 4.10, though.
https://www.northridge4x4.com/search?q=gears&hPP=21&idx=products&p=0
I need to take my JL to the dealer to get them to swap put a faulty gauge cluster so I can ask them about the axle type then. I appreciate your help.

Sponsored

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Anyone here have the 2.0 with an auto and regear for 35s? I’m not sure what way to go. It definitely doesn’t feel sluggish around town but on the highway I never see 8th and when it eventually does hit 8th it’s completely useless and shifts back to 7th. I don’t wanna go to low on the gears and have really high highway rpms either. I was originally thinking 3.73, but then I’m thinking 4.10. I’m afraid with 4.56 the rpms will be high and give me crappy highway mileage like I have now.

Yushin

First Name
Greg Mezyk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I have a similar dilemma. I have 3.45 gear with 35s manual trans. I get HORRIBLE gas mileage. Like 10 when I was going 85 in a 80 mph highway. 6 speed trans and I cant use 5th or 6th. It WONT pull. If I switch into 5th or 6th it slows the Jeep. What gear will work best? 4.10 or 4.56? I get better city mpg than hwy. Anything over 70 mph starts really effecting mpg. Does anyone with a 3.6 engine, manual trans and 35s out there know the best gear ratio?

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
I have a similar dilemma. I have 3.45 gear with 35s manual trans. I get HORRIBLE gas mileage. Like 10 when I was going 85 in a 80 mph highway. 6 speed trans and I cant use 5th or 6th. It WONT pull. If I switch into 5th or 6th it slows the Jeep. What gear will work best? 4.10 or 4.56? I get better city mpg than hwy. Anything over 70 mph starts really effecting mpg. Does anyone with a 3.6 engine, manual trans and 35s out there know the best gear ratio?
I would re-gear to 4.88’s if it was my Jeep. That being said, a Wrangler is a brick. You aren’t going to get good MPG at 85mph no matter what gears you have.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I’m regearing to 4.56’s in a month or so. I have 33”s now but plan on 35s next (maybe January at the rate I drive the JL). I’ll be happy to post my results once I’ve done it.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
This thread just convinces me that going to 35's with a manual transmission is a bad idea. Maybe if it's just an around town vehicle, but definitely not for long trips.
Anyone with MT Sport or Sahara getting good results with 35's and no re-gear?
Sponsored