New JLU owner... Not too Happy

Harleydz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Did I say it would insure trouble free, nope. Is it very common that any new model has more problems with the first units than the later units, yep. I need to wait for some live samples to make it to the dealership to see the colors live anyway. Yes I like Jeeps and no I do not need to deal with “obstacles” on a $53k vehicle, you can enjoy those. My GC is trouble free, no obstacles. Enjoy being first, you are cool.
Glad your GC is free of issues. Mine GC Summit 2014 however has had around 5 or 6 recalls and multitude of other issues including trim falling off and inner fender wells. Just got another one changing warranty on power Brake booster from 36k to unlimited due to possible leaks
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
It also scares me how much electronics they are putting in these vehicles today, esp when the average electronic device has a life span of 3-4 years and I want to keep my Jeep much longer.
This is the exact line the salesperson/finance person uses to sell you an extended warranty. Over 300 computers in your car that can go bad at any time. Better buy the extended warranty for peace of mind so they say.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Oddly my Ford has been great, then after 10 years I get a letter telling not to let anyone sit in front seat til they have a fix for the air bag in about a year.. wtf..

Scary part is they probably knew they had a sub par part, but waited a few more years to be forced to do a recall, and waited to try to figure out how to fix it. :/

It also scares me how much electronics they are putting in these vehicles today, esp when the average electronic device has a life span of 3-4 years and I want to keep my Jeep much longer.
Reminds be of the book Fight Club. Protagonist’s job was literally figuring out which would cost more: a recall or fighting wrongful death lawsuits. I never saw the movie, and don’t know if they kept that part the same.

Reactions: mln

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
We're talking a $50K vehicle here, lots of other manufactures force their dealers to have available loaners, especially in this situation.
This. Chrysler's CEO Marchionne publically wonders why they have trouble selling their top of the line optioned Pacificas and 300's. It's because if you're paying $50K+ for a luxury vehicle, you expect a certain class of service that CRJD dealers simply don't offer. Most CRJD dealers seem stuck in a time warp from the 1970's when customer service in the auto industry was equivalent to what a stallion did to a mare, good and hard, and don't seem to understand that times have changed. What they're doing is fine for moving tons of cheap cars and trucks off their lots, but comes back to bite them big-time when they try selling cars that cost $50K+, because people buying cars that expensive simply aren't going to tolerate being treated that way. The only reason Jeep can do it is because there isn't anything else that does what a Jeep Wrangler does. That, however, may change.

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
Auto electronics aren't the same consumer-level junk you're accustomed to buying for yourself, and even that consumer-level junk doesn't necessarily fail within 3-4 years, it's usually discarded because something newer and better has come along. I have an eight year old Macbook Pro still handling music production duties in my home studio. Auto electronics in particular use higher-grade parts and generally have no trouble chugging along for 15-20 years without a problem, and when they do fail, it's usually a module that's easily replaced with an equivalent module because everything is on a CAN bus nowadays rather than custom-wired.

The only thing really worrisome to me is how much they're putting into the entertainment system now. Heated seats via the stereo head? HVAC temperature control via the stereo head? Really? The entertainment system is one of those things that does go functionally out of date fairly rapidly -- anybody old enough to remember when cars came with 8 track tape decks? The Bluetooth specs currently call for backward compatibility so that a 10 year old Bluetooth stereo head can still control a modern cell phone, but I don't know whether 20 years from now that will remain true. Going aftermarket may not be the solution either -- the aftermarket now has CAN bus modules to allow aftermarket stereo heads to be used in modern cars, but none of those modules will handle the custom stuff like heated seats and HVAC temperature control -- they're more oriented towards recognizing (and implementing) the standard steering wheel controls, which are just standard CAN bus button presses in most cars today.

Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
This. Chrysler's CEO Marchionne publically wonders why they have trouble selling their top of the line optioned Pacificas and 300's. It's because if you're paying $50K+ for a luxury vehicle, you expect a certain class of service that CRJD dealers simply don't offer.
My local Porsche dealer does not offer loaners and their average MSRP is $100K+.

You can rent a car but they don't just give you a service loaner.

On the other hand, Jeep quality really needs to take a step up; saying "It's a Jeep thing" when it leaks into the cabin when it rains (and often not through the roof) doesn't really fly when you've paid $50K+, and vehicles with the issues seen to date never should have been allowed to be put on a carrier; it shows that far too many people at FCA just don't care.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Mechanics dont get paid for shit, if the book said a clutch replacement took 5 hours then thats all I got paid, even if it took 12 hours, my check was for 5 on that job.
Yes, but it works both ways; if the book says one hour for an oil change and they get it done in 15 minutes, you get charged for an hour's labor (and I would hope the tech gets paid for an hour.)

Jetg

First Name
Jet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' 911 convertible, 18' Macan PP
Dear lord where do you live. Our Porsche dealer gives brand new loaners every time I need service on either of my cars. This was one of the reason of buying higher end cars was the service after the sale and not needing to rent a car for mine to be fixed.

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
. . .

On the other hand, Jeep quality really needs to take a step up; saying "It's a Jeep thing" when it leaks into the cabin when it rains (and often not through the roof) doesn't really fly when you've paid $50K+, and vehicles with the issues seen to date never should have been allowed to be put on a carrier; it shows that far too many people at FCA just don't care.
It drives me crazy when people use "It's a Jeep thing" as an excuse for poor fit.

When you have to brush the dirt off the headliner so it doesn't fall into your woman's hair. . . that's a Jeep thing.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
None of the Porsche dealers in Denver metro offers "free" service loaners. One, Stevinson Imports, has an Enterprise car rental on-site. Prestige Imports offers "valet" service for a fee each way.

Note that loaner cars are not part of the Porsche warranty; they are an amenity provided by the dealer if they feel it worthwhile.

Loaners are also not covered under the Porsche factory warranty, so if your local dealers offer free loaners, they're making a ton of money elsewhere to cover the cost.

Sponsored

Jetg

First Name
Jet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' 911 convertible, 18' Macan PP
None of the Porsche dealers in Denver metro offers "free" service loaners. One, Stevinson Imports, has an Enterprise car rental on-site. Prestige Imports offers "valet" service for a fee each way.

Note that loaner cars are not part of the Porsche warranty; they are an amenity provided by the dealer if they feel it worthwhile.

Loaners are also not covered under the Porsche factory warranty, so if your local dealers offer free loaners, they're making a ton of money elsewhere to cover the cost.

I would call that a good business model. Take care of your customers and they come back. The bread and butter of any dealer isn’t the “sale” of the car it is in service. They make more money on repairs cars than selling them. Flag hours paid via warranty so yes they are getting paid via the warranty since the flag hours worked and the actual time it takea to fix the car are two different numbers.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
My local Porsche dealer does not offer loaners and their average MSRP is $100K+.

You can rent a car but they don't just give you a service loaner.

Odd (and dumb). My Acura dealer almost forces me to take a loaner. I'll go in for service that might be 2 hours and when they ask if I want a loaner I say I thought I'd just hang around (free coffee from actual barristas, big screen TV with leather seating, office workspaces setup with both computers for you to use and stations to plug your own into - all with phones for you to use, AND a putting green!) and they say "Nah, Karl, you don't want to hang around here, take a car and come back tomorrow or this weekend". Umm, OK. So I end up driving home in a brand new TLX or MDX with all the Sirius/XM and SatNav stuff active and an active tollway transponder. Between how reliable my RL has been and how good the dealer is I wish they had something I wanted to buy. I don't expect all those other amenities but surprising to hear that in 2018 all dealers aren't providing some type of loaner to people that bought their cars there.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
My Dealer always has a loaner for me, or they pick the Jeep up at my office/ home, leave the loaner etc....Not all dealers are the same I guess.

whoashaun

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
My 2018 JLU Sahara's windshield wipers are out of control. They turn on automatically and won't turn off. I can't change the setting to intermittent or hi, they just don't stop, even in the OFF position. I recorded video but can only post a screen shot (you can see the wipers still going when the switch is turned off). I emailed the dealership, waiting for a reply. I got my JLU January 15th and this has been happening off and on since last week.

Posted about it here
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/windshield-wiper-problem-in-jlu-sahara.3353/

wipers.jpeg

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Auto electronics aren't the same consumer-level junk you're accustomed to buying for yourself, and even that consumer-level junk doesn't necessarily fail within 3-4 years, it's usually discarded because something newer and better has come along. I have an eight year old Macbook Pro still handling music production duties in my home studio. Auto electronics in particular use higher-grade parts and generally have no trouble chugging along for 15-20 years without a problem, and when they do fail, it's usually a module that's easily replaced with an equivalent module because everything is on a CAN bus nowadays rather than custom-wired.
Oh for sure, (and there a few levels of military grade, it can really be a pia to deal with). I am not expecting the pcb boards to delaminate, but the more stuff you have the more will go wrong and half the fluff is gonna look silly in a few years, much like the 10 year old NAV system I have now (it was cutting edge when I got it!)

Looking at my brothers CJ (30 some years old, dont remember exact number), its running strong cause... its strong and simple.

I know times change, I guess I am finding myself missing the beauty of strong simple design. I do love the new Jeeps so, I will have to get used to all the fancy stuff I guess.

I want a strong and simple model option. No crazy Fobs, or becoming facebook friends with the window wiper controls, but has the strong parts of a Rubicon (sans fancy electric lockers and disconnects). It will of course have manual window cranks and door locks, and a real ignition key
Sponsored

Last edited: