Sponsored

SelecTrac & the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle vs Rubicon?

JJW_ND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
In my older Dodge diesel D80 LSD I was well past 200k miles before it did not act like is was locked 24/7.

My current 12 Sahara LSD is still preforming like new. Maintaining good fluids, never ever have even the slightest difference in size tires on the rear, and current LSDs will last 100k plus.

IMHO ....they are much better then a open diff, for a very long time.

I would be happy with a Rubicon having the standard electric locker up front but the Sahara LSD in the rear....because it works that good and it's a little more forgiving then a electric locker in the rear.

jjw
ND
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
The toilet seat should be left up! That's the end of this debate....... :headbang:
Well, duh! I mean that's obvious. The key factor you didn't address is which way the roll should be positioned - off the top or from the bottom? :giggle:

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Ok, I'M going to put this to rest, for me anyway, right here and now, out loud ( by way of text) ......
For starters, I'm not a wheeler, (I know a little), My first Jeep was a 2012 Unlimited Sahara Altitude Edition. And, I loved it. Did it have flaws, quirks and annoyances? Yes. But I grew into a Jeeper. I never once payed attention to any technical specs, outside the basics and didn't know shit when I bought it. Of course I've since learned a lot about Jeeps and the differences between the models. Anyway, here in Maryland we might get 2 plowable snows per year (on average) with the occasional Noreaster (blizzard) . With 4x4 trucks I've owned in the past; if the roads are bad, I just put it in 4 wheel High, when clear, I'm back to a rear wheel drive vehicle , with a light ass rear end. That's never bothered me one bit. I'm old school, I guess, and a pretty good driver I think. After 24 years being a Police Officer I pride myself with knowing how to drive in all conditions and often times with inferior equipment. So I guess that's why I never asked what rear/drive train/ safety equipment my Tundra or F150 ever had. I didn't give a shit, I just knew if I needed 4 wheel drive, I would use it. That's it.
The Rubicon, especially this one, the JL, just ticks all my boxes. Period. I've always said, "when the JL comes out, and if I like it, I'm trading it in on a Rubicon. So I did. And again I've survived the "evil" roads this long with far less capable vehicles. And as a matter of fact, some of these safety features drive me nuts. I know how to steer out of a skid! When I turn the wheel hard and mash it, that ass end should swing around!
In conclusion and taking this full circle. I've done a lot of shit, I've done things I never thought I would do. And there are a lot of things still to do and learn. I got what I wanted, without giving the technicals too much thought. If that means one day I'll be climbing a rock hill, that I would never even walk up, then so be it. If it means that I never even disconnect the discos, that's fine too. But just knowing that I can do these things, is where I find comfort. People buy fast cars, I mean really fast cars, yet the speed limit is 70 mph's (most places). So, get what you want. There's no need to argue about why YOU want it.
Hell, this purchase might spark me to take a different vacation this year. Maybe go out West and do something I've never done, learn something new. And guess what? Knowing that I can, makes it more fun......Dilly Dilly my friends, Dilly Dilly.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I'M going to put this to rest, for me anyway, right here and now, out loud ( by way of text) ......
For starters, I'm not a wheeler, (I know a little), My first Jeep was a 2012 Unlimited Sahara Altitude Edition. And, I loved it. Did it have flaws, quirks and annoyances? Yes. But I grew into a Jeeper. I never once payed attention to any technical specs, outside the basics and didn't know shit when I bought it. Of course I've since learned a lot about Jeeps and the differences between the models. Anyway, here in Maryland we might get 2 plowable snows per year (on average) with the occasional Noreaster (blizzard) . With 4x4 trucks I've owned in the past; if the roads are bad, I just put it in 4 wheel High, when clear, I'm back to a rear wheel drive vehicle , with a light ass rear end. That's never bothered me one bit. I'm old school, I guess, and a pretty good driver I think. After 24 years being a Police Officer I pride myself with knowing how to drive in all conditions and often times with inferior equipment. So I guess that's why I never asked what rear/drive train/ safety equipment my Tundra or F150 ever had. I didn't give a shit, I just knew if I needed 4 wheel drive, I would use it. That's it.
The Rubicon, especially this one, the JL, just ticks all my boxes. Period. I've always said, "when the JL comes out, and if I like it, I'm trading it in on a Rubicon. So I did. And again I've survived the "evil" roads this long with far less capable vehicles. And as a matter of fact, some of these safety features drive me nuts. I know how to steer out of a skid! When I turn the wheel hard and mash it, that ass end should swing around!
In conclusion and taking this full circle. I've done a lot of shit, I've done things I never thought I would do. And there are a lot of things still to do and learn. I got what I wanted, without giving the technicals too much thought. If that means one day I'll be climbing a rock hill, that I would never even walk up, then so be it. If it means that I never even disconnect the discos, that's fine too. But just knowing that I can do these things, is where I find comfort. People buy fast cars, I mean really fast cars, yet the speed limit is 70 mph's (most places). So, get what you want. There's no need to argue about why YOU want it.
Hell, this purchase might spark me to take a different vacation this year. Maybe go out West and do something I've never done, learn something new. And guess what? Knowing that I can, makes it more fun......Dilly Dilly my friends, Dilly Dilly.
so first off...thank you for your service as a police officer, 24 years is a long damn time...seriously thank you..10 year military vet myself so I get it.....second....like button...all of this! "Jeeping", or being a Jeep owner is all about what you want out of it. I find it ridiculous that fellow Jeep owners hate on other jeep owners for anything. From Rubicon elitism, to Sports suck, its all honestly BS....we are all family, and all wave at one another with a big a$$ smile on our face! We all learned lessons at one point or another. Hell my first Jeep was a TJ Sahara that I paid about 7k too much for just because it had a junky skyjacker lift which I thought was awesome when I was young....I soon learned like we all do! eventually!

Sponsored

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Like any purchase, it’s all up to each person to decide what’s best for them.

What’s “best” for one person can be “worst” for someone else based on their specific needs.

There is no right or wrong answer....

"Jeeping", or being a Jeep owner is all about what you want out of it. I find it ridiculous that fellow Jeep owners hate on other jeep owners for anything. From Rubicon elitism, to Sports suck, its all honestly BS....we are all family, and all wave at one another with a big a$$ smile on our face! We all learned lessons at one point or another. Hell my first Jeep was a TJ Sahara that I paid about 7k too much for just because it had a junky skyjacker lift which I thought was awesome when I was young....I soon learned like we all do! eventually!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Well, duh! I mean that's obvious. The key factor you didn't address is which way the roll should be positioned - off the top or from the bottom? :giggle:
LOL, I was gonna address this myself but thought meh, however, since you mention it...
This was an issue with a prior GF and I solved it very shortly after the first ‘discussion’ of this with... One Over + One Under no compromises and everyone’s happy.

Again get the right tool for the job... at hand. :like:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/sto...om-hardware-and-accessories-collection/229872

9CF8A8DF-05C9-4D81-B60E-158F83C1AA8F.jpeg

I was just going to add a second dispenser, but this was more ‘stylish’.

It has the added benefit of having a back-up always at the ready. :idea:

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Excellent illustration.

So the following video helped me a bit. I was under the mistakenly naive impression that LSD and BLD were mutually exclusive either or. According the video, BLD kicks in when LSD is not able to perform. This makes it more palatable and worth it given the 44 axles.

mvtiger03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
There are a ton of posts on the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle, but I don't see my specific question....I'll only be driving my JL Sahara on the highway, never off-roading. Do I still need the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle?

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
There are a ton of posts on the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle, but I don't see my specific question....I'll only be driving my JL Sahara on the highway, never off-roading. Do I still need the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle?
Seeing you are from Texas, and you said it will never go off highway, I will go ahead and say no.

If you want an in depth explanation as to what the Selec-Trac system is its all over youtube, but if you want the quick answer....its a primarily snow driving feature for the most part. Yes it would prove well on dirt roads, gravel roads, sand and the likes.

Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
If you get the Selec-trac, the anti-spin differential is required. So it comes down to whether you want full-time 4 wheel drive.

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
My question is why to get the Selec-Trac in the Sahara, I'm required to spend well over a $1000 on crap I don't want (wheels and tires, mainly)? Is this Jeep sucking $$$ again? As for the lively discussion that proceeds my scribe, I buy my Jeeps because a particular model appeals to me. Whether it's my TJ X Rocky Mountain package or my JKU Sahara in all Hydro Blue or my yet to be decided JL or JT. I have had Jeeps on and off for years and since my first Jeep was a (used) '53 M38A1, my demands are pretty basic, but I admit to being a little more pampered and a little more safety-oriented as I get older. Though, I'm a little like Dynomite1371 (with a few more years on the job), just give me the vehicle and I'll drive it. I have driven school buses, ambulances, police cars, Jeeps, sports cars, pickup trucks, straight trucks, motorcycles, planes, boats, etc., and I drive them all keeping two "rules" in mind: understanding 1) the limitations of the vehicle, and 2) the limitations of the driver (me). Since most of everyone here is talking about ordering a vehicle, decide what you want and what you don't want within your budget and then order. There really is no right or wrong answer. And then drive them within their limitations and yours. As one of my good friends is prone to say, "pilot error often happens when you put a 100 mph pilot in a 200 mph plane."

Last edited:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
My question is why to get the Selec-Trac in the Sahara, I'm required to spend well over a $1000 on crap I don't want (wheels and tires, mainly)? Is this Jeep sucking $$$ again?
I believe the upgraded wheel option is an error on Jeep.com. I remember reading the dealer can order selec-trac without the upgraded wheels. It does require the automatic and LSD.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
The anti spin differential also includes upgraded rear axle (D44) and all terrain tires.

If you are only doing highway driving you may want to stick with the standard all season tire. They may provide a more comfortable ride vs all terrain tires. The anti spin differential is not just for off-road. It helps in slick road conditions such as rain and ice, but all Wranglers also have brake limited differential standard that emulates a limited slip differential by applying brakes to the spinning wheel.

I don't know the answer but I'll be purchasing the anti spin diff mainly for the upgraded D44 rear axle and not necessarily for the limited slip diff if I purchase a Sport or Sahara.

theiowan

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
Occupation
CPA
I believe the upgraded wheel option is an error on Jeep.com. I remember reading the dealer can order selec-trac without the upgraded wheels. It does require the automatic and LSD.
The upgraded wheels are indeed an error Jeep .com. When my dealer first placed the order they followed Jeep.com and the order was $895 more than it should have been. The dealer was able to successfully get it corrected.
Sponsored