DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So what exactly is causing this. I'm assuming oil in the intake but how in the world is that much getting there. @Kevin8086 experienced the same thing in one of his videos where he was as vertical as you are.
So, for the record, does the catch-can prevent this, or are people still experiencing it even with the can? I haven't really seen a clear answer to this. I'd love to see a video or photo of a JL climbing an obstacle steep enough that it is causing the oil burn, then the same Jeep with a catch can on the same obstacle, showing no oil burn. That would convince me that this thing really solves a problem. Solving that problem would be the sole reason for my interest. Any other benefit would just be gravy.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So, for the record, does the catch-can prevent this, or are people still experiencing it even with the can? I haven't really seen a clear answer to this. I'd love to see a video or photo of a JL climbing an obstacle steep enough that it is causing the oil burn, then the same Jeep with a catch can on the same obstacle, showing no oil burn. That would convince me that this thing really solves a problem. Solving that problem would be the sole reason for my interest. Any other benefit would just be gravy.
I would doubt a catch can can solve this problem. However it still does solve a problem and that is the burning of what is being pumped back into your intake manifold via the PCV system.
I know some people say blah blah blah, who cares the engine burns it move along now. And to that I say if an engine were designed to have oil injected into it, it would be... and we call those 2 cycle engines. Yep, the engineers have designed the 3.6 or any other modern engine to allow this blow back to be burned but that doesn't mean it's in the best interest of the engine. Why don't they just put a catch can in from the factory? If you have to ask that question then you shouldn't be touching anything under your hood. But to answer it, it's because people are generally engine ignorant and wouldn't know what the heck to do with it.

I pulled the top of my intake filter box off and disconnected it from the hose and looked in and right there inside the lip on the air filter end of the hose sat a little puddle of oil. The dealership said it's normal and to install a catch can if I didn't like it. Yep, it's "normal", on all my other cars I dump a little oil in that hose so they can be "normal" to.
No one could ever convince me that an oil catch can is not a good idea.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
So what exactly is causing this. I'm assuming oil in the intake but how in the world is that much getting there. @Kevin8086 experienced the same thing in one of his videos where he was as vertical as you are.
Sorry for the late reply! We're pretty sure the smoke that many are seeing on steep grades is oil blow-by that has accumulated in the intake and makes its way into the cylinders (in large quantities) when the vehicle goes vertical. Blowy-by quantities vary by engine and climate, so that could explain why some aren't having the issue. The amount of oil that our catch can caught would certainly be enough to cause a lot of smoke if it entered the cylinders all at once.

Our catch can will help prevent this issue by significantly reducing the amount of blow-by that enters the intake . You may still experience some smoking up steep grades after installing the catch can until the residual blow-by in the intake is burned off. But after that, the majority of the blow-by oil should be captured by the catch can and not make its way into the intake. We also recommend emptying the catch can before any off-roading to ensure that no oil in the can is able to slosh into the outlet and back into the intake.

Thanks everybody!
-Steve

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
The pcv valve and tube is on the back of the valve cover and when at angle the oil cannot drain from the head quickly enough and get sucked into the intake and starts smoking. Add the oil catch can and it’ll quit smoking. We haven’t had any more issues. I’ll post another video on YouTube about how and why.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
This is hilariois, again, pcv valve is only active when the egr valve is. So basically
Not a idle and not during high demand usage. Its only open when there is minimal highway type demand on the motor and the vapor is governd by pressure drop from the intake manifold. Since pentistar is a multi-point , the intake
Valves are cleaned by the fuel being sprayed by the injectors. If the pentistar was a DI engine like say a chevy colorado id say why not. But its not. Do your research people.

Sponsored

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
This is hilariois, again, pcv valve is only active when the egr valve is. So basically
Not a idle and not during high demand usage. Its only open when there is minimal highway type demand on the motor and the vapor is governd by pressure drop from the intake manifold. Since pentistar is a multi-point , the intake
Valves are cleaned by the fuel being sprayed by the injectors. If the pentistar was a DI engine like say a chevy colorado id say why not. But its not. Do your research people.
That’s not the point. Last time my Jeep smoked on a trail it smoked for over an hour. That means I had to inhale that for an hour. That also means my entire jeep smelled like oil smoke for days. All our clothes inside smelled like smoke. OIL SMOKE. Since I installed my UPR catch can I have had 0 smoke on the trails but guess what..... the guys in front and behind me smoked. Guess what they ordered and no longer smoke? Yup, catch can.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I just installed a catch can on my JLR yesterday. I will be providing an unbiased review on it in the next few weeks. I did find more oil than expected in the stock PCV line when I pulled it out, especially with only 2,600 miles.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed a catch can on my JLR yesterday. I will be providing an unbiased review on it in the next few weeks. I did find more oil than expected in the stock PCV line when I pulled it out, especially with only 2,600 miles.
Hang on tight, cowboy... you're in for a ride.

minion_riding.gif

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Well, thanks for all of the thread bumps everybody :)

For the record, the PCV valve is always letting at least a small amount of crankcase gas into the engine, even at idle. The only times the PCV valve is completely closed are during a backfire event, under boost in a forced induction engine, or with the engine off.

Let me know if you guys have any questions I can answer! :beer:

Thanks,
-Steve

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here you go... if you want to burn this much oil in your intake have at it. Nice thread going on over here...

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/just-checked-catch-can-and-wow.24743/

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey everybody,

The pre-sale is still going for this catch can! I wanted to share our install video with you all in case anybody was on the fence and wanted to see how easy it is to install.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Steve

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Mishimoto

I myself, would not consider installing your product offering or similar CC offering on my JL.... but would like to say.... your YouTube, CC install video is, undoubtedly one of the best instructional videos / as in well done instructional videos, I have ever seen. Well done to say the least!

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
@Mishimoto

I myself, would not consider installing your product offering or similar CC offering on my JL.... but would like to say.... your YouTube, CC install video is, undoubtedly one of the best instructional videos / as in well done instructional videos, I have ever seen. Well done to say the least!
Thank you! We appreciate the honesty and the compliment!:bow: :beer:

-Steve

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! We appreciate the honesty and the compliment!:bow: :beer:

-Steve
I think, understandably, some may have inhibitions installing something like this due to warranty issues. And while it's pretty obvious this wouldn't do anything negative to the engine, some dealers just look for excuses to turn you away.
The good news is, in a matter of 20mins you could have it back to stock with how simple you have made this. Now just lower the price to $50 and a bunch of us will be ordering them :)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.