Sponsored

Oil changes and oil filter housing

JDLouisville

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
18 lbs is torque spec (I believe), on oil filter housing, what does it take to actually crack it?
I feel like you should be able to crank on it pretty hard...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
18 lbs is torque spec (I believe), on oil filter housing, what does it take to actually crack it?
I feel like you should be able to crank on it pretty hard...
@JDLouisville

I have been working with that exact filter cap for years, on JK's I had.
The JK oil filter cap 68191350AA is shared with the JL.

I never use a torque wrench when tightening it up. Yes, I snug it up tight but don't go crazy with it. If you listen closely when you are tightening the cap, you can hear the o-ring squishing/compressing.

I DO mention the 18 ft/lb torque spec in my posts so guys/gals, know the spec.

Anyway, I myself, have never cracked an oil filter cap. I do keep a spare cap on hand though, just in case I were to or found a cap cracked and leaking when visually inspecting the engine at some point in time after oil change day.

I assume the cap would be more prone to crack if you go to remove the cap when the engine has not been run and the temps are below 32 degrees, etc.. Perhaps over the years the cap becomes more prone to crack/brittle. I have read forum posts over the years where guys have said they cracked the cap...

Hint: When you remove the oil filter cap, look closely where the o-ring is residing... look and see the exact grooved area it is residing in. Now, when you install the new o-ring you have moistened with oil, place/roll the o-ring down to the exact same groove where you saw the old o-ring residing. Doing this will cause less trauma lets call it, to the o-ring and the oil filter cap when you reinstall the oil filter cap.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
@JDLouisville

I have been working with that exact filter cap since 2007. It was on my 2007 JK and all the JK's I had after that.
The JK oil filter cap 68191350AA is shared with the JL.

Hmmm, I had an '07 JK and it had a standard oil filter. I thought this filter didn't some out until the pentastar, which wassn't put into the JK until '12. It was actually a big reason I got rid of my '07 in '11, because I was afraid the pentastar would kill the value. But anyway, no big deal...

Does anyone know if the current Pacifica takes the same oil and filter as the JL 3.6? I would imagine they do, and a quick search on the net looks like they do, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows and didn't want to start a new thread.

Thanks!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm, I had an '07 JK and it had a standard oil filter. I thought this filter didn't some out until the pentastar, which wassn't put into the JK until '12. It was actually a big reason I got rid of my '07 in '11, because I was afraid the pentastar would kill the value. But anyway, no big deal...

Does anyone know if the current Pacifica takes the same oil and filter as the JL 3.6? I would imagine they do, and a quick search on the net looks like they do, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows and didn't want to start a new thread.

Thanks!
@cbrenthus

So far back 2007 when I had my first JK. Thinking about it though, you are correct. I just edited my earlier post so no mention is made in regard to 2007. Thanks for jogging my memory. 8-)

I know the 2017 Pacifica, 3.6L uses the same oil filter. Not sure about oil weight.