Approach to off-roading in your JL?

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I’ve had people say I’m crazy for taking a $50K Jeep off-roading. I get where they’re coming from but hell, it’s a freakin Jeep! Plus I’ve only done some trails in the 3-5 difficulty range. I’m not that experienced yet. anyways, that’s my strategy. Have some fun off-road but nothing too crazy. It’s my daily driver.

Just curious as to what others are doing...
Sponsored

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
Off road is where your Jeep belongs.

And it's not a 50k Jeep. It's a 29k Jeep with options.
Only in the USA...:) ;) Everywhere else it's much more...

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
I’ve had people say I’m crazy for taking a $50K Jeep off-roading. I get where they’re coming from but hell, it’s a freakin Jeep! Plus I’ve only done some trails in the 3-5 difficulty range. I’m not that experienced yet. anyways, that’s my strategy. Have some fun off-road but nothing too crazy. It’s my daily driver.

Just curious as to what others are doing...
First off, what you do with your Jeep is your business....and not anyone else's. Your question should be, "Why did I buy my Jeep?" Once you answer that question, use it accordingly..

Sponsored

BamaJL

First Name
Lamar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S, 2014 Wrangler JK Sport S
It is my daily driver and I take it off road. I told my wife that is what it is designed to do and that it is totally capable for the level of off-roading we do. I don’t do any rock crawling or extreme mudding. I remember seeing the sticker on a Jeep dash that said “Remember stupid, you have to drive this home!”

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
First off, what you do with your Jeep is your business....and not anyone else's. Your question should be, "Why did I buy my Jeep?" Once you answer that question, use it accordingly..
Why are you displaying your MPG if you are worried about people keeping to themselves?

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
I’m replacing my 2008 Grand Cherokee with a JLUR. I’ve wheeled the Grand from day one on some fairly gnarly trails in Colorado, Utah and Arizona and unless you look at the skid plates, you’d never suspect it saw trail use. If you have good spotters (and follow them!) your Jeep doesn’t have to look like you abuse it. (At least with western ‘wheeling where you have a lot of traction and thus control.)

You may wear down certain parts of your Jeep sooner like bushings, shocks, tires, etc, but that’s part of the game.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Off road is where your Jeep belongs.

And it's not a 50k Jeep. It's a 29k Jeep with options.
Hmmmm. No. Stop eating the crayons so I can draw something to explain this to you.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I have had people ask me at the gas station, "where can you even drive that car here?".
My typical responses are, "well, since it's a vehicle...everywhere that allows vehicles to be driven". Or if I am particularly annoyed, "a lot more places than that ridiculous shitbox you are driving".

Bottom line.. Unless the person bought it for you or is making your payments, their opinion means two things to me. Jack and shit.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
People seem to think if you off road your jeep, it will get destroyed.

Yeah, maybe if you're retarded, I have known a few of said retards, one kid would break shit every single time.

It does require you to have a better maintenance schedule though, and if not maintained a jeep that is off roaded will be a POS in no time.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It's like saying you shouldn't tow with a new pickup. Or track a new ZO6. Or drag race a Demon.

Sure it might be a little harder on them, but this is what they're made for. Who wants a garage queen or a vanilla life......lame.....
Sponsored