New 4Runner TRD Pro vs JL Rubicon Face Off Comparison Review

vtech243

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL & BMW X3 M40i
TLDR -- skip to 13:40 -- this is EXACTLY how I would describe why I have a JL to someone who is not a "Jeep" person.

Overall I thought this was a really well-done review and entertaining to watch. I really like these guys & their other reviews as well. Thought I would share here.

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That's not even worth watching. The only thing missing from a TRD is the U.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Haa, even in 4wheel hi, the TRD was only kicking snow from the back right tire. The other tires weren't synced, and it was loosing speed, getting bogged down. The Rubicon was driving circles around the TRD. Overpriced soccer mommy mobile.

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Currently am driving a 2019 RAV4 for a rental.....one word - "Functional" (at best.) Jeep is both Functional & Emotional - Win Win! In no way am I dissing the Toyota...but I drive what I drive for both Functionality and I have to connect Emotionally...this is what Non Jeep folks don't get. All though, Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini drivers must connect emotionally to their cars too!

Jeep On!

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
Disclosure: I have not seen the video.

Background: I had a 2017 4runner trail premium before switching to the JLUR.

IMHO: I have never understood why the hate between these two - I get it, die hard people that are loyal to specific brands will always b$#ch about things - but putting feelings aside and from an objective perspective: both are phenomenal off-roading vehicles. Yes, each has its own capabilities but the T4R always took me where I wanted to go. Same as the JLUR. Unless you are doing crazy rock crawling (which can also be done on a T4R, you just have to be prepare for some damage), they're both pretty similar.

In fact at times I miss my T4R specially when it comes to seat comfort, quietness and interior space but then I open the soft top and take the doors off and I forget about it :CWL::jk:

End of rant.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
pinch and roll! :CWL::CWL::CWL:

That TRD is a piece of junk compared to the Rubi

Last edited:

Sponsored

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
My buddy and I went wheeling the other weekend - him in his new TRD PRO and me in my Rubi. His TRD Pro kept up with us just fine. It was much slower to get over some of the obstacles and hit the rails a lot more, but it's a wonderfully capable vehicle. Is it as capable as the Rubi out of the box? No, but it's definitely not a "Piece of junk" as you guys say. It's a damn fine SUV and a damn fine off-roader.

Z5OHRWuF_VvL70a1mMZm0O28ZJUuo9zBI9NlrQIcutfZt5eyY01HdTUg7XHyt2u8f17UBF0cuQLQVGPfAn=w1278-h959-no.jpg

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
Reliability of a Toyota? That would earn Toyota some points.
and this. I had my T4R for about 2 years - I only took it to the dealership for oil changes.

I've had my JLUR for less than 10 months - Been in the dealership 4 times already (plus the oil change)... so yeah, I'd chose reliability too.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Is that the replacement for the Easter Egg (FJ) Fake JEEP

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
and this. I had my T4R for about 2 years - I only took it to the dealership for oil changes.

I've had my JLUR for less than 10 months - Been in the dealership 4 times already (plus the oil change)... so yeah, I'd chose reliability too.
What were your issues?
Sponsored