Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
That definitely explains the "1" you rated it for snow. With its current average at 4.0, it's not a confidence builder for snowy conditions. It'll be interesting to see where it settles in with more reviews. Early indications are that it won't go too high. Although to be honest, I'm surprised by the initial noise ratings. My past experience with Pro Comp tires (years ago and I don't remember the model) they were pretty loud. So far it looks like they've made some design changes to address the noise.
For someone that lives in an area that is warm/dry they would be a great tire choice. Very quiet, run smooth, and stay balanced.
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Very interesting! Iā€™m confident in the rating I gave and there performance in snow (and that itā€™s okay... 7). Iā€™m 100% certain thereā€™s better performing tires in snow. Your mention of using 4WD to get out of a parking spot is interesting because in our last freak snow storm, I was I parked on the street and got plowed in. I did need 4WD to get out. That - in my opinion - was not a bad thing but other people may perceive that differently.

Also noticed you rated milestar Patagoniaā€™s low in snow on JL but not the JK and mentioned the JL is bad in snow compared to the JK? Curious about that. I have little to compare to personally - first Jeep, first 4x4, first mud terrains but lots of driving under my belt in all seasons.

One concerning thing that I will reiterate is wet performance.. basically hydroplaning. Not sure if it was me and being overly confident, the width of the tire or the tread, but I have to drive differently in rain.
In my experiences the jeep wasn't plowed in. Just the fact of snow or ice being present kept it from moving.

The Patagonia did very well on the JK in winter. On the JL, it has had very poor performance. I doubt the tire is the contributing factor but can't say for sure. It could be the 4wd system, however the JK did well usually even in 2wd. It could be the geometry or the jeep or the jeeps suspension angles. I really have no clue. This is why I said I can't fairly rate it.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
So far this is going great. We've got some ratings (more to come I hope), and some discussion on why people have rated what they did. This is all great information, and much more helpful than the normal responses on threads that simply say tire X is great/junk.

Carlton, and tCub, based on both of your responses, it sounds like the ProComp is a decent tire, but not the ideal choice for NEO. Lots of snow every winter, and lots of rain throughout the year. Certainly don't want a tire I'm going to hydroplane with, or have issues with the snow/ice. Although someone a bit further from all the lake effect chaos it may be a great choice.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Winchell, Have you considered adding treadwear to your data chart? Might tilt the scale from one choice to another.

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Winchell, Have you considered adding treadwear to your data chart? Might tilt the scale from one choice to another.
That.....

I like the Maxxis Trepador, but those seem to have a life of about 20,000 miles. On the other hand, the Maxxis Razr M/T have a life of about 40k miles. Sure, louder on the road, not quite as soft, but durability is definitely a consideration for me, and I'd expect it would be worthwhile to a few other folks if they had an idea.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I considered tread wear, but it was one of the categories I trimmed for simplification. A few reasons it got trimmed. One being, that I didn't think we'd get a lot of responses for wear. Another reason being that wear can be greatly affected by each user, such as wheel spin, improper inflation, poor alignment, etc. And the last reason being similar to price. Manufacturers will spec the expected life of a tire so it's available data unlike the opinion based items on the chart.
Certainly a good recommendation though. I can add it if I can get some ratings for the tires listed. Anyone want to chime in and/or add some wear ratings for the tires you've rated?

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Another reason being that wear can be greatly affected by each user, such as wheel spin, improper inflation, poor alignment, etc.
Kind of like road noise is a subjective thing? ;)

I've had people tell me how quiet their tires are, and I've been in their Jeep's, then put 'em in something else, and had them say "oh....so this is actually quiet..." All a matter of perspective.

And please don't take that as a criticism, I think it's a great idea. Most of the stuff is subjective, and I just didn't think real world mileage was any more or less subjective than things like noise, or so on, that's all I was meaning to point out!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

I've had people tell me how quiet their tires are, and I've been in their Jeep's, then put 'em in something else, and had them say "oh....so this is actually quiet..." All a matter of perspective.

And please don't take that as a criticism, I think it's a great idea. Most of the stuff is subjective, and I just didn't think real world mileage was any more or less subjective than things like noise, or so on, that's all I was meaning to point out!
I think it would be a good addition for those that have had different sets over the years, if they were to say "my BFGs lasted 35k miles, but my Nittos were down to the wear bars in 20k" that would have merit.

For those just on a single set with nothing to compare it to, not so much.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda

I donā€™t think I would ever notice road noise. I always have the music on.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
...And please don't take that as a criticism, I think it's a great idea. Most of the stuff is subjective, and I just didn't think real world mileage was any more or less subjective than things like noise, or so on, that's all I was meaning to point out!
Good point, and well explained.
Seems to be a popular requested add on. I'll edit the first post, and chart to include "wear".

Now I need some ratings for wear on the previously rated tires.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Good point, and well explained.
Seems to be a popular requested add on. I'll edit the first post, and chart to include "wear".

Now I need some ratings for wear on the previously rated tires.
I think the thread is great, because it's solid info.....and the fact you put it together, much appreciated.

There are about 2 tires that I feel like I've spent a lot of time on, or in Jeeps with 'em, and that's the 2 Maxxis ones I'd mentioned earlier, and that's largely because many of the active club members have those two (Figure 15-16 Jeeps running the Razr MT's, and 4-5 running the Trepador's). Couple of guys just got the Milestar's, and like 'em, but I've seen enough cycles on the others, and the Milestar's are still relatively new to me.

That said, I suppose like any other Jeep owner, always looking for the next "best thing" out there, so definitely interested, in feedback from other people on other tires.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ
Great work! A couple of categories that might be worth adding are sand and mud.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I see so many posts saying what should be added to the list and so few people contributing to the list...

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah, I'd like to see more ratings too. They'll come along at some point..... I hope. :fingerscrossed:

There are plenty of categories that could be added, but adding too many the list would become cumbersome. That's the main reason I lumped all the winter conditions (ice, slush, deep snow, light snow, etc) into "snow" and the off-road conditions (rock, sand, mud, dirt, etc) into "trail". If I expanded those to categories, I'd double the list to at least 16 columns from the previous 8. I don't really want to enter that many, but more importantly people aren't going to give that many ratings. Heck, there's not a lot of people who have rated the current 9 (8 before today) categories.

I appreciate the suggestions and responses, it shows that people have in interest in the idea. As seen by the addition of "wear" today, I'm not opposed to amending the chart. I'm just trying to keep it simple and easy to compare various categories. I don't foresee adding more categories, but I'll absolutely add more tires if some are rated that haven't been listed yet.

Thanks to everyone for the participation. If nothing else the recommendations and conversation keeps the thread at the top where it's more likely to get more tire ratings.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Firestone Destination M/T2
Noise = 9
Ride = 8
Dry = 8
Wet = 7
Snow = 8
Trail = 9
Look = 9
Overall = 8

Comment: There is no Price rating so I considered that in my overall opinion.
Wear = 9
Sponsored