Dust in cab voiding warranty repair?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
yeah right dude. If you had any idea where this component is located you would know that is impossible or a major design flaw. How would it get between the firewall and the dashboard do you say?
Water jet from a high pressure splash into a muddy pond, I don't know, something like what you did in your profile picture there? No but seriously, I still think this should be covered under warranty regardless since they market the vehicle as such.
Sponsored

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Haha that was 11 months ago, no problems at all until 2 weeks ago. Plus it is literally just dust. I spend a lot of time cleaning the Jeep and even so its just impossible to keep dust from getting everywhere. Once its airborne in the jeep its going to get on the inside of exposed panels. I didn't make a car where the doors come off and windshield fold down, and where in the manual it specifically says that those features are for off-road. You would think dust is a given.
I would agree they market the Jeep to handle offroading and water fording but as consumers request more and more electronics and features in Jeeps, these type of realities are going to happen. Now, I do think they should honor it but I would advise you to not go running through puddles like your picture shows. Ive had numerous Jeeps, most recent my LJ Rubicon that in 2005 you could probably spray the dash with a hose and be fine, but in todays world thats just not realistic. What you can't see is where any water would have gotten as a result from your escapades. There's a difference from a Jeep commercial in going through a relatively small puddle vs you going through it at 20-25mph shooting water over the roof.

OP
OP
TrillestSon

TrillestSon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Water jet from a high pressure splash into a muddy pond, I don't know, something like what you did in your profile picture there? No but seriously, I still think this should be covered under warranty regardless since they market the vehicle as such.
That puddle is 6 inches deep its not a pond. The Jeep has gone 13,000 miles since then without issue. If the Jeep were designed in a way that would allow a splash from water underneath the car to penetrate up through the tub, past the firewall and all the way into where the radio is, the car would immediately fail with multiple shorts from multiple systems. The radio would die and no one would ever drive through a puddle again. The ac module going out would be the least of the Jeep's problems.

I have gone through the work to get behind the radio because I installed an aftermarket amplifier months and months ago, again with no issue. I can say 100% that it is impossible to get water from the road inside that part of the Jeep. As I said before your car would need to be completely submerged in 4 feet of water to get water that far up in it. Dust gets everywhere it comes with the territory.

The dealer doesn't want to eat the labor cost of pulling the entire dash off because its a pain in the ass. I am saying that if they do, and there is dust (how could there not be its unavoidable), they will probably void the warranty on this issue due to dust.

Did we not all get these cars for a reason? Like there are so many parts of the manual, the ads --- everything off-road this and off-road that. They literally stamp Rubicon on the side of the car. The Rubicon trail is a dusty dirty place. If the Jeep is so off-road capable then it should so be able to handle a little dust and some puddles. Massive puddles and hard core rock crawling to be perfectly blunt. This is a $45k vehicle for that reason. I find that extremely concerning.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
That puddle is 6 inches deep its not a pond. The Jeep has gone 13,000 miles since then without issue. If the Jeep were designed in a way that would allow a splash from water underneath the car to penetrate up through the tub, past the firewall and all the way into where the radio is, the car would immediately fail with multiple shorts from multiple systems. The radio would die and no one would ever drive through a puddle again. The ac module going out would be the least of the Jeep's problems.

I have gone through the work to get behind the radio because I installed an aftermarket amplifier months and months ago, again with no issue. I can say 100% that it is impossible to get water from the road inside that part of the Jeep. As I said before your car would need to be completely submerged in 4 feet of water to get water that far up in it. Dust gets everywhere it comes with the territory.

The dealer doesn't want to eat the labor cost of pulling the entire dash off because its a pain in the ass. I am saying that if they do, and there is dust (how could there not be its unavoidable), they will probably void the warranty on this issue due to dust.

Did we not all get these cars for a reason? Like there are so many parts of the manual, the ads --- everything off-road this and off-road that. They literally stamp Rubicon on the side of the car. The Rubicon trail is a dusty dirty place. If the Jeep is so off-road capable then it should so be able to handle a little dust and some puddles. Massive puddles and hard core rock crawling to be perfectly blunt. This is a $45k vehicle for that reason. I find that extremely concerning.
Have you already isolated the problem? It might be somewhere else and not necessarily behind the dash. Like I said, if salt from mud eats through any electrical contacts in your Jeep causing a short or low voltage, all sort of funny things could happen as a result.

OP
OP
TrillestSon

TrillestSon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Have you already isolated the problem exactly? It might be somewhere else and not necessarily behind the dash. Like I said, if salt from mud eats through any electrical contacts in your Jeep causing a short or low voltage, any sort of funny things could happen as a result.
It has been determined that it is indeed the AC module which lives behind the radio. Its completely faulty and happened when I was just driving down I-5. Also not the first JL with this problem there have already been a few threads.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrillestSon

TrillestSon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
It has been determined that it is indeed the AC module which lives behind the radio. Its completely faulty and happened when I was just driving down I-5. Also not the first JL with this problem there have already been a few threads.
I would agree they market the Jeep to handle offroading and water fording but as consumers request more and more electronics and features in Jeeps, these type of realities are going to happen. Now, I do think they should honor it but I would advise you to not go running through puddles like your picture shows. Ive had numerous Jeeps, most recent my LJ Rubicon that in 2005 you could probably spray the dash with a hose and be fine, but in todays world thats just not realistic. What you can't see is where any water would have gotten as a result from your escapades. There's a difference from a Jeep commercial in going through a relatively small puddle vs you going through it at 20-25mph shooting water over the roof.
They actually market this car with a 'hose out' interior and 'spray down' dash but you would obviously have to be nuts to try that.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

You're relating two separate things here though. Just by looking at your pictures, IF your issue was from this scenario its certainly not from water coming from under the Jeep but rather from above, like the fresh air intake for the AC system, going through it and causing issues. So it's quite possible that happened.

The dealer has no issue with warranty work. FCA pays them book for the job so they'll do whatever they need to do, in order to get paid and ultimately fix it.

If I were you, Id be speaking with JeepCares and getting them to investigate it themselves. If the dealer is claiming water/mud etc, Id be requesting more proof than dust. Also, Jeep does NOT market the ability to spray the dash out. You can spray your carpet and pull drain plugs, but spraying the dash and anything else is ludicrous.

OP
OP
TrillestSon

TrillestSon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Guess I'm changing my picture.

So much splitting hairs here about whats submerged, whats dust, what is too much water splashed on top of the car etc... its a freaking rubicon people not a ferarri. They both drive in the rain. Water splashed on top is a non issue. The Jeep is literally designed so that water cannot get into this compartment. It is designed to ford 30 inches of water and they do regularly. It has a hose out interior. This is all in the manual or stamped into the trunk of the car.

This component failed doing less than that. It's in a compartment where water cannot enter. Dealer does not want to cover it because there are signs dust/dirt/water/whatever got behind the radio. Maybe I should have just gotten a UTV and should sell this thing because this seems like a cop out to me with a bunch of people that granny their Jeeps coming in and crying foul.

This would not happen to a Toyota pickup for that matter. Yeesh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrillestSon

TrillestSon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
You're relating two separate things here though. Just by looking at your pictures, IF your issue was from this scenario its certainly not from water coming from under the Jeep but rather from above, like the fresh air intake for the AC system, going through it and causing issues. So it's quite possible that happened.

The dealer has no issue with warranty work. FCA pays them book for the job so they'll do whatever they need to do, in order to get paid and ultimately fix it.

If I were you, Id be speaking with JeepCares and getting them to investigate it themselves. If the dealer is claiming water/mud etc, Id be requesting more proof than dust. Also, Jeep does NOT market the ability to spray the dash out. You can spray your carpet and pull drain plugs, but spraying the dash and anything else is ludicrous.
Just from looking at your posts.. you don't even own this car.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Just from looking at your posts.. you don't even own this car.
And your point is...? I would have no reason to join this site unless I was, you know, a new owner?

Regardless, your knowledge of how water would get behind the dash says a lot. As well as your location and username. But hey, guess we should judge right? Good luck in you warranty repair. As I said I believe Jeep should cover it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrillestSon

TrillestSon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
And your point is...? I would have no reason to join this site unless I was, you know, a new owner?

Regardless, your knowledge of how water would get behind the dash says a lot. As well as your location and username. But hey, guess we should judge right? Good luck in you warranty repair. As I said I believe Jeep should cover it.
I'm saying you are quick to judge, and act like you have torn this car apart, been under it, washed it, driven it. Whether or not someone wants to believe me when I say there isnt water where this component lives is outside the scope of this. I'm saying its dust and I think that would concern people that this dealer wants to void a warranty for dust.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I'm saying you are quick to judge, and act like you have torn this car apart, been under it, washed it, driven it. Whether or not someone wants to believe me when I say there isnt water where this component lives is outside the scope of this. I'm saying its dust and I think that would concern people that this dealer wants to void a warranty for dust.
This is directly from the Jeep JL website...

“
TAKE A DIP

Small creeks, streams and deep rainstorm puddles can be crossed without a worry. The 2018 Jeep® Wrangler is designed with its air intake positioned high in the engine compartment, electrical connections are sealed against moisture and body openings close tightly, keeping the water out until you’re back on dry land.“

6C186846-BB71-466E-8D82-D993F6CA4A3C.png

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Wasn't judging, simply implied maybe it COULD be from your picture and used words like IF. And, I have driven, washed, been under lot of this Jeep. My friend was one of the first in NC to have a Rubicon and me being the Jeep/car guy I am, of course I looked it over. Additionally, Ive said numerous times Jeep should cover it. But, Ill continue to say if you do what you did in your picture, it WILL cause issues, regardless if people think the Jeep was built for it.

GhostActual762

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Recon
I wouldn’t worry too much, as much stress as it is(im assuming stress levels here as i own a JK) but a lot of people here view things differently. If you could provide pictures of the dust here on the forum then a lot of people would angrily not post the useless crap they post. One dealership is not a representation of all, as some has suggested try another dealer....there’s always a silver lining and maybe the next dealership will turn this whole thing around.

You’d honestly have to hit a puddle of anything ridiculously hard(axle breaking hard) to shove material through the hvac system to hit the underside of the dash. The thought is quite hilarious, i can see what ever actuates the hvac doors to have failed and let the dust come into the cabin covering everything it touched.

OP
OP
TrillestSon

TrillestSon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL Dust in cab voiding warranty repair? {filename}

Here but this is the dreaded dust, guess the link in my OP was not working