Sponsored

Why is Auto Stop / Start inoperative once the "Low Fuel" light comes on?

tlmacson

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
I can't help but question the underlying justification for Auto Start / Stop as a fuel conservation tool when the programming overrides its use when your down to your last 1.5 gallons or so of fuel. Can someone please explain?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I can't help but question the underlying justification for Auto Start / Stop as a fuel conservation tool when the programming overrides its use when your down to your last 1.5 or so of fuel. Can someone please explain?
I think the engine is prohibited from starting when your tank is near empty to ensure you do not run out of gas.

OP
OP
tlmacson

tlmacson

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
I think the engine is prohibited from starting when your tank is near empty to ensure you do not run out of gas.
But doesn't shutting down the engine conserve fuel?

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
But doesn't shutting down the engine conserve fuel?
I expect that was a bit of humor.- " won't start so you won't run out of gas"
I never noticed ESS not functioning when low fuel is showing. Will look out for it.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
An engine requires a bit more gas to turn over, as opposed to running at idle.

Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I can't help but question the underlying justification for Auto Start / Stop as a fuel conservation tool when the programming overrides its use when your down to your last 1.5 or so of fuel. Can someone please explain?
I have noticed it. I was struggling with the same thought process one day and I finally settled on: “Maybe I should just go buy some gas”. Instead of watching the engine cut off and on 10X before I get to the pump.

There are situations where it saves some minimal fuel, some where it’s questionable, and some where it’s obvious that it’s not needed: for instance, mine cuts off when I pull into the garage, then cuts right back on when I shift into P, then I turn the thing off. Very annoying.

I doubt there were any Jeep engineers that wanted to put this system in the Wrangler. I’m convinced it was government requirements that ultimately got it under the hood.

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Ingenious, finally a simple inexpensive way to disable ESS. Just keep 1½ gallons or less of fuel in the tank at all times omitting the need for a device to connect to the vehicle’s CAN or the horror of actually having to push the button on startup EVERY TIME. :like:

wile-e-as-a-leader-846x423.jpg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
An engine requires a bit more gas to turn over, as opposed to running at idle.
Approxamately 6 seconds of idling is equivalent to a cold start (warm start uses a little less) according to Engineering Explained on YouTube. Beyond those 6 seconds (Like sitting at a stop light for 2-3 minutes) ESS has benefits.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So as far as the Original post, I haven't noticed ESS failing to work when I'm low on fuel. It will still operate as normal, just as with a full tank.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
So as far as the Original post, I haven't noticed ESS failing to work when I'm low on fuel. It will still operate as normal, just as with a full tank.
Agree with Sean L, I've been on low fuel warning and has the ESS kick in. My Wife and I test drove a Cherokee Sunday that had 13 miles Range To Empty and ESS kicked in during the test drive.

Sponsored

biggprikk

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Jeep Thing