Dust in cab voiding warranty repair?

TrillestSon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
A few weeks ago my AC started completely freaking out. It would only blow hot and would not change from defrost / legs / front etc. Didn't really think anything of it and brought it into my local dealer after a road trip. No problems but AC. Today they call me and say that I need to come look at the vehicle because its not going to be covered under warranty, saying there is 'mud all over the inside of the dash.'

Naturally I came down there immediately after they showed me some pictures as this is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. The 'mud' was literally dust from driving out in Utah on dirt roads. If you have been out there you would agree that dust indeed gets everywhere but, seriously, how can that cause a claim denial? These guys literally just took out the foot panels (glove box and under steering wheel), saw some dust, then call and accuse me of 'using my Jeep as a submarine' LOL! This thing would have so many problems if it was flooded, it would be so obvious. The AC module is so far up the dash you would have to be in 4 feet of mud for an hour at least.

I was freaking out that there was some kind of huge design flaw that allowed mud to splash up under the dash, and these clowns hadn't even taken off a single dash panel. I didn't design the Jeep to have the area under the steering wheel and glove box exposed to cabin dust. God forbid you actually use your vehicle and some dust topples the mighty Jeep :SMH

What is sounds like, and what I cannot believe, is that this is going to be held over me forever for any warranty work on electrical components. This is the first warranty work I have ever needed on a vehicle. My JLU Rubicon has 16k miles. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Similar stories?

EDIT: some pics

20190304_115859.jpg

20190304_115848.jpg

20190304_115654.jpg

20190304_115649.jpg

20190304_115646.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

USMCBK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
so "Jeep" shows pictures of totally modded out jeeps doing extreme "off" roading as a selling point, (like in the posters at the dealership) but if you use it for what it was intended for, and in your case, basic normal driving...they kick you to the curb??? why not make that a commercial? "buy our jeep, the most capable off road vehicle in the market.....but....if you do off road it, we will criticize you and void your warranty!!!
justifying owning a jeep just gets harder and harder as of late......:jk::facepalm:

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
That's crazy... Some dealerships are crazy !! That's just wrong

hotttdogggg

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
A few weeks ago my AC started completely freaking out. It would only blow hot and would not change from defrost / legs / front etc. Didn't really think anything of it and brought it into my local dealer after a road trip. No problems but AC. Today they call me and say that I need to come look at the vehicle because its not going to be covered under warranty, saying there is 'mud all over the inside of the dash.'

Naturally I came down there immediately after they showed me some pictures as this is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. The 'mud' was literally dust from driving out in Utah on dirt roads. If you have been out there you would agree that dust indeed gets everywhere but, seriously, how can that cause a claim denial? These guys literally just took out the foot panels (glove box and under steering wheel), saw some dust, then call and accuse me of 'using my Jeep as a submarine' LOL! This thing would have so many problems if it was flooded, it would be so obvious. The AC module is so far up the dash you would have to be in 4 feet of mud for an hour at least.

I was freaking out that there was some kind of huge design flaw that allowed mud to splash up under the dash, and these clowns hadn't even taken off a single dash panel. I didn't design the Jeep to have the area under the steering wheel and glove box exposed to cabin dust. God forbid you actually use your vehicle and some dust topples the mighty Jeep :SMH

What is sounds like, and what I cannot believe, is that this is going to be held over me forever for any warranty work on electrical components. This is the first warranty work I have ever needed on a vehicle. My JLU Rubicon has 16k miles. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Similar stories?

EDIT: some pics https://photos.app.goo.gl/1tkJY44S2XivQafi8
:LOL:

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Contact Jeep cares, contact corporate, start a social media campaign with a good hastag on twitter, contact BBB. Start raising some hell, politely... until they address your issues.

Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Give them a call, tell them to fix it under warranty, or the next person that calls will be a lawyer.

OP
OP
TrillestSon

TrillestSon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thank you all for your quick replies./ Definitely sticking to my guns on this. If you cant tell the difference between mud and dust, you shouldn't be making this call lol. Dust is completely inevitable unless the car never leaves your garage. Will keep updating. One of the mechanics told me to contact FCA as well.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Call Chrysler Customer Care 1-800-334-9200 , have the last of your vin and mileage .. they will start a case for you

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
What about your profile picture?! Not accusing but if thats you then there's a good chance water entered through the fresh air intake

Sponsored

rizzkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Go to a different dealer. You can go to any Jeep dealer if you don't get good answers from where you bought the vehicle. I have done this in the past with good success

OP
OP
TrillestSon

TrillestSon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
What about your profile picture?! Not accusing but if thats you then there's a good chance water entered through the fresh air intake

Haha that was 11 months ago, no problems at all until 2 weeks ago. Plus it is literally just dust. I spend a lot of time cleaning the Jeep and even so its just impossible to keep dust from getting everywhere. Once its airborne in the jeep its going to get on the inside of exposed panels. I didn't make a car where the doors come off and windshield fold down, and where in the manual it specifically says that those features are for off-road. You would think dust is a given.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Haha that was 11 months ago, no problems at all until 2 weeks ago. Plus it is literally just dust. I spend a lot of time cleaning the Jeep and even so its just impossible to keep dust from getting everywhere. Once its airborne in the jeep its going to get on the inside of exposed panels. I didn't make a car where the doors come off and windshield fold down, and where in the manual it specifically says that those features are for off-road. You would think dust is a given.
Sounds about right, takes about 11 month for dust, salt and muck to start corroding through all the electrical wirings behind that dash causing a short.

OP
OP
TrillestSon

TrillestSon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Sounds about right, takes about 11 month for dust, salt and muck to start corroding through all the electrical wirings behind that dash causing a short.
yeah right dude. If you had any idea where this component is located you would know that is impossible or a major design flaw. How would it get between the firewall and the dashboard do you say?
Sponsored