Sponsored

Tail Wiring for flat towing with 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
RussJeep1 I'm new to the Jeep scene but coming off towing vehicles behind our motorhome on a tow dolly for almost 20 years we are done with hooking things up for the tow dolly and tow vehicle and we just want the simpler life of getting it setup right once and for all and be done with it. We also went for a tow bar to eliminate the tow dolly all together. Much easier.

Same goes with the supplemental braking, I don't want a unit that I need to setup and take out of the Jeep every time which is why I am going with the Air Force One braking unit. It's a one time install and we are good to go.

Just my feelings.

Michelle
Thanks for the explanation. I now get that brake controllers not withstanding, my suggestion would have worked and been cheaper, but that you were willing to pay for convenience--which is not only perfectly cool and sensible, but something I might have opted for as well depending upon the frequency that I effected said tow, and my adversion to the extra work each time.
Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Ok, I' ll weigh in with how I did it. I have a Rubi and I wanted to keep anything from hanging down (like a baseplate). I went with a RockHard aluminum bumper to keep weight off. It came with a good shield as well. I added the RockHard base for Blue Ox. I went with a brake buddy and used its breakaway setup. I use the "Jury rigged" magnetic lights because the bikes on the back of my jeep are obscured by them. Besides it was an easy plug and play into the 4 prong. I flat tow my Jeep behind my fifth wheel and this setup works very well.

OP
OP
JerseyJeepGirl

JerseyJeepGirl

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
All,

I've also e-mailed Kendall at CoolTech regarding my issue for some assistance and figured I would throw a post out there as well.

I had my local shop install the CoolTech JL wiring harness today. Everything went well but they had some issues once everything was completed.

When in tow mode and using the factory keyless entry fob to lock the doors the brake lights come on and stays on and don't shut off. In order to get the brake lights to shut off I need to start the car then everything resets. Also there are some indicator lights that are showing up on the instrument cluster display that aren't normally on. Not exactly sure what that is about. Possibly something isn't connected correctly. Seems as though the computer isn't liking the CoolTech wiring harness. Just a guess.

The shop that installed the wiring harness said the directions were clear up to the point of tapping into the positive brake light source.

Trying to do my best to relay what my local shop said regarding the issues.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing these issues?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michelle

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
All,

I've also e-mailed Kendall at CoolTech regarding my issue for some assistance and figured I would throw a post out there as well.

I had my local shop install the CoolTech JL wiring harness today. Everything went well but they had some issues once everything was completed.

When in tow mode and using the factory keyless entry fob to lock the doors the brake lights come on and stays on and don't shut off. In order to get the brake lights to shut off I need to start the car then everything resets. Also there are some indicator lights that are showing up on the instrument cluster display that aren't normally on. Not exactly sure what that is about. Possibly something isn't connected correctly. Seems as though the computer isn't liking the CoolTech wiring harness. Just a guess.

The shop that installed the wiring harness said the directions were clear up to the point of tapping into the positive brake light source.

Trying to do my best to relay what my local shop said regarding the issues.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing these issues?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michelle

Following.
What happened on your installation?

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there a way to use the extra unused switches on the dash to switch the Cooltech System as opposed to the additional toggle??

Sponsored

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
I've used CoolTech on my last two Jeeps. Easy install. Be aware that the base plates will install under the stock bumper. If you do any wheeling, you may damage the base plate. On our 2012 Rubicon, I had Tomken in Buena Vista do one of their steel bumpers with Blue Ox hard points substituted for the D ring recovery points. I know that other custom fabricators will do the same. After the cost of a base plate and install, you are not far away from a steel bumper. You can grind down one side of the D rings and mount them on the hard point when not towing. For auxiliary braking, I really liked RVi brake.

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've used CoolTech on my last two Jeeps. Easy install. Be aware that the base plates will install under the stock bumper. If you do any wheeling, you may damage the base plate. On our 2012 Rubicon, I had Tomken in Buena Vista do one of their steel bumpers with Blue Ox hard points substituted for the D ring recovery points. I know that other custom fabricators will do the same. After the cost of a base plate and install, you are not far away from a steel bumper. You can grind down one side of the D rings and mount them on the hard point when not towing. For auxiliary braking, I really liked RVi brake.
Thanks for you input.
I installed the Maximus 3 tow points. No base plate. I also purchased M3 Blue Ox adapters for the Avail tow bar.
I too am going the RVi brake route.

20181021_113733.jpg

20181110_165903.jpg

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Hi All, Kendall from Cool Tech here. Just want to follow-up on JerseyJeepGirl post above. It turns out it was an installation problem - perhaps our fault for not explaining well in the instructions on how (if) to connect the "pigtail" brake wire that is part of our kit. In short, our kit has a pigtail (red) wire out with a butt connector on it. This wire will be 12v whenever the Jeep's brake pedal is activated. There are some aux braking devices that want to have a in-tow-vehicle confirmation that the in-Jeep braking device is working. We supply this wire for that specific purpose. If you aren't using an aux brake controller at all or if the aux brake controller you are using doesn't ask for this wire - just don't use it! In JerseyJeepGirl post, the installer erroneously believed that this wire should be connected to the Jeep and this is what caused the anomalies. Disconnecting the wire resolved the peculiar behavior.

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hi All, Kendall from Cool Tech here. Just want to follow-up on JerseyJeepGirl post above. It turns out it was an installation problem - perhaps our fault for not explaining well in the instructions on how (if) to connect the "pigtail" brake wire that is part of our kit. In short, our kit has a pigtail (red) wire out with a butt connector on it. This wire will be 12v whenever the Jeep's brake pedal is activated. There are some aux braking devices that want to have a in-tow-vehicle confirmation that the in-Jeep braking device is working. We supply this wire for that specific purpose. If you aren't using an aux brake controller at all or if the aux brake controller you are using doesn't ask for this wire - just don't use it! In JerseyJeepGirl post, the installer erroneously believed that this wire should be connected to the Jeep and this is what caused the anomalies. Disconnecting the wire resolved the peculiar behavior.
I'm in the garage this very minute installing the harness. Aside from braking the gray wireloom cover (my fault) I'm having an issue with the directions that came with the kit. It sure would be nice if there was an install video! Since Im sure that wont occur between now and when I get mine set up, I would like to know how to send the brake pedal signal through the wiring loom to my 6 pin plug. Im confused regarding the long red and black wires.

IMG_1458.jpeg

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Hi Scott,

The black wire with the ring terminal attaches to one of the OEM grounding lugs in that front left kick panel. Just loosen the 10mm nut, slip the ring terminal over it and tighten the nut. As for the red "pigtail" wire, DON'T use it unless your aux braking device instructions are asking for a signal that is (12v) when the brake pedal is depressed. ONLY when the aux braking kit is asking for that signal will this wire be used. Otherwise, just zip tie it up out of the way.

And yes, that %$#$ gray cover can be a real PITA to work with.

Sponsored

RTC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tiffin Breeze/2018 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Folks,

I will be flat towing my new 2018 Wrangler JL Sport behind my motorhome. Can someone provide me with some guidance on the proper tail wiring kit to purchase? Should I purchase the Mopar wiring kit for the JL? If so appreciate the Mopar part #. Been reading about the CoolTech wiring harness kit for the JL also. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michelle
Greetings-Just installed the Mopar RV Tow Wiring Harness (82215382) on a 2018 Rubicon JLU and it works as designed for being towed behind our motorhome. It is a bit costly but an OEM part. Found instructions to be vague. Suggestions vs. a some of the installation instructions: no need to remove air filter box (step 4-5)-great access in wheel well (wheel liner removed)-purchased automotive plastic rivet gun from Harbor Freight-works great for re-installation of wheel liner. No need to removed rear cargo area components (step 21-24)-snaked cable through cargo side panel/subwoofer. No need to remove rear bumper (step 40)-removed panel behind license plate for license plate light connection. Found snaking wire bundle though passenger footwell wire harness grommet (steps 54-58) nearly impossible-drilled firewall (near floorboard-behind removed trim panel-installed grommet/sealed). Found connector/connector pin (Parts E&B) design to be weak and poorly designed for secure attachment of pins into plug-pins move inside of plug-it works but a strong likelihood of a poor contact-will probably install a 7 wire plug/socket to replace.

blightle

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon (JL)
Greetings-Just installed the Mopar RV Tow Wiring Harness (82215382) on a 2018 Rubicon JLU and it works as designed for being towed behind our motorhome. It is a bit costly but an OEM part. Found instructions to be vague. Suggestions vs. a some of the installation instructions: no need to remove air filter box (step 4-5)-great access in wheel well (wheel liner removed)-purchased automotive plastic rivet gun from Harbor Freight-works great for re-installation of wheel liner. No need to removed rear cargo area components (step 21-24)-snaked cable through cargo side panel/subwoofer. No need to remove rear bumper (step 40)-removed panel behind license plate for license plate light connection. Found snaking wire bundle though passenger footwell wire harness grommet (steps 54-58) nearly impossible-drilled firewall (near floorboard-behind removed trim panel-installed grommet/sealed). Found connector/connector pin (Parts E&B) design to be weak and poorly designed for secure attachment of pins into plug-pins move inside of plug-it works but a strong likelihood of a poor contact-will probably install a 7 wire plug/socket to replace.
How did you remove the white plastic locking mechanism to insert the pins in the harness connector? Thanks

HadesBane

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
How do you like the factory harness? I just bought my 2019 Rubicon JLU last night & I'm looking at having the dealership install the wiring harness. They had no idea the part existed. :jk:

DerekPB

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Reverse Engineering
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like the factory harness? I just bought my 2019 Rubicon JLU last night & I'm looking at having the dealership install the wiring harness. They had no idea the part existed. :jk:
Gratz on the new buy!

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
DerekPB - There are two harnesses available designed specifically for the JL Wrangler - the OEM kit and (ours), the kit from Cool Tech LLC. https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-je...harness-kit.html#/69-jl_tow_harness_kit-basic We have about 300 of these kits installed in 18+ Wrangler JLs in the US and Canada. Some owners prefer the OEM kit (I get it), but in comparison, our kit is a whole lot less expensive at purchase time and much easier to install - saving money again if you are paying for installation. In addition to these "made for JL" kits, your "generic" diode-based kit will work as well - yes, even if you have LED light option. While the generic kits are the least expensive the attachments made to the Jeep's wiring are external to the Jeep and typically with low-quality components (hence the price advantage).
Sponsored