Sponsored

Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED)

Poseidon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
Yes mine are installed to spec per the instructions on the back of the hardtop. The picture in my post with the red lines is from extreme terrains website. They have them installed completely backwards and on the front panels.

Although on the JK there were no rain gutters on the back of the hard top. I had my ski rack on my JK on the front no problem without issue (although the JK freedom panels were secured differently with two parts that screwed through the speaker bar so it was maybe more secure). You might be seeing people on the road with JKs with racks on the front.
Good call buddy. Right on with rain gutters nothing on back jk model. Cool that you installed correctly! Have fun on the slopes! Me and the wife love west coast skiing cause here on the east we freeze our hinnies off lol. Have fun and always safe buddy :)
Sponsored

Gemstoner

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GC Altitude Billet Silver, lowered
Just wanted to share a few customizations I made to my Mopar roof rack, including solving the whistling issue which seems to have hit or miss solutions in other threads.

1) Red decals: I cut some red Jeep decals to fill in the Jeep logos to add a little bit of color and match the accents on Jeep

IMG_0305.jpeg

IMG_0377.jpeg

2) Paint protection: I noticed on my JK the roof rack did leave a little bit of marks on the hard top, so to avoid anything I cut some small rectangles of clear bra paint protection film from 3M in order to protect the paint where it grips, this also turns out to make it super easy and fast to put the roof racks back on and off exactly in the correct spot since the film marks the spot basically

IMG_0331 2.jpeg

IMG_0332 2.jpeg

IMG_0380.jpeg

3) Security: since these don't lock unfortunately, I decided to at least swap out the bolt inside with a torx security screw bolt, it makes it at least a slightly greater deterrent to get these off, most thieves are unlikely to carry this special torx head around... anyone looking to do the same you'll need M6 screws with about 25 to 30mm in length, I used this kit off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CCMVJQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4) No more whistling! The whistle is pretty bad on these once you hit 65 mph. In another thread some had mentioned putting tape along the bottom center, some on the sides... people were having mixed success. The key is to put tape on BOTH the bottom middle AND the side parts, shown in areas 1, 2, and 3 in this image below I marked up ... I tried it with just the middle and just the sides and it still whistles, you need to do all parts numbered here to stop the whistle completely

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 5.38.38 PM.png

Once I figured out what worked, I wanted to come up with a solution that looked nice. Ended up cutting some black matte vinyl decals and stuck them on the bottom. They're basically invisible and this has stopped the whistling noise completely. You can't tell these are on here at all they blend in with the rack. The key is to cover all the groves and exposed areas on the bottom

IMG_0436.jpeg

IMG_0440.jpeg

IMG_0437.jpeg

IMG_0438.jpeg

IMG_0439.jpeg

IMG_0441.jpeg

IMG_0442.jpeg
Nice work !
I have Sahara skytop. Does anybody know if these or other roof racks allow sufficient clearance for the acordianized folded canvas in the open position ?

Thanks !

kkdonley

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I can confirm that covering the bottom surfaces of the rails will kill the whistle. Just did this to mine with some 3M tape (similar to Gorilla Tape) and it is as quiet as it was without the rack installed. Thanks for sharing the idea!
And why doesn’t the manufacturer fix this? Love the innovative thinking but as soon as this was identified a solution should have been developed.

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
And why doesn’t the manufacturer fix this? Love the innovative thinking but as soon as this was identified a solution should have been developed.
Hopefully eventually they will, but honestly most roof racks have some whistle to them (at least every single one I've tried)...

This one was worse than others. Even my Thule Aeroblade setup which was over $400 still had a little whistle. The Mopar rack is "cheap" (relative to the others) in the sense that its in the $250 range, so significantly less than higher end Thule roof racks. In my opinion it looks nicer with the "JEEP" badging and looks like it belongs on the JL so it was worth it to put up with the whistle and find a fix.

I think Jeep has bigger issues to fix on the JL than worrying about a roof rack that whistles

shaneR

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL & an Audi TT
Thanks for all the great information. I installed the mopar roof racks and the Yakima cores. All worked great and I have yet to notice the whistling people have complained about. My question is where did you get the cool red jeep logo stickers the same size to fit in the rack logo?

Sponsored

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Thanks for all the great information. I installed the mopar roof racks and the Yakima cores. All worked great and I have yet to notice the whistling people have complained about. My question is where did you get the cool red jeep logo stickers the same size to fit in the rack logo?
No problem! Those red decals I cut/made myself on a decal machine I have

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the tips! Installed mopar rails and cargo basket and have experienced whistling noise even at slower speeds depending on wind direction and force. I took your advice and installed the decal vinyl. Installed super easy and looks awesome, can’t even tell at all! So far, so good, no more whistling and it’s been real windy here with 60mph gust last few days. Cheers!

king_mamil

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Blue (Ordered 9/22, Delivered 11/22)
Will do, should be here the week after Thanksgiving. I'll have to use gorilla tape in the meantime.
Hey, did you ever try the yakima filler to quiet your Mopar roof rack? Wondering whether to order those or just use tape/vinyl.

malencar

First Name
Mauro Alencar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Granite Crystal Metallic
Just wanted to share a few customizations I made to my Mopar roof rack, including solving the whistling issue which seems to have hit or miss solutions in other threads.

1) Red decals: I cut some red Jeep decals to fill in the Jeep logos to add a little bit of color and match the accents on Jeep

IMG_0305.jpeg

IMG_0377.jpeg

2) Paint protection: I noticed on my JK the roof rack did leave a little bit of marks on the hard top, so to avoid anything I cut some small rectangles of clear bra paint protection film from 3M in order to protect the paint where it grips, this also turns out to make it super easy and fast to put the roof racks back on and off exactly in the correct spot since the film marks the spot basically

IMG_0331 2.jpeg

IMG_0332 2.jpeg

IMG_0380.jpeg

3) Security: since these don't lock unfortunately, I decided to at least swap out the bolt inside with a torx security screw bolt, it makes it at least a slightly greater deterrent to get these off, most thieves are unlikely to carry this special torx head around... anyone looking to do the same you'll need M6 screws with about 25 to 30mm in length, I used this kit off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CCMVJQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4) No more whistling! The whistle is pretty bad on these once you hit 65 mph. In another thread some had mentioned putting tape along the bottom center, some on the sides... people were having mixed success. The key is to put tape on BOTH the bottom middle AND the side parts, shown in areas 1, 2, and 3 in this image below I marked up ... I tried it with just the middle and just the sides and it still whistles, you need to do all parts numbered here to stop the whistle completely

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 5.38.38 PM.png

Once I figured out what worked, I wanted to come up with a solution that looked nice. Ended up cutting some black matte vinyl decals and stuck them on the bottom. They're basically invisible and this has stopped the whistling noise completely. You can't tell these are on here at all they blend in with the rack. The key is to cover all the groves and exposed areas on the bottom

IMG_0436.jpeg

IMG_0440.jpeg

IMG_0437.jpeg

IMG_0438.jpeg

IMG_0439.jpeg

IMG_0441.jpeg

IMG_0442.jpeg

Update: Finally got to give these some good use on a long ski trip, no whistling still and no issues

IMG_1164.jpeg
Would you be willing to share the illustrator file for the vinil pieces? I own a Cricut too and can’t stand the whistling anymore...

Thanks in advance

EagleJL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Sarge Green Willys
Occupation
UPS
Glad I ran across this thread. I installed mine last weekend. I haven't had it on the highway yet so I don't how bad it whistles. Does anybody know how the end caps come off? I got the rack to mount an awning to and I need to get the end caps off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Would you be willing to share the illustrator file for the vinil pieces? I own a Cricut too and can’t stand the whistling anymore...

Thanks in advance
Ya shoot me a PM, I can probably just share the Cricut file with you directly, even easier!

Glad I ran across this thread. I installed mine last weekend. I haven't had it on the highway yet so I don't how bad it whistles. Does anybody know how the end caps come off? I got the rack to mount an awning to and I need to get the end caps off.
The end caps just have little pressure tabs that you press in and they pop right off, very easy

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
Hey, did you ever try the yakima filler to quiet your Mopar roof rack? Wondering whether to order those or just use tape/vinyl.
I did and it didn't work. Still whistles, so it's apparently not the openings on the ends doing it. I haven't taped/covered the whole bottom, just the openings. I plan to take the bars off at some point and tape the whole bottom of the bar to see if that helps but haven't gotten around to it yet.

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
I did and it didn't work. Still whistles, so it's apparently not the openings on the ends doing it. I haven't taped/covered the whole bottom, just the openings. I plan to take the bars off at some point and tape the whole bottom of the bar to see if that helps but haven't gotten around to it yet.
I've tried all the combinations and described it at the beginning of this thread, you have to cover the entire bottom and ends to stop the whistling.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
How high are the cross bars off of the roof?