Sponsored

Mopar Cold Air Intake - Would you cut a hole in your hood for it?!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Snorkels aren't used as much for deep water as they are for cooler, cleaner air because the snorkels intake is often just above the road dust level and the air entering the engine from there is much cooler than the inlet under the hood. Cooler air means better performance. A snorkel is a real Cold Air Intake. Most CAI don't allow air any cooler than the factory intake opening.
:ontheloo:
Sponsored

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Put that money towards a lift and tires instead, and move EVERYTHING up higher and out of the water...not just the air intake.
Honestly, if you're crossing water deeper than your hoodline, you're probably going to float the vehicle.

10thMTNDM

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Sport
It’s a snorkel not a performance mod lol
"A fool and his money are soon parted."
I too am thinking about getting this... Drawing cooler air from the outside would be beneficial IMO. No you won’t see crazy HP, or torque gains, but I think you would see some better throttle response. There is a reason cowl hoods, ram air intakes exist THEY DO WORK. This is NOT A SNORKEL, the snorkel runs up the A pillar, cold air intakes and snorkels are vastly different; they both draw air from the outside but a snorkel is up higher, thus the tubing is longer so you won’t see any performance gains, whereas a CAI is shorter and brings cold air in via a shorter path... this is why there is so much bad information on forums people speak with no knowledge, or expertise... Why? If you don’t know why just why put false information out there???

P.S. Why do you have to call someone a fool for wanting a product for his Jeep? I love the Jeep community, but there are some serious aholes that share opinions that are unnecessary and unfounded...

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I too am thinking about getting this... Drawing cooler air from the outside would be beneficial IMO. No you won’t see crazy HP, or torque gains, but I think you would see some better throttle response. There is a reason cowl hoods, ram air intakes exist THEY DO WORK. This is NOT A SNORKEL, the snorkel runs up the A pillar, cold air intakes and snorkels are vastly different; they both draw air from the outside but a snorkel is up higher, thus the tubing is longer so you won’t see any performance gains, whereas a CAI is shorter and brings cold air in via a shorter path... this is why there is so much bad information on forums people speak with no knowledge, or expertise... Why? If you don’t know why just why put false information out there???

P.S. Why do you have to call someone a fool for wanting a product for his Jeep? I love the Jeep community, but there are some serious aholes that share opinions that are unnecessary and unfounded...

I love that everyone mods their Jeep to be their own, and if someone wants to try a mod that makes their Jeep 'theirs', by all means, do so! That's what makes our Jeeps unique and special. There's no 'wrong' mod, but some mods are worth the $$ and time invested, while others let us down with less than desirable (or marketed) results.

That being said, CAI in general are a total waste of $$ - for Jeeps or most any other car. Everyone has a great 'seat of the pants' answer to these questions (whether or not they 'work'), but if you look at any dyno graph for almost any vehicle with just an intake/ CAI swap the gains are abysmal if any. Sometimes there is even a DROP in performance - or at least a drop during the RPM band we use most on the road. Same goes for Ram air - total waste unless you're at race car speeds. I've built supercharged mustangs (500-600hp), turbocharged VW's (~400hp), and NA Jeeps (not much HP!) and the LAST thing I would ever spend my money on is a CAI for any of those vehicles. No hate towards anyone who wants to try a diff intake or cut holes in their hood/sheet metal to try something out - just saying I'd spend that $$ on a lot of other things before I dropped coin on a CAI.

Again, no hate towards anyone trying to make their Jeep better. This simply isn't the best use of $$ for mods IMO. But if you want it, you want it - so go nuts and let's get some real world feedback!

Sponsored

WrongWheelDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, Z06 Corvette, Fiesta ST, Polaris Slingshot

There is no cutting of the hood for the mopar CAI. You WILL need to cut your hood for the mopar snorkel. Thats what I assumed, and others thought he was referring to...no one is being an "ahole".

A CAI on this platform will not yield you any performance gains...the oem system is more then adequate.

10thMTNDM

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Sport
There is no cutting of the hood for the mopar CAI. You WILL need to cut your hood for the mopar snorkel. Thats what I assumed, and others thought he was referring to...no one is being an "ahole".

A CAI on this platform will not yield you any performance gains...the oem system is more then adequate.
I have read the instructions for the mopar cold air intake, you absolutely have to cut a hole; the kit “includes a bezel for cut out completion.” I was referring to calling someone a fool, that’s being an ahole, who the hell is a person to call someone a fool for modding their Jeep, when most don’t use all the accessories they install, who know how many Jeeps I see with a bunch of parts I would consider useless, but I don’t berate them for it....

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
A basic wrangler is able to cut thru water up to 30" at 5mph. Why would you ever want a snorkel?

10thMTNDM

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Sport
A basic wrangler is able to cut thru water up to 30" at 5mph. Why would you ever want a snorkel?
This isn’t a snorkel, as it is much shorter. Snorkels are not only for fording water, but also pulling fresh-air from uphigh in dusty conditions.

Sponsored

10thMTNDM

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Sport
I wish they had a modular option, like you could add a piece to make it a snorkel or leave the piece off for a CAI. That would be the best of both worlds....

RAZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara, Granite Crystal
Vehicle Showcase
Just saw a JL CAI get posted and scooped up on Ebay, so it's finally hit the market.
Sponsored