CrownRubicon

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Recently added a winch to my JLUR and this is my first time owning a winch. How much value should I place on a winch cover? The winch is a Smittybilt XRC-9500 with steel cable. We live in east Tennessee and it does tend to rain a lot here lately. Thanks in advance for the advice...

20190228_142739.jpg
Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
More important if you have synthetic line then with cable. I have used them in the past to keep the crap out of the cable, they are fairly inexpensive and easy to install.. I would remove before hitting the trails... Only down side is they fade quick and turn grey, so ended buying a new one every other year .. I recommend them

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
More important if you have synthetic line then with cable. I have used them in the past to keep the crap out of the cable, they are fairly inexpensive and easy to install.. I would remove before hitting the trails... Only down side is they fade quick and turn grey, so ended buying a new one every other year .. I recommend them
I thought the steel line would be more susceptible to the elements and would warrant a cover over synthetic...

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I thought the steel line would be more susceptible to the elements and would warrant a cover over synthetic...
I am basing that on old information, when I bought my first winch with synthetic line they recommended a cover because sustained sunlight could/would harm the line... That was years ago.. Not sure if it's true anymore.. or even then .. maybe he was just trying to sell me a cover :headbang: .. Either way I am a fan of having a cover to keep the crap out .. sorry I didn't clarify my statement .. I need to get better at that

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
I am basing that on old information, when I bought my first winch with synthetic line they recommended a cover because sustained sunlight could/would harm the line... That was years ago.. Not sure if it's true anymore.. or even then .. maybe he was just trying to sell me a cover :headbang: .. Either way I am a fan of having a cover to keep the crap out .. sorry I didn't clarify my statement .. I need to get better at that
I'm ignorant too. Lol I hope someone can come and school us all. Haha

Sponsored

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Covers are good to use not only to protect rope from the elements but to help keep the witch clean and relatively dry
While most winches are becoming water proof, I found the engage/disengage lever to start rusting a bit making the lever hard to move or sometimes seize it. Also seen some of the gaskets dry or fail being exposed to the elements and UV over the years allowing moisture into the planetary gears or solenoid pack
I’ve had a solenoid fail from the seal breaking around the controller plug in and after a few good rain storms it collected enough water to make it fail

Can get universal covers off eBay or amazon for pretty cheap, even tractor supply used to carry them (not sure now since they dropped a lot of their winch accessorie line)

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm ignorant too. Lol I hope someone can come and school us all. Haha
Back in the 80's I worked with cable winches to pull aircraft and after a few uses the metal cable gets shards and will cut you up .. So leather gloves come in handy .. Ever since then I have always bought winches with synthetic line.. not only for that reason, but; if a cable or hook breaks under stress its like a rocket ship and can cause some serious damage to people or anything in its way.. Synthetic line will just go limp and hit the ground..

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would add that while using a winch regardless of type of cable/rope, that gawkers stand clear and always use a line blanket

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Covers? {filename}

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Covering your winch is a good idea. Keeps excessive rain/dirt/mud/UV light off it. The $20.00 generic Amazon winch cover has worked for me for 6 months now.

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
This is exactly why I don't off-road. I don't want to mess up my winch.
I cover my winch so that when I offroad 100 miles from the nearest human my winch will likely work.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Old thread bump found in search.

Make sure when it’s nice out you take the cover off as well - covers can also trap in moisture and condensation.
I noticed this as well. I tend to put mine on but after it rains I'll take it off and leave it off for a while to dry out. Mine definitely traps moisture underneath.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Installed winch a couple of weeks ago and wanted to get a winch cover to protect it from the elements. I have an ARB stubby bumper with a Comeup 9.5rsi winch. It fits very snug and there is little to no clearance on the passenger side to fit a cover. I have tried several winch covers but can’t find one thin enough to pass through. Any recommendations on how to cover it?

Sponsored