PewPewDie

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL First time ordering, How's this price? {filename}
Ordering a 2018 4dr JL Rubicon w/ 6spd manual and Black Hardtop. The dealership is shipping the Jeep to my house after delivery (I'm two hours away) and includes a lifetime Powertain warranty. What do you all think? All fees included except financing.

Sponsored

Attachments

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
You paid right around invoice price, before the military discount, which, when you factor in the lifetime powertrain warranty (get it all in writing!) and delivery is pretty good. I wish I was paying low sales tax like that, but we don't have big tobacco subsidizing us up here...
Side note: I started another thread (Rubicon/ Sahara Interactive Pricing Worksheet) that will allow us to generate our own POC's, so at least shoppers/orders will have a reference for prices (MSRP, Invoice and 1-5% below invoice)

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I think you did well.

$39,481 is 3% below invoice. Throw in the extended powertrain warranty and delivery and that is a pretty good local deal.

Congratulations and thank you for your service!

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
$39,481 is 3% below invoice. Throw in the extended powertrain warranty and delivery and that is a pretty good local deal.
Right you are ThirtyOne! I didn't factor in the Destination charge, which he got in the $39481 price, plus with the military $500, it's more like 4.525%. Along with the warranty and delivery, it's a very good deal. He's walking out the door around $4000 under MSRP when all fees are factored in.

Fees of nearly $700 would chap my ass, but I understand that in a lot of other states dealers charge similar processing/doc fees along with gov. fees. Still better than paying $200 in fees here in NY and 8.625% in sales tax...

Last edited:

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
That looks like a solid deal!

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Right you are ThirtyOne! I didn't factor in the Destination charge, which he got in the $39481 price, plus with the military $500, it's more like 4.525%. Along with the warranty and delivery, it's a very good deal.

Fees of nearly $700 would chap my ass, but I understand that in a lot of other states dealers charge similar processing/doc fees along with gov. fees. Still better than paying $200 in fees here in NY and 8.625% in sales tax...
$599 doc fee is standard here. But sales tax for cars is only 3%.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
$599 doc fee is standard here. But sales tax for cars is only 3%.
Yeah, my sales tax on that build would be around $3500. If I wind up buying at Koons, I'll be paying the high dealer fee and the higher tax rate. Woohoo! Crazy that with the travel and the higher fees it might still be worth it for me to go down there (like $1800 worth it).

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
I'm assuming you only have the Hellcat as an engine donor for a JLUR...
Hahaha! Not quite! The Hellcat has been part of our family for the last 18 months, and likely isn’t going anywhere for a while.

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
You worked a great deal. My Dad retired from Chrysler Credit so I used to be able to
buy at what they called Green Sheet pricing which is called EP now.

EP = Employee Price at $38,893 usually 4% to 6% below invoice and options have a 11% discount.
EP also excluded dealer holdback and advertising but charged for shipping. If there was any rebate you could take those too.

FFP = Friends and Family Price at $40,397 which is usually 1% below invoice.

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Hang on...doc and govt fees are killing this deal. In the end he’s only getting 1.3% below invoice.

So, by my calculation using my order sheet which is silimar your numbers are below:
$40,716 - invoice
$39,481 - negotiated price
————————-
$1,235 - amount below invoice...3%...basically he’s giving you his hokdback as a discount.

However the dealer is adding back in a doc and gov’t fee...this is pure profit.
$687 = $599 + $88

So if you take this into consideration your amount below invoice is actually:
$548 = $1,235 - $687

This then equals 1.3% below invoice. This my friend is an OK deal, not a great one, and you could probably do better. However it all depends on how the powertrain warranty works as in is it any dealer or shop in the US which would be ideal as you’re military and may PCS one day. And how they are doing delivery...flatbed truck or driving it to your house.

I didn’t count the $500 military rebate as that should be in addition to any discount already done in the deal. I hate it when dealers try to work that in so I typically don’t mention I’m military until we’ve negotiated an out the door price. However with the military rebate you are getting 2.5% below invoice.

Have you looked into joining an affiliate like tread lightly which will net you another 1% of invoice off...roughly $407. You need to be a member for 30 days before you can apply the discount. On orders this typically isn’t an issue. Also you need to verify your dealer will participate.

As an example. Koons Jeep in VA is offering 5% below invoice, adding back in their $699 doc fee, allowing $250 off for tread lightly affiliate, and then you can also apply your military rebate of $500. With those numbers/discounts your price before taxes would be:
$38,629...5% below invoice
vs
$39,668...2.5% below invoice...doesn’t include affiliate discount as you aren’t using that yet.
vs
With affiliate discount of $407 your price becomes:
$39,261...3.5% below invoice

I think you can save another $500-$700 if you use the affiliate discount and negotiate a bit more. At the very least the affiliate discount of $407...but it will cost you $100 to join, so you’d only save $307...but it’s for a good cause as well.

Hope this helps. If the warranty is across the US and you plan to keep it for longer that 5 years then it could be good.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
One more thing...this seems to be the standard deal most dealers are giving people who order.
Invoice - holdback + doc fee for profit.

Adding in accessories and lifetime warranties are bonuses, but get it in writing and make sure you understand the fine print.

Military and affiliate discounts are in addition to the price calculation above.

Blood Type J+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 TJ Sport 6-cyl
Adding in accessories and lifetime warranties are bonuses, but get it in writing and make sure you understand the fine print.
Yes - lifetime powertrain? lifetime bumper to bumper? FCA warranty good at any dealer?

The paper shown is a preliminary document and shows $0.00 for a service contract rather than n/c. Doesn't really matter at this stage but take all the time you need with the final paperwork to be sure you're getting exactly what you've agreed to in principle.

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
Mine configured to $54,950. I buying at $48,618 before tax & license or extended warranty.