Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL Tire comparisons, Owner ratings chart.  What's good and what's hype Tire ratings.JPG

On my quest for tires I've come across multiple threads that become tire debates. There are a lot of threads but not a lot of ways to compare one to another. I hope this thread/chart will serve as an easy reference tool to help people compare tires without having to read a thread for every tire they want to look at. It may also help them find a tire they didn't realize they might be interested in. To do this, I need your help.

I made the above chart based on actual user experience. I also added ratings from vendor/manufacturer on common tires discussed (some aren't rated yet). I will also add tires if someone reviews one that isn't on the list.

To contribute to the chart simply post what tire you want to rate, along with your ratings in the same order as the chart (Tire, Noise, Ride, Dry, Wet, Snow, Trail, Look, Overall). If you haven't driven in a condition, such as snow for you southerners, simply put a "0" or "x" for that rating.
For example someone from Florida wants to rate the Duratrac but they've never had them in the snow. They could post "Duratrac 9, 9, 10, 9, x, 8, 7, 9" and I'll add their rating in.

To clarify my categories. 1 is the worst 10 is the best.
Noise = I'm talking about road noise. How loud are they when you're driving?
Ride = How do they feel? Shhhh don't tell, but Jeeps drive on the road too, not just the trail. How does this tire feel on the road?
Dry = Do they corner well, do the stop well, do they spin easily when you accelerate?
Wet = This is the same question as dry, but when the ground is wet.
Snow = This lumps light snow, deep snow, slush and ice together. How does the tire handle in winter conditions.
Trail = This lumps all off-road use together. Rocks, dirt, sand, mud, etc. I know some tires are specific to different off-road conditions, but this chart is simplified. Just give it an overall trail rating on your experience.
Look = How do you like the look of the tire/tread? Are they aggressive enough looking, are they boring?
Overall = You're overall take on the tire. It doesn't have to be an average of your ratings. You may love the tire, despite it falling short in some categories.
Wear = Do they wear out fast/unevenly or do they wear like iron? Do the tread blocks chip off on the edges or do they hold up well to abuse. How is this tire in regards to durability.

That's it. Post up your ratings, and I'll continue to update the chart. Obviously we can have discussion about various tires throughout the thread too. Hopefully this goes as planned, and it will become a great tool.

EDIT/ADDITION:
Upon popular request, I added a category to the chart for wear. Same 1-10 scale, but you can rate how they've held up for you.

EDIT 1/21/23 FOR CLARIFICATION:
Just a remind, since it's come up a few times through the conversation of the thread. When reading the chart, the "Overall" category is NOT an average of all the categories. This is based on the reviewer's overall opinion of the tire regardless of how each category scores. For example, if they rate the tire 8's across the board, it may be the best tire they've ever had an thus feel it deserves a 10 overall. As a result the chart would show 8's in every category but a 10 overall rather than the averaged 8.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
The chart is color coded for easy comparison. Any tire containing a JLWranglerforum rating will be color coded. I left the vendor/manufacturer numbers uncolored so you know they're not from us.
All ratings will be averaged into the chart so if user "A" rates the Trail Grappler a 10 in every column, and user "B" rates them a 5 in every column, the chart will be averaged to show 7.5. Obviously the more ratings we have the more accurate the average will be, so please tell us what you think

Obviously this is an honor system thread/chart. I'm not fact checking so I guess if a troll wants to bash a tire they can throw off the number for everyone. Don't be that guy.
Also, if you have a tire and are ashamed to admit you regret your purchase, you can PM your rating to me. I'll add it in, but nobody has to know who gave the ratings. I'm hoping to make a comprehensive chart here to make tire shopping much easier for everyone.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Pretty cool thread idea, looks like you've put good thought into this as well :)

Having owned several 4x4s way back in the stone age the tires that I ran are no longer in production (or at least the current versions are significantly different).

So I can only go by the lame Michelin Mini Van tires that came on our JL and the Milestar Patagonias that I'm currently running.

For a MT (or hybrid MT to be more specific) the Milestars are louder than the stock tires but not objectionable. I think not being a true MT tread helps in that regard as their is a lot more rubber meeting the road in the center section of the tread block. Mine are E-rated so the ride is firmed up a bit, but I'm running stock suspension so the ride is really good IMO. Only some mild off-roading thus far as I only have about 600 miles on the tires. Tires balanced very easily (tires were indexed properly at the shop) and have no vibrations at hwy speeds. I'm running hub-centric wheels so this also could help in lack of any vibration.
As far as looks go, gotten many positive comments w/ most really liking the unique sidewall edge and the aggressive tread block, the raised outlining in the lettering also has gotten some good comments, so IMO the looks would be at least an 8!

So far I would say these tires are performing very well in all they've been exposed to, I will post updates as time goes on.
As far as ratings down the line as per OPs requests
Noise 7.5
Ride 8
Dry 8
Look 8+
Overall 8+
(other ratings I haven't tried yet)
Hope to see a lot of feedback in this thread from many tire choices, should be very valuable down the road!

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
Don't forget Toyo's

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
@blnewt Thanks for the input, and positive response to the thread. I this thread takes off, it could be very helpful. The more responses we get the more powerful a tool it will be. I've added your ratings for the Patagonia.

Don't forget Toyo's
I added two sets. Just let me know if you want to see additional tires listed, and any ratings for them. In the mean time I used mfg/vendor ratings for them.

PS. I added an update and revision to the chart.
The update: I changed the medium ratings to light blue instead of off-white. I also changed the distributor/manufacturer ratings to gray.
The revision: Added a column for number of reviews. That way we can see if it's just 1 person's opinion or an average of 100 opinions.

I will continue to replace the chart on post #1 as long as I'm able to edit that post. If for some reason I can't (some forums time out on how far back you can edit), I'll have to post it in sequence with the thread. If I can continue to edit post #1, it should make it very easy to reference the chart.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I added some Toyo tires as requested. I'd prefer to have some actual user reviews on a lot more of these tires. Let's hear what you all have to say about your ties guys/gals.

The following is a list of all the charted tires so far trying to get searches directed here so we can get tire ratings for the chart:

BFG T/A KM2, BFG T/A MK3, BFG T/A KO2, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3, Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx, Cooper Discoverer SST Pro, Firestone Destination M/T2, Goodyear Duratrac, Kelly Safari TSR, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, Milestar Patagonia, NItto Ridge Grappler, Nitto Trail Grappler, Toyo Open Country M/T, Toyo Open County R/T

Last edited:

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Nitto Ridge Grappler

Noise - 10
Ride - 9
Dry - 9
Wet - 8
Snow - 5
Trail - x
Look - 10
Overall - 8

I wasn’t impressed with going up a steep hill in snow but I also wasn’t able to get it in 4H before getting to said hill so my rating is really based on 2H which was marginal to poor. I’ll revise my snow rating if we get anymore this year.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Milestar Patagonia MT

Noise 10
Ride 10
Dry 10
Wet 10
Snow 8 on JK 1 on JL. Not sure what the difference is but can't give a fair rating. My thought is the JL just sucks on the snow.
Trail 7
Look 7
Overall x

Pro Comp Xtreme MT2

Noise 9
Ride 10
Dry 10
Wet 7
Snow 1
Trail 7
Look 7
Overall x

Mastercraft MXT

Noise 8
Ride 10
Dry 10
Wet 7
Snow 4
Trail 10
Look 9
Overall x

Goodyear Duratrac

Noise 7
Ride 5
Dry 5
Wet 10
Snow 10
Trail 10
Look 8
Overall x

BFG KO2

Noise 10
Ride 8
Dry 10
Wet 9
Snow 7
Trail x
Look 8
Overall x

I did not enter overall scores because I feel the specifics are more relevant than a broad generalization. The rating really matters on what a person is looking for in a tire. For example: if you live in a warm dry place, the MT2 would be a great tire. In a cold wet/snowy place it sucks.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Thanks IndustrialAction and Carlton !!! The ratings have been added.

IndustrialAction, I'd be interested to know how those tires do in the snow with 4wd engaged. Those are one of the tires that I'm interested in, but they've got to be able to handle snow. I actually like that your rating includes a 2wd assessment of them in the snow. We don't drive around in 4wd all winter long, so their ability to handle in 2wd is pertinent.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

IndustrialAction, I'd be interested to know how those tires do in the snow with 4wd engaged. Those are one of the tires that I'm interested in, but they've got to be able to handle snow. I actually like that your rating includes a 2wd assessment of them in the snow. We don't drive around in 4wd all winter long, so their ability to handle in 2wd is pertinent.
Personally I'm hoping for no more snow this year but with the way things have been going, I'm confident I'll get another try. I was in 2H the whole time and thought about going to 4H for the hill but it starts at a 4-way stop and requires a left turn so I didn't want to deal with 4H going into the stop/turn. Going up hill worked but not what I hoped for. My AWD Santa Fe climbed that hill in the snow many times and I never had even a little slippage. Not apples to apples of course but still surprising

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL

You can hear Nittos hum, not as bad as a MT, but under no scale are they a 10 for noise.

Also in terms of non subjective ratings might want a check box for 3 peak snow rating (KO2s have it, nito ridge grapples do not), in some places they are required to drive at certain times of a year, so if a tire could qualify for it, it would get it, despite all the heart warming stories about how great it is in the parking lot at safeway in snow.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You can hear Nittos hum, not as bad as a MT, but under no scale are they a 10 for noise.

Also in terms of non subjective ratings might want a check box for 3 peak snow rating (KO2s have it, nito ridge grapples do not), in some places they are required to drive at certain times of a year, so if a tire could qualify for it, it would get it, despite all the heart warming stories about how great it is in the parking lot at safeway in snow.
I'm pretty sure the ask was to rate them based on the owner's experiences. In my experience, my Nittos are so quiet that I can't hear them at all. Maybe if I had the windows down but it's averaging like 30 here.

Nothing like trolling another user's post

If you're going to comment, why not actually add to the post with ratings?

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I'm pretty sure the ask was to rate them based on the owner's experiences. In my experience, my Nittos are so quiet that I can't hear them at all. Maybe if I had the windows down but it's averaging like 30 here.

Nothing like trolling another user's post

If you're going to comment, why not actually add to the post with ratings?
My points are al lgood ones, including adding 3 peak ratings. Nitos make a measurable hum noises that you dotn hear on KO2s or Duras, so it a fair statement.

Its ok to talk without getting mad or think discussions are trolling.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Ko2 315/70/17 load c. 3000 mile review. Offroad 5 times. Great on road and dry condition offroad tire....get caked up in Tennessee mud pretty easily

Tire 9
Noise 10
Ride 10
Dry 10
Wet 9
Snow x
Trail 8
Look 9
Overall 9.

Reactions: LCW
OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon

I'm pretty sure the ask was to rate them based on the owner's experiences. In my experience, my Nittos are so quiet that I can't hear them at all....
Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I want ratings based on experiences from people who actually use the tires. I think most people would prefer to shop based on that , than the inflated opinions of people trying to sell a specific tire. This will obviously be a subjective rating chart, but I like that it shows a general consensus rather than the lopsided views which you may find on a vendor's site, or a thread specific to a particular tire.

My points are al lgood ones, including adding 3 peak ratings. Nitos make a measurable hum noises that you dotn hear on KO2s or Duras, so it a fair statement.

Its ok to talk without getting mad or think discussions are trolling.
I didn't take it as trolling, so no worries. I would like to see how you'd rate the Nittos, KO2's and Duratrac's, if you've used all three though. You (and anyone else) can PM ratings if you don't want to publicly post them.

As for 3 peak ratings. I'm not sure what you mean. Are talking about the "mountain and snowflake" icon indicating a severe snow rating beyond the M+S rating? If so, I could add it to the tire description, but the "snow" rating should reflect how good it is in those conditions anyway.

PM, and ChattVol your ratings are added.
Sponsored

Last edited: