Sponsored

Ham Install - Yaesu FTM - 400 DXR

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Spent the past two days installing my Yaesu 400 and now ready for the apocalypse with multiple comms (CB, 400dxr, and FT70 DR.

Couple of install notes:

I lowered the windshield and routed both power and the coax from the antenna to the right passenger footwell, where i mounted the head unit. I found the piece of weather stripping ideal to hide the wires. In fact, both the coax and the controller unit wires fit perfectly into this channel simply by pushing them in between the weather seal and the trim.

Mounted the controller unit to 67 designs rail unit and a x grip on a 1inch ball. Reused the cooltech mount for the mic and mounted the FT70 and the Cobra to the grab handle using a JeepUniq mount.

Lastly - power. Instead of piercing the firewall, I lowered the windshield and snaked the wires through the a pillar cowling directly to the battery. Dressed it up with some wire loom and wired directly to the battery. So far so good.

DSC01925-2.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
voodoo11

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@voodoo11 Where did you mount your antennas? What size x-grip? My FTM-400 is supposed to get here this week.
On the driver side A pillar. I lowered the windshield and then snaked the wires underneath the cowling, in the small groove of the window seal/plastic dash.

FDA9B0FA-5970-4AFD-A52A-07E74DBF75F0.jpeg

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
On the driver side A pillar. I lowered the windshield and then snaked the wires underneath the cowling, in the small groove of the window seal/plastic dash.

FDA9B0FA-5970-4AFD-A52A-07E74DBF75F0.jpeg
looks good, which antenna mount is that one? do you have a part number? Is it just a universal lip mount? Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
voodoo11

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Diamond K400SNMO
Thanks. Didnt know if you went comet or diamond. no drilling or anything? You mounted it to the plastic cowl or the metal behind it? Also any flex with that mount? What size antennae did you go with? Thanks

OP
OP
voodoo11

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Didnt know if you went comet or diamond. no drilling or anything? You mounted it to the plastic cowl or the metal behind it? Also any flex with that mount? What size antennae did you go with? Thanks
Nope. No drilling. I mounted it to the plastic cowling. The antenna is a diamond nr770 nmo, 40 inches.

OP
OP
voodoo11

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good. Why mount the HT if you have the FTM400 up there?
It was my first transceiver. And I figure I would keep it handy if I want to get out of the vehicle for spotting, hiking, etc. But yeah, no real reason to mount it.

Sponsored

AdiosEsposito

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon (2-door)
This is awesome. Thanks for posting! I'm a longtime lurker and this is literally my first post. Do you have any photos of the cabling or the footwell mount? My JL is due to arrive next week and I've been hunting for FTM-400 installs. I like yours!

OP
OP
voodoo11

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This is awesome. Thanks for posting! I'm a longtime lurker and this is literally my first post. Do you have any photos of the cabling or the footwell mount? My JL is due to arrive next week and I've been hunting for FTM-400 installs. I like yours!
I'll go take some photos later today and post them here.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I'll go take some photos later today and post them here.
Any pics more detail pics on the install? This whole set up is great. That 400DXR is hard to get now.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Anyone find a good place for an auxiliary speaker preferably close to driver

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads