Skinny vs fatties

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I know most of the Jeepers out there seem to prefer a big fat tire, but I am wondering if there are any others out there who prefer the looks / performance of a tall and skinny tire.
Also, if anyone has fitted narrow tires, I would appreciate a photo posting. Curious to see how the JL looks in that configuration.
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I can't imagine it looking good but here we are ingrained to wider tires here. Does Europe restrict/charge a tax for larger tires? Seems owners from some countries there have stated that.

wordslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grand cherokee
This is one of those topics that I find interesting. I am not sure what the science is on which works better, but I can certainly see why the thinner might work better. If I were guessing, I would think the fatter tires would work better on rocks (surface area) and the thinner ones do better in mud/snow because of being able to find the bottom easier.

I actually like how they look. I think it would be fun to have a knock around jeep TJ and have a set of those skinny tires on it.

Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
In my experience and opinion the thin tires are better for snow. Snow tends to pile up in front of wide front tires. Then you are pushing to get over it. Also, when changing lanes on snow covered highways the thin tires cut through the ruts instead of grabbing your wheels or hyrdroplaning over them. As far as mud, I dont have much input on that. But I have noticed that farm tractors use tall thin tires. I personally have and like the look of a wider tire.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I am thinking use thinner tire as a spare, thinner but same height. Like 34/10.5 for 315/70/R17

Kaliks&Bones

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve searched a lot for actual users of Nittos 37x11.50R18 which actually measures out at 11.42” but couldn’t find anyone. Even wrote Nitto and they didn’t have any mounted pics. It’s basically the same width as the stock 33 but 4” taller. It’s also D Rated.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Many years ago, the R&D think tank for Honda made a test rig with load transducers and other instrumentation that was towed behind a larger vehicle. The goal was to test the effects of motorcycle tire diameters and widths in various soft ground types. One conclusion I heard was that larger diameter tires have a greater effect than wider on soft ground. Of course, larger diameter and larger width together have even more positive effect. But the point is, if the choice is one or the other, larger diameter has more effect.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
This is one of those topics that I find interesting. I am not sure what the science is on which works better, but I can certainly see why the thinner might work better. If I were guessing, I would think the fatter tires would work better on rocks (surface area) and the thinner ones do better in mud/snow because of being able to find the bottom easier.

I actually like how they look. I think it would be fun to have a knock around jeep TJ and have a set of those skinny tires on it.
Narrow tend to do better in snow. Wider in mud. The thin ones dig and get you stuck. The fat ones float and keep you on top of it.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
In my experience and opinion the thin tires are better for snow. Snow tends to pile up in front of wide front tires. Then you are pushing to get over it. Also, when changing lanes on snow covered highways the thin tires cut through the ruts instead of grabbing your wheels or hyrdroplaning over them. As far as mud, I dont have much input on that. But I have noticed that farm tractors use tall thin tires. I personally have and like the look of a wider tire.
This has been my experience. I know the popular opinion is to install 35" diameter (or bigger) tires that are at least 12.5" (315mm) wide. Those really wide tires are great for dry roads, sand and rock crawling. Basically great for anything where a large contact patch is beneficial.
As you correctly described though, they suck in the snow and slush. In N.E. Ohio we get a lot of snow due to lake effect. I'm not putting on 315's for that reason alone. I'll most likely get a 285/75/17 or 34 x 10.5. If I could find a 10.5" - 11" wide 35 I might go that big,but that extra width is awful in the snow.

As for mud. It kinda depends on how deep the mud is and how soft the ground is beneath it. If it's really swampy where you need to "float" a bit the wider tire is better. However, if there's rock beneath the mud and it's close enough to the surface that your tire can reach it, you're in great shape with a tire the cuts through.

So to answer the question fat or skinny. I prefer skinny, but that's just me.

PS. Marc, I'm digging the look of all 3 of them. Any idea what size/style those are on the first two?

OP
OP

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I would also mention that in my experience, narrow tires also give good performance in sand when aired down. I have not really done much mud driving so I cannot speak to that.
Snow, like the other say, the narrows tend to a better pick there. An aired down narrow tires is also more comfortable over rough corrugations (washboards) in my experience as well.
I guess I just prefer the "old school" look of a narrow offroad tire.
Does Europe restrict/charge a tax for larger tires? Seems owners from some countries there have stated that.
Taxes, no. The cost for KO2 is the same as in the states. Some countries allow up to an 8% increase in size. Germany is less, but I am not sure what it is.
Another consideration for us is the difference in fuel consumption as narrow tires will naturally use a lot less fuel. We pay around $7-8 / gallon so a few MPG difference adds up to a lot of cash at the end of the day.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I love the look and ride of my fatties but I had no idea how bad the spray would be. Hell, the tires spray MY OWN WINDSHIELD. I'm just shaking my head. Who needs a car in front of them when you can just drench yourself.

I don't think I'd change them bc they look badass but I have a lot more respect for tires that fit under the fenders now

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I like the look of skinnies. Sometimes I think the wide tire/rim combo makes jeeps look like a squatty bull dog instead of a nimble mountain goat.

wordslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grand cherokee
I like the look of skinnies. Sometimes I think the wide tire/rim combo makes jeeps look like a squatty bull dog instead of a nimble mountain goat.
I can appreciate the skinny look, too. Back when I was young, I remember this guy having a ford pickup highboy. I thought it was the coolest looking truck at the time. The tires on it were very skinny.
Sponsored