How to put the Jeep on jack stands?

RSteckhahn

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S; 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
I’ve searched around and read some conflicting info. It seems that jack stands should be put on the axle tubes near the shock mounts. I’ve also read that the car can be jacked/supported by the frame.

Most say use a floor jack under the rear diff, and either the front diff, or the axle right next to the front diff (since it is off-center). Some advise against this. Others suggest using rags or a woodblock to relieve pressure on the diff.

Whatever the case, I plan to be removing all 4 wheels at once and want to get it right. My last car had a very specific central hacking point in the front and rear, and 4 very specific jack stand mounts.

Any advice from those with good knowledge and experience is appreciated!
Sponsored

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve searched around and read some conflicting info. It seems that jack stands should be put on the axle tubes near the shock mounts. I’ve also read that the car can be jacked/supported by the frame.

Most say use a floor jack under the rear diff, and either the front diff, or the axle right next to the front diff (since it is off-center). Some advise against this. Others suggest using rags or a woodblock to relieve pressure on the diff.

Whatever the case, I plan to be removing all 4 wheels at once and want to get it right. My last car had a very specific central hacking point in the front and rear, and 4 very specific jack stand mounts.

Any advice from those with good knowledge and experience is appreciated!
I have always used 4 stands at the axles to get all 4 tires off the ground. Put the fronts on one at a time and usually put the jack under the diff for the rear...but you can do it at the axle tubes closer to the wheels too. One suggestion...make sure you leave enough room for your jack stand. Don't ask. LOL

OP
OP

RSteckhahn

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have always used 4 stands at the axles to get all 4 tires off the ground. Put the fronts on one at a time and usually put the jack under the diff for the rear...but you can do it at the axle tubes closer to the wheels too. One suggestion...make sure you leave enough room for your jack stand. Don't ask. LOL
So, put the floor jack on one side of the front axle at a time and leave space between the floor jack and the shock mount to put the jack stand? Makes sense, but sounds tight.

OP
OP

RSteckhahn

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends what you are trying to do. Generally, it's best to put jackstands under the frame.
I’m trying to get the Jeep in the air with all 4 wheels off simultaneously. Are there specific spots under the frame to put jack stands? Jeep has suggested jack stand points published - they specify holding close to jack mounts.

Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I did this a week or so ago to rotate my tires. 4 jack stands any my floor jack. Jacked the rear up by the differential (with a piece of wood to protect the pumpkin) then put the jack stands under the axels where they meet the shocks.

Did the same thing in the front. But I won’t do that again. The differential is so offcentered thenjeep came up way tilted.

Next time I’ll probably jack under my Ace rock sliders and see if I can get it up high enough to get the jack stands under the axels.

As far as people saying don’t jack by the differentials. Here’s my thoughts, these Jeeps must be designed to bang down full weight on the differential, otherwise people would be bending axels left and right.

If you do a google search on the subject, you will not get much agreement between sources. My feeling is that no one wants to recommend doing this because the car is precariously balanced until you get the stands under the axels.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP

RSteckhahn

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did this a week or so ago to rotate my tires. 4 jack stands any my floor jack. Jacked the rear up by the differential (with a piece of wood to protect the pumpkin) then put the jack stands under the axels where they meet the shocks.

Did the same thing in the front. But I won’t do that again. The differential is so offcentered thenjeep came up way tilted.

Next time I’ll probably jack under my Ace rock sliders and see if I can get it up high enough to get the jack stands under the axels.

As far as people saying don’t jack by the differentials. Here’s my thoughts, these Jeeps must be designed to bang down full weight on the differential, otherwise people would be bending axels left and right.

If you do a google search on the subject, you will not get much agreement between sources. My feeling is that no one wants to recommend doing this because the car is precariously balanced until you get the stands under the axels.
Exactly. It’s odd to me that there aren’t distinct jacking points identified to make it less “precarious”.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Exactly. It’s odd to me that there aren’t distinct jacking points identified to make it less “precarious”.
Its not identified, but if you have steel bumpers with recovery points they should easily be jack points. Ace, LOD and others say thier rock slides are jack points. Since the Jeep has an actual frame as opposed to most cars with unibody construction, anywhereon the frame should be a jack point.

Keep in mind I assume we’re talking a floor jack and properly chocked wheels on a solid surface.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
When removing or installing coil springs you’ll need to find a support point for jack stands other than the axles so that the axles can fully droop enough to relieve pressure on the springs. You have to get it pretty high up to allow room for enough droop to do this. Make sure you’ve got tall enough stands.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
When removing or installing coil springs you’ll need to find a support point for jack stands other than the axles so that the axles can fully droop enough to relieve pressure on the springs. You have to get it pretty high up to allow room for enough droop to do this. Make sure you’ve got tall enough stands.
This.

If you are lifting via the frame, you are going to go pretty high. Have you seen the "flex" on some of these? Perfect job for a lift. See if you have a do it yourself garage in your area and head on over.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
This.

If you are lifting via the frame, you are going to go pretty high. Have you seen the "flex" on some of these? Perfect job for a lift. See if you have a do it yourself garage in your area and head on over.
I did it without a lift. But I had to go purchase a new floor jack and 12 ton jack stands at HF in the middle of my lift instal. None of the 3 floor jacks I own had enough lift. 6 ton jack stands didn’t go high enough to let wheels full droop when placed under the frame.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
I did it without a lift. But I had to go purchase a new floor jack and 12 ton jack stands at HF in the middle of my lift instal. None of the 3 floor jacks I own had enough lift. 6 ton jack stands didn’t go high enough to let wheels full droop when placed under the frame.
Perseverance is also an asset. ;-)

I tried a floor jack when I rotated my tires, said, "Let me be smart" couldn't get the frame high enough to break the tires off the ground. Did one at a time with the Axel jack.