Sponsored

DIY writeup / instructions: mounting backup lights in the spare tire....

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Can’t wait until darkness….. just installed my backup lights in 2018 Rubicon JL Wrangler 2Dr. This is my forth Jeep and back lighting is an issue at night. I was hoping my new JL with LED lights would be better. It wasn’t….

So here the look of how bright the backup lights look..…
7 new bul installed.jpeg

In the pdf will show you the final look and photos.
IMG_1792.jpeg

MacJack

Here is the instructions pdf to see more photos and details....

Thank you ! I did the same.

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you ! I did the same.
So did you connect to AUX switch? I put mine on AUX 3 and found a new use.... I used it to rear flash friends and my UPS driver behind me in the daytime.

Enjoy the ride.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
So did you connect to AUX switch? I put mine on AUX 3 and found a new use.... I used it to rear flash friends and my UPS driver behind me in the daytime.

Enjoy the ride.
Same basically, I put mine on aux 4. It does make for a nice flasher :)

Sponsored

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
Can’t wait until darkness….. just installed my backup lights in 2018 Rubicon JL Wrangler 2Dr. This is my forth Jeep and back lighting is an issue at night. I was hoping my new JL with LED lights would be better. It wasn’t….

So here the look of how bright the backup lights look..…
7 new bul installed.jpeg

In the pdf will show you the final look and photos.
IMG_1792.jpeg

MacJack

Here is the instructions pdf to see more photos and details....
@MacJack - Thanks so much for the write up. I did my Sport S the exact same way with the KC Hilites and Wow what a difference they make. I don’t know why I put this off for so long. Probably because it’s been too damn cold.

BritishGuy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue, 6sp. (SOLD)
This would be perfect for those idiots who love to drive behind you with their brights on! The older I get, the more this bothers me.

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
This would be perfect for those idiots who love to drive behind you with their brights on! The older I get, the more this bothers me.
So true.... when I first installed them I wired to wrong AUX switch so they where on all day until someone said you backup lights are on... O well fixed it in 10 minutes and was not at night otherwise I would see my back all lite up at night.

TimR

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Question: I already have my lights hooked up to my reverse lights. If I want to hook them to my aux button, do I just need to run a power (hot) wire from the lights to the aux button or do I need to run a neg wire too?

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Question: I already have my lights hooked up to my reverse lights. If I want to hook them to my aux button, do I just need to run a power (hot) wire from the lights to the aux button or do I need to run a neg wire too?
No need to run power as AUX 3 has power... see attached from manual... If you have not found the wires, go look at some youTube vides.

Attachments

Sponsored

TimR

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
No need to run power as AUX 3 has power... see attached from manual... If you have not found the wires, go look at some youTube vides.
My apologies...I probably wasn't super clear. I know there are wires already going to the aux buttons and I know where they are at. As I previously stated, my lights are already hooked up to the trailer hitch wiring harness to come on when I put it in reverse. I want to be able to additionally turn them on by using the aux buttons...do I just run a wire to the factory installed wires that's already run for the aux buttons?

Last edited:
OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
My apologies...I probably wasn't super clear. I know there are wires already going to the aux buttons and I know where they are at. As I previously stated, my lights are already hooked up to the trailer hitch wiring harness to come on when I put it in reverse. I want to be able to additionally turn them on by using the aux buttons...do I just run a wire to the factory installed wires that's already run for the aux buttons?
Yes and No.... you will need a diode so it will not get twice the volts.... Go to Radio Shack and tell them what you want to do and they will lead you to a diode allowing you to use both with out blowing out your lights.

TimR

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yes and No.... you will need a diode so it will not get twice the volts.... Go to Radio Shack and tell them what you want to do and they will lead you to a diode allowing you to use both with out blowing out your lights.
Thanks.

SpeedKills

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2-Door, 2008 Rubicon 2-Door,2014 Ram 1500, 2013 CRF250L
I believe the diode is to prevent backfeedung from one electrical circuit to the to the other. I don't know how you get twice the voltage with 2x 12 volt systems wired in parallel.

Big Al D

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase