Sponsored

40s to 38s inch tires - I left the cool kids table. Why?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 392 Rubicon
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
Well, I'm here to tell ya....I made the right choice. For ME.

I was one of the early ones to put 40s on a JL. Not the 1st, not the last..but I did it. And it looked amazing. It also did very well offroad.

That being said, the JL as a whole does amazing off road no matter what . Did the 40s help? Maybe. Huge obstacles, ya. So of course with the 40s came the questions on longevity of parts. There was no doubt that 40s will shorten lifespan of many stock and aftermarket parts. I was also on the bare minimum of lift for 40s, and it remaining functional. Even when properly bumpstopped...I had issues front and rear with rubbing and lack of uptravel. Certainly far from utilizing the potential of my Metalcloak lift and of my Jeep, period.

I made the decision awhile back to try 38s and give em an honest go, so I finally did. Heres what I gained by dropping down to 38s (that sounds so weird).
  • 3.5+mpg better.
  • no rubbing whatsoever.
  • better steering
  • less worry about breakage and shortening of parts lifespans.
  • significantly better braking
  • 1/2 second faster to 60
  • easier fit in to my garage, lol.
  • more uptravel.
  • better handling & stability

Okok, so how about some downsides Mr JL.Rubitron?
Looks? Debatable
Ground clearance, yes...lost 0.8". Im currently at a very respectable 13.0" to the front diff right now.
Leverage on very large obstacles, slightly.

I still plan on doing axles at some point, but its no longer a 100% necessity.
There is little to no where I cannot go on these 38s, that I want to go anyway.
It still looks hot as hell.
My new tires are stickier, quieter. Bonus.

It really boils down to what you want. Form, or function. I built for both, but I also went in to it knowing I'd make changes down the line if I felt I was lacking in function. This is step 1. Could I have lifted more, yes. Could I have cut more, yes. Again though, function. I feel like now I am in an ideal situation. I prefer to keep the Jeep as low as possible Especially before Moab EJS. I like the lower center of gravity, the better handling and stability.

Since we are on topic here, let me tell you about the 38s. Ive long been on the fence about Milestar Patagonia. No matter how much I researched them I saw a huge gap. Absolute Love, or Troll level hate. That led me to believe that most likely neither was true. I was wrong. Ive heard the term "cheater tire" when it comes to these. Also, hard to believe based on price point. Again, I was wrong. Ive been around the block with a lot of tire companies. All of the big boys. A couple of no name companies too. So far, Ive only put around 600 miles and 2 off road trips on these but they have already massively impressed me. Quietest MT Ive been on so far. Stickier than I could have hoped for. Lots of slick rock and granite around these parts. No issues. Grab n go. Looks, truthfully middle of the road. Snow, very nice. Obviously an AT will have an advantage here, but for a MT...impressive. Wear? Not sure yet. They are sticky so I dont expect miracles as far as mileage goes. It cant possibly be much longer before they realize they are up there with all the big dogs. Grab a set to try while the $$ is still good!

I left the cool kids table...and I'm ok with it.

20190211_162448-01.jpeg

20190211_154146-01(1).jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
Totally pumped to read this post, I'm a first-time Wrangler owner and went with 35" Milestar Patagonia tires (putting them on in 2 days) and was finding the same thing. Lovers and haters, but nothing in-between. This clinched it for me.

rcpeters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2019
I curious what's was the estimated milage for each size (and OEM size if you have that also)?

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
The cool kids know better and are running 38 inch and 40 inch tires using Dana 60 axles and big brakes with a V-8. The wrangler in stock form with Dana 44-ish axles is not set up for a 38 or 40. Those tires are way more suited for full-size truck action Dana 60 , Dana 70 , big V-8 , diesel power. Just the weight of a 40 inch tire and wheel on a stock wrangler is silly.

Sponsored

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This is exactly my plan, Jondrew.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I've run 38s and 40s on multiple Jeeps.

38x13.50r17 Yokohama MT+
38x13.50r17 Milestar Patagonia
40x13.50r17 Pro Comp MT2
40x13.50r17 Milestar Patagonia

To be honest, I tend to be happier with the 38s. Less lift required, jeep is more responsive, tends to ride a bit nicer, does better in winter conditions etc.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
great post.... Thank you, I have experienced the same. I ended up on deciding with a node to 37" trepador creepy crawlers. Sticky as well but with deep lugs to grab rocks as they fold. I ran them at 5psi and it was another world of traction.

I never had the courage to do 40's, I have broke many dana 60, with 35" swampers... I am super impressed that the jl's are holding up to 37"..
time will tell... I hit the Rubicon this august, should be a good test.

WP_20181127_20_07_44_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20181223_09_55_20_Pro_LI.jpg

kmo8762

First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu Rubicon
Without gutting and completely rebuilding, its seems silly to me to go bigger than 37's

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

OP
OP
The Custom Jeep Builder

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
I curious what's was the estimated milage for each size (and OEM size if you have that also)?
I was on 37s within 200 miles, so no real oem size input there.
mixed 50/50 driving and on stock gears for a long time.
37s/410s 16ish,as long as I wasnt on hwy too much
40s/410s short lived, 10ish
40s/513 12-12.5
38s/513 15.5-16 so far.

OP
OP
The Custom Jeep Builder

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
The cool kids know better and are running 38 inch and 40 inch tires using Dana 60 axles and big brakes with a V-8. The wrangler in stock form with Dana 44-ish axles is not set up for a 38 or 40. Those tires are way more suited for full-size truck action Dana 60 , Dana 70 , big V-8 , diesel power. Just the weight of a 40 inch tire and wheel on a stock wrangler is silly.
Some cool kids are also "testing". And that was my intention, test til failure. However, theyve held up well and I have some upcoming events that I want to survive. If they make it through EJS on the 8&9 level trails...(I'm attempting to Truss and rcv prior to then though)..that'll say a lot
Have you driven a big tire'd & geared JL? Power is fine. I ran 8.0 to 60 full weight (im 600+lbs over stock). Not saying it isnt a big piece of rotating mass tho, it def is. Oh yea, 7.45 to 60 now on 38s
These are without a doubt quite an upgrade from Jk44s...but also obviously not meant for long term use/abuse on a big combo. No argument here.

Without gutting and completely rebuilding, its seems silly to me to go bigger than 37's
Trusses & Rcvs are gonna go a looooooong way on this stock assembly honestly. I can break an axle on 37s too, hell even 35s. All depends on what you choose to do with your foot.

Emptypockets

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2006 LJR on JK axles
Well, I'm here to tell ya....I made the right choice. For ME.

I was one of the early ones to put 40s on a JL. Not the 1st, not the last..but I did it. And it looked amazing. It also did very well offroad.

That being said, the JL as a whole does amazing off road no matter what . Did the 40s help? Maybe. Huge obstacles, ya. So of course with the 40s came the questions on longevity of parts. There was no doubt that 40s will shorten lifespan of many stock and aftermarket parts. I was also on the bare minimum of lift for 40s, and it remaining functional. Even when properly bumpstopped...I had issues front and rear with rubbing and lack of uptravel. Certainly far from utilizing the potential of my Metalcloak lift and of my Jeep, period.

I made the decision awhile back to try 38s and give em an honest go, so I finally did. Heres what I gained by dropping down to 38s (that sounds so weird).
  • 3.5+mpg better.
  • no rubbing whatsoever.
  • better steering
  • less worry about breakage and shortening of parts lifespans.
  • significantly better braking
  • 1/2 second faster to 60
  • easier fit in to my garage, lol.
  • more uptravel.
  • better handling & stability

Okok, so how about some downsides Mr JL.Rubitron?
Looks? Debatable
Ground clearance, yes...lost 0.8". Im currently at a very respectable 13.0" to the front diff right now.
Leverage on very large obstacles, slightly.

I still plan on doing axles at some point, but its no longer a 100% necessity.
There is little to no where I cannot go on these 38s, that I want to go anyway.
It still looks hot as hell.
My new tires are stickier, quieter. Bonus.

It really boils down to what you want. Form, or function. I built for both, but I also went in to it knowing I'd make changes down the line if I felt I was lacking in function. This is step 1. Could I have lifted more, yes. Could I have cut more, yes. Again though, function. I feel like now I am in an ideal situation. I prefer to keep the Jeep as low as possible Especially before Moab EJS. I like the lower center of gravity, the better handling and stability.

Since we are on topic here, let me tell you about the 38s. Ive long been on the fence about Milestar Patagonia. No matter how much I researched them I saw a huge gap. Absolute Love, or Troll level hate. That led me to believe that most likely neither was true. I was wrong. Ive heard the term "cheater tire" when it comes to these. Also, hard to believe based on price point. Again, I was wrong. Ive been around the block with a lot of tire companies. All of the big boys. A couple of no name companies too. So far, Ive only put around 600 miles and 2 off road trips on these but they have already massively impressed me. Quietest MT Ive been on so far. Stickier than I could have hoped for. Lots of slick rock and granite around these parts. No issues. Grab n go. Looks, truthfully middle of the road. Snow, very nice. Obviously an AT will have an advantage here, but for a MT...impressive. Wear? Not sure yet. They are sticky so I dont expect miracles as far as mileage goes. It cant possibly be much longer before they realize they are up there with all the big dogs. Grab a set to try while the $$ is still good!

I left the cool kids table...and I'm ok with it.

20190211_162448-01.jpeg

20190211_154146-01(1).jpeg

Did you get the tires for free or purchase them at retail? I am just curious if this post is slightly biased... I ran the 38 pats for 10,000 miles and think they are a great tire. I've since jumped to a 40 and a different brand.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
The Custom Jeep Builder

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
Did you get the tires for free or purchase them at retail? I am just curious if this post is slightly biased... I ran the 38 pats for 10,000 miles and think they are a great tire. I've since jumped to a 40 and a different brand.
Been waiting for this question! Thank you.

This gives me an opportunity to tell people a bit about "sponsored" rigs. Ill be making its own post about this topic too.

Ive been in this game a long time. Sponsored products and build partners are not necessarily what most think. Usually quite the opposite. That being said, I received my Patagonias at a discounted rate. A bit less than wholesale. Ive had other tires given to me free of charge on this and other builds from my past. So no, not free on these..but yes, discounted. Lets go ahead and think on that for a moment tho. I took off free tires to buy these. like I said...I did a lot of research on these before I pulled that trigger.

Ill dive deeper in my other post youll find in the general section, but "nothings free" in this world. HERES A LINK

My posts, my reviews and my words are my own. I cherry pick what products I use. I passed on a TON of free parts that didnt fit my vision, my plans or my needs. I paid for a lot of things. And if I did get "given" something...I was 100% clear that any feedback I gave on those items would be unbiased. I wont sign contracts that tell me I can only say good things. ever.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.