Stock JL Rubicon on the Rubicon Trail?

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
For anyone who has ever done this trail, or has an opinion ;), do you think the new JL Rubicon stock, with steel bumpers of course, would make it?
On a related note, is there anything like this in the NE US or Eastern Canada?

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
For anyone who has ever done this trail, or has an opinion ;), do you think the new JL Rubicon stock, with steel bumpers of course, would make it?
Not with me behind the wheel. :)

I think the truck is capable, though. I mean, a Geo Tracker did a lot better than I’d have thought!

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
...do you think the new JL Rubicon stock, with steel bumpers of course, would make it?
So you're of the opinion that steel bumpers are the critical success factor in extreme off roading?

While just about every extreme trail has been conquered by relatively pedestrian vehicles, I'd never attempt them in a stock Rubicon. Unless you're in the top 1% of off-road skills and have an experienced spotter, it's not worth the risk.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Those were some pretty serious ORV's at times struggling to get through and frequently getting the crap beat out of them. Probably a very experienced driver could negotiate a stock Rubi through there but I doubt it would look anything on the other side like it did going in.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Jeep took a stock TJ through it back in the early 90's. JL would make it no problem with the right driver.

Sponsored

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
As word302 has stated, the First production Rubicon TJ made it through in stock form, hence how it got its name.

I doubt it is any less capable today as it was back then.

It is also worthy to note the trail does change from seasonal and weather influences.

OP
OP
crash13

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
So you're of the opinion that steel bumpers are the critical success factor in extreme off roading?
Only added them to the equation since they would be considered 'stock'. From the videos I've seen, yes, it would get the crap beat out of it but with a skilled driver should make it. Doubtful I'll ever get to experience the trail, but who knows....

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
Jeep took a stock TJ through it back in the early 90's. JL would make it no problem with the right driver.
Absolutely!

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I did it as part of a jeep jamboree Mark smith. I think we did it bone stock tj rubicon’s and as I recall we by passed big sluice but did everything else. Of course we had spotters because ther were times you couldn’t see much but sky. So yes I believe that a jl stock or jlu stock would be easily able to do it.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I did it as part of a jeep jamboree Mark smith. I think we did it bone stock tj rubicon’s and as I recall we by passed big sluice but did everything else. Of course we had spotters because ther were times you couldn’t see much but sky. So yes I believe that a jl stock or jlu stock would be easily able to do it.
Are there many bypasses on the rubicon trail? I would love to do it one day but I'm a bit nervous taking my JLUR through it even though I will be running 35s and a 2" lift.

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
There is plenty like that up here I have yet to go but heard good things about jericho mountain state park in new hampshire, and field and forest in harrisville nh will do public weekends every so often was a spot on the ultimate adventure one year and they struggled from people I know that were spotters and has only gotten worse (better) plus is a great base camp to hit up all the class 6 roads in nh

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Yes there by passes on many tough spots and the trail though difficult is not so tight that risk a lot of body damage. But you absolutely need a good spotter because you are often driving blind I would go with a club or other organized run. Remember they took stock ones through it just fine so you could do it too

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Just be aware there are many forks and parallel paths on the trail, there is varying degrees of difficulty and you could make it across it in a bone stock Sport because there are alternate routes around the difficult bits like Soup Bowl, Little Sluice ( Old Sluice is actually a separate route now ) and the area near Cadillac hill.

Sometimes due to trail damage or changes after winter run-off stuff can be tougher than it was last year, but usually by July it’s back to normal. On the toughest path I think the stock Rubicon would get held-up, because you can always make an easier trail tougher by choosing a route that isn’t needed, but that way it ups the challenge, fun and sense of accomplishment... however, it would fare better than anything else stock.

It’s not the toughest in the world, but it is a great trail with a lot of options, places to rest, eat, and just enjoy the scenery and fellow off-roaders’ company... it’s just F’in busy in the Summer, so bring some snacks and a relaxed attitude to take the time and make the wise choices to do it right.
Sponsored