Excessive bowing issue with Mopar lift kit springs for JL

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
All this being said. I would imagine if you installed RK pads, its an easy way for them to say F this we dont have to deal with the headache.
After installing the RK pads the headache is gone. A $30 fix!

I recommend that you and many others google the Magnus-Moss act. They cant void your warranty for installing after market parts. Obviously the after market part isn't covered but the factory warranty stays intact for everything else. A service manager that denies warranty claims will be unemployed quickly these days.[/QUOTE]

Thank God you brought that up. I was wondering when somebody was gonna say something about Magnus-Moss. This goes for any aftermarket part, youā€™re in good hands with Magnus-Moss!
Sponsored

sfadchi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Bright White JLUR
Occupation
Corporate Recruiter
I installed my kit about a month ago. My kit was dated June 18, so it should have had the updated pads. The springs were still slightly bowed and the pads were already starting to be crushed. I decided to just switch out the pads with the RK ones. They look perfect now. Just a much much better product!

Also for anyone making the switch, the easy way is to take a lashing strap. Disconnect your sway bar. Jack that side all the way up. Strap your spring up then let the axle down with a jack stand under the frame. Pop the spring right out. Made for a simple swap.

IMG_5029.JPG
IMG_4034.jpg
IMG_2651.jpg

Bszczepanski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
When the new spring perch is put on does a wheel alignment need to be done again or does it have no effect?

Csward12

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I donā€™t know for sure, so donā€™t quote me, but I donā€™t know why it would need one.

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
When the new spring perch is put on does a wheel alignment need to be done again or does it have no effect?
It has no effect in that regard. No alignment is necessary after swapping perches.

Last edited:

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Hi Jeep Cares,
I sure hope you can help me with this. The over the air update went out I got the notice on my radio & scheduled the isntall. Went to lunch came back and the update said 70% done. I hopped in drove home the update finshed while I was driving and said installed successfully .

ONLY it did not.

There are no off road pages there is no ability to check the health of the vehicle and I don't know what else is missing. I called Unconnect and the lady there said that it looks to them like the up date went through but when I desrcibed what is missing she said it clearly did not go through. I asked if they could re-send the update over the air. she said they don't have the ability to do that.

So here i am in a nutshell: It looks like the update went through but it clearly did not.

I have heard a rumor that the update is going out again in a couple of days . Is this true ? Will it contain the off road pages and my vehicle health?

Do I need to go the dealer to get this fixed?

Please help. Thanks

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
My passenger spring touches the bump stop at rest. My kit has the correction pads. Is this normal?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My passenger spring touches the bump stop at rest. My kit has the correction pads. Is this normal?
Take it in. It should not be touching the bump stop under any conditions. That sounds like they didn't position the spring correctly on the pad, or didn't position the pad correctly. Just to be thorough, I'd also have them check that they put the correct spring pads on each side.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
So did mine, The dealer replaced the entire lift and all is good. I also had a leaking front passenger shock that was 3 months backordered which helped to get the lift replaced....

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I've always said it comes down to the person installing it. My dealer did a great job they have an aftermarket Department and they are very picky on how they do things. Seanwho runs the aftermarket department for Rodger Williams Chrysler in Weatherford Texas is a perfectionist he quality controls everything that lives there and make sure it's done right he traced every Jeep and car that he takes care of their like it's his own

Sponsored

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I wish Jeep would take some responsibility and make a statement about this.

Itā€™s rubbing at rest. Iā€™ll post pics shortly. The spring is correctly seated on the pad.

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE

Itā€™s rubbing at rest. Iā€™ll post pics shortly. The spring is correctly seated on the pad.
The Mopar isolators do you not fix their own problems of bowling Springs and springs hitting bumps stops. Do you only way to fix this the correct way is to buy rock crawler isolators they are the fix to this problem and you springs will be straight and your bump stops will no longer get your springs.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've always said it comes down to the person installing it. My dealer did a great job they have an aftermarket Department and they are very picky on how they do things. Seanwho runs the aftermarket department for Rodger Williams Chrysler in Weatherford Texas is a perfectionist he quality controls everything that lives there and make sure it's done right he traced every Jeep and car that he takes care of their like it's his own

Uh, they did. They created a new part and contacted me to bring it in for installation. Mine never rubbed the bump stop, even off-roading, but they still took care of it. They made a statement with their actions, which is a better way to do it. They then contacted me afterward and told me if I had any more issues to bring it in and they'd take care of it. I'm not sure how that can be construed as not taking responsibility or ownership.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Mopar isolators do you not fix their own problems of bowling Springs and springs hitting bumps stops. Do you only way to fix this the correct way is to buy rock crawler isolators they are the fix to this problem and you springs will be straight and your bump stops will no longer get your springs.
I've seen a set of Rock Crawlers and they bowed the same as the Mopar fix on my Jeep. Not saying they all do, but that guy's did. Mine is fine, btw, with plenty of clearance. It handled Moab with flying colors. If the slight bow bothers you, then go for an aftermarket lift. I've got 16k on mine now with plenty of off-roading. It performs beautifully on and off-road. The problem with mine is solved. (Mine was close origninally, but never actually touched the bump stop, even at full flex or compression.)

I really wonder if some of these dealerships, shops, or individuals are installing them correctly. Mine also didn't shift the axles enough to make them uneven, but others have seen that. Just wondering.

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
There are so many variables at play here, that is why there are so many apparent discrepancies. Three different models we are talking about with varying springs that came with each model due to 4/2 door, hard/soft top, motor and Rubicon suspension.

When you install the lift some will see very little change and others will see a lot. The bottom line is the higher that your suspension gets lifted beyond ā€˜stock heightā€™ the front axle will shift to the drivers side and pull the passenger bump stop closer to the spring. The only way to fix this is with an adjustable track bar. The issue gets further complicated when an installation is done incorrectly. My advice to those who have a shift in their front axle is to buy an adjustable track bar. I am running the RK spring perches and an RK adjustable front track bar and the results are excellent.
Sponsored