Service Tire Pressure System

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
In the summer, I run the 37ish recommended psi in the stock 33" ko2 tires but now that winter is here in CO that tire pressure seems to equate to something in the 33-34 range. After work one day, I got a low tire pressure warning (wanted me to inflate that tire to beyond 37 psi)which I figured would go away as I drove the car and the pressure increased. It's a day later and now a Service Tire Pressure System warning comes up and I notice that the front right tire seems to show "--" while the other sensors read the old values. The front right tire pressure does display a few seconds later but the warning light is still on.

Should I adjust the "cold" tire pressure now that winter is here and that set point is different than a summer "cold" tire pressure because of the temperature? Or could this be a fault TPMS module or sensor that needs to be fixed by the dealer.
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
snip:
Should I adjust the "cold" tire pressure now that winter is here and that set point is different than a summer "cold" tire pressure because of the temperature? Or could this be a fault TPMS module or sensor that needs to be fixed by the dealer.
Adjust time pressures. This should remedy the issue.

Be sure to adjust your tire pressures in the AM, before your drive the vehicle.

IF, your "--" continues, adjust all tire pressures a bit over 37# and give some miles driving and then adjust back down to 37 psi or your preferred psi.

If doing the above does not remedy the "--" you may have a problem with that wheels sensor.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the sensors alarms are at 35# so once they get down to 30 to have to inflate to 37 to clear then you can lower back down.

I’m not going to get on the Tazer bandwagon but if you get one you can adjust those pesky alarm limits, mine are set at 30 and I run my pressure at 29-30 after chalk testing and won’t get an alarm until they get to 25

OP
OP
rizej

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@WranglerMan @Rhinebeck01 I just did that and the message cleared so I guess I'll wait until I get home tonight and then re-air down my tires (after a couple hours) to 37 psi. It would be great to have a programmer but that's not on my list until suspension lift and bigger tires so this will suffice now

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@rizej

I'm quite confident your issue was related to the drop in temperatures and the psi dipping a lot in the tire, thanks to the cold outside temps..

All my tire pressures dipped 4 psi when the cold temps hit the NY area a couple of weeks ago. I had been running 35# all Summer so to loose 4 psi got them lower the desired for sure. Anyway, I readjusted back up to 35#.

By the way, I find that running 35# works, as when the tires heat up while driving they go to 37# and the JL seems to handle well at that. IF, I set psi at 37# cold, when the tires warm up to 39#, then vehicle does not handle like I like it to...

Anyway, I do not fool with psi all the time but do take into consideration Summer or Winter and associated outdoor temps.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I am having the same issue. Inflated to 39. Still reads 33 and I also get the "--" when it first starts and the service TPMS message.

OP
OP
rizej

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I am having the same issue. Inflated to 39. Still reads 33 and I also get the "--" when it first starts and the service TPMS message.
Did you re-inflate all 4 tires so that they were above the limit it wants? It should clear pretty soon after they all re-inflated

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Are they aftermarket sensors or wheels

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Did you re-inflate all 4 tires so that they were above the limit it wants? It should clear pretty soon after they all re-inflated
Yes, all 4.
I just started the Jeep after I inflated, have not driven it yet. Does the wheels need to rotate to get a new reading?

Sponsored

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I should add it is only 20° F here.

OP
OP
rizej

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yes, all 4.
I just started the Jeep after I inflated, have not driven it yet. Does the wheels need to rotate to get a new reading?
It could be. I know that the tire pressure reading at start up is the last saved value so I'd save drive it for like 10-15ish minutes and see what happens. Maybe the system has to process a new reading above the threshold and then it will be good

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
No aftermarket, Jeep only has 2,700 miles.
If they are factory wheels and tires and nothing has been done like a lift to change the geometry of the Jeep I would start at discount tire and have them hand scan all 5 wheels to ensure the sensors are sending out a signal and if they are then I could be a bad sensor module, the TPMS sensors are self learning and no programming is necessary but the cold psi pressure needs to be at 37 or above to clear.

On a stock sport or Sahara I believe the normal pressure is at 35 and on a Rubicon it’s 37 and the way the system is setup is it alarms 5# under that mark so that would be 30 and 32 and once you get the alarm you need to be at the 37-39 mark to clear and once clear you can drop back down

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Took it for a drive, about a 1/4 mile it reset. All is right with the world again.
Sponsored