Thoughts comparing my JK to my JL

Socceref

First Name
Ref
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara (loaded)
My JL wobble started at 5K miles. My dealership took a torque wrench to the steering and chassis. A lot of bolts were not tightened to the Jeep specs. Now it is great. I have tried to induce the wobble and the JL now is very solid. I suggest this approach before you buy third party stuff

I have had my JLUR for a little over 12 months and 14.5k miles. Took my daughters (handed down) 09 JKUR for a couple hundred mile trip today and it was an interesting comparison. While I loved my JK, the JL is just a tremendous improvement of a vehicle.

- I have had it to Moab 4x and each time i just smile (and pucker a bit) as it handles trails with ease.

- Love the ride of the JL. JK is not bad, but the ride of the JL is fantastic. I forgot how amazing the ride of the JL is.

- I have almost taken for granted the awesome engine and transmission of the JL. Yes, my 09 has the mini-van engine and I was like, “seriously, does this thing have any power??”

- Now the only problem with my JL... the steering. I actually realized driving along that I felt comfortable driving the JK with one hand on the freeway. I hadn’t realize that I was not comfortable driving my JL with one hand. The JK at 104k miles has solid steering, no wobble worry - just plain awesome. Way better than my JL.

The irony of this is that my 17 year old daughter texted me and said “what’s up with your steering wheel shake?? Is that normal or did i do something wrong?”

Love the JL, just gotta solve the death wobble. Taking it back in next week so i can have this one also for another 10 years!!

58B89F45-D8AC-4EF1-9DC2-AD13E0D0EF87.jpeg
Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Could this be an issue related to the new electric powered steering? Maybe there is some software involved with that box, for controlling the user input and perhaps modifying how it responds to various other inputs. If this software/hardware combo is misinterpreting feedback from either the driver or the road, perhaps it is inducing some of these steering issues.

Guessing here, but lets say the driver hits a bump a certain way, or experiences undulations or other conditions that cause feedback in the steering ... if the electric steering does not interpret that correctly, maybe it could cause some strange behavior.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
My dealership took a torque wrench to the steering and chassis. A lot of bolts were not tightened to the Jeep specs.
Classic Jeep workmanship.
I had exactly the same on my JKU. (In SoCal) In fact, when I took in I was in the waiting room for about 30 min and the service manager came out and told me I was damn lucky to be alive. Several critical components had the nuts loosened to the point of being only being on by a 1/4 turn.
They went through the entire Jeep and found several other areas which needed attention. Some minor and some life threatening.
Once my new JLUR arrives next week, the first order of business (before coating with rust prevention) will be to check every single bolt, nut, screw, faster and so on for tightness.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
For what it's worth my JLU is currently at the dealer for the steering/death wobble issue as well as the front window defroster. FCA has been very helpful and gave me an expedited claim number. Dealership seemed to know about both issues (actually asked me about the steering vs. me having to tell him my experience) and thought they would be able to fix plus provided a loaner. I'll keep you posted.

tom1000

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
It's sad the first thing you buy for a new Jeep is something to fix a dangerous problem that it comes with from the factory.
I agree 100%. I really like everything about my JL with the exception of the steering, which I also consider a safety hazard.

Sponsored

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Chrysler and Fiat, together as one company. It’s amazing that these things even work at all. The two crappiest companies on the planet joined forces? Kinda funny. Too bad Toyota didn’t buy the brand.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Chrysler and Fiat, together as one company. It’s amazing that these things even work at all. The two crappiest companies on the planet joined forces? Kinda funny. Too bad Toyota didn’t buy the brand.
Then it would have a cheap outdated interior for another next 10 years and the headlights would bulge outside the housings.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
JL's aren't falling apart everywhere. Only on internet forums. I run across as many JL's now as I do JK's and every owner I've struck up a conversation with loves them. I've not seen any stranded by the road, either. Mine has barely had any issues 13 months and 16k into it.

I'm not downplaying the legitimate problems some forum members have had, nor the lemons that occur. I'm also not excusing FCA from taking care of serious issues. However, those things happen to all automakers. I'm just trying to bring some perspective in here. The production rate right now is over 200,000 units per year. If 2% of them had major issues, that would be over 4,000 Jeeps with problems, which in and of itself would be a lot, but 98% being good would be an excellent number, for industry standards and good odds customers will get a good one.

Btw, I always chuckle when I hear people act like Toyotas never have problems. I guess you never heard of sludging engines that Toyota denied for years, or frames rusting out prematurely on pickup trucks. Toyota is a human company run by humans, who are every bit as fallible as people working for FCA. I've owned two Toyotas and they were good, but no better than any Jeep I've had. One 4Runner had a couple issues with--guess what---front wheels wobbling. It wasn't dangerous, but they never did properly identify it and fix it, either. That same 4Runner stranded my wife in the middle of an intersection when the computer went haywire and had to be rebooted. The engine quit and the transmission would not shift. If I told you that was a Jeep, you'd say it sounds familiar. But, it was none other than a Toyota.

Last edited:

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
JL's aren't falling apart everywhere. Only on internet forums. I run across as many JL's now as I do JK's and every owner I've struck up a conversation with loves them. I've not seen any stranded by the road, either. Mine has barely had any issues 13 months and 16k into it.

I'm not downplaying the legitimate problems some forum members have had, nor the lemons that occur. I'm also not excusing FCA from taking care of serious issues. However, those things happen to all automakers. I'm just trying to bring some perspective in here. The production rate right now is over 200,000 units per year. If 2% of them had major issues, that would be over 4,000 Jeeps with problems, which in and of itself would be a lot, but 98% being good would be an excellent number, for industry standards and good odds customers will get a good one.

Btw, I always chuckle when I hear people act like Toyotas never have problems. I guess you never heard of sludging engines that Toyota denied for years, or frames rusting out prematurely on pickup trucks. Toyota is a human company run by humans, who are every bit as fallible as people working for FCA. I've owned two Toyotas and they were good, but no better than any Jeep I've had. One 4Runner had a couple issues with--guess what---front wheels wobbling. It wasn't dangerous, but they never did properly identify it and fix it, either. That same 4Runner stranded my wife in the middle of an intersection when the computer went haywire and had to be rebooted. The engine quit and the transmission would not shift. If I told you that was a Jeep, you'd say it sounds familiar. But, it was none other than a Toyota.

I know I’m just joking around.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Damn it! It's so hard to identify sarcasm in texts....:computerrage:

We need a sarcasm emoji :CWL:
Thanks for the clarification. Sorry I missed that. Purple text might help. :like:

EggSuckingLeech

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
My experience... never had any wobble. I installed a Rough Country 2" spacer lift and 35" tires. After that, the wandering was insane if I drove 65 mph or more. It was hard to explain the sensation. It wasn't actively wandering but it was as if I had to fully concentrate on driving. It was exhausting.

I did my research and learned that with that lift, I really needed new control arms. The lift even though minor affected my camber. So I bought and installed the Rubicon Express lower control arms.

Contrary to the JK friends of mine who said the arms weren't necessary (it's a Jeep thing), this was a game changer. No more wandering sensation at all.

So if any of you installed a lift which did not include lower control arms and you get wandering think about it.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Not really sarcasm. Just poking fun at reality. Joking around. Chrysler and Fiat are pretty bad by themselves so you have to expect a joint venture to yield some pretty bad reaults. And I do wish Toyota bought Jeep. But whatever just have fun with it. Don’t get frustrated when it wobbles and shakes and the electrical gremlins appear. Just giggle to yourself that it’s a Fiat/Chrysler doing its thing. When I bought my JK I knew I was buying a junky Chrysler. I have two Toyota trucks to rely on when my Jeep needs some TLC though.

OP
OP
szobell

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Falcon stabilizer arrived today. Putting on tonight. Hoping for an improvement and i will report back tomorrow.

OP
OP
szobell

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Installed. If this ride stays. YES!!!!!

I drove for about 25 miles on my “known problem areas” and no wobble at all. Solid steering, comfortable with one hand. It was a blizzard, but I have experienced the DW on the snow packed road before in these places, but not tonight!

I had it on “firm”, i will commute on “medium” tomorrow.

Cautiously optimistic!!
Sponsored

Last edited: